• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Looking for video card recommendations

Recommended Posts

devnulllore    31

HI, I have a Tuff Sabertooth Z77 MB with 2x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots. I currently have 2 GTX 650 TI Boost cards in SLI. I want to upgrade the 2 cards to one and need some good recommendations. I can't afford to upgrade my CPU or MB right now so please don't go there right now. Just recommendation on the best option for me. Forget the price for now just give me your best bet for me now.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xendrome    5,420

Need to know current CPU and power supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    13,225
Quote

Forget the price for now just give me your best bet for me now.

RTX 2080ti

 

Really though ... a budget would be helpful (and PSU as mentioned above).  If I'm not mistaken you have a 3770k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
3 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Need to know current CPU and power supply.

Corsair TX Series™ TX850 — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified 850 Watt High Performance Power Supply

Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
6 minutes ago, Jim K said:

RTX 2080ti

 

Really though ... a budget would be helpful (and PSU as mentioned above).  If I'm not mistaken you have a 3770k.

I think around $300 may be in my range. I think now there must be some that are MUCH better than the 650's at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    13,225

I would suggest a 1660ti for under the $300 mark.  If you can toss in another $50 you could probably get an AMD 5700

 

I wouldn't get a 1060 over the 1660ti ... about the same price but the 1660ti is stronger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
13 minutes ago, Jim K said:

I would suggest a 1660ti for under the $300 mark.  If you can toss in another $50 you could probably get an AMD 5700

 

I wouldn't get a 1060 over the 1660ti ... about the same price but the 1660ti is stronger.

Ok I am looking at this one.

 

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1267-KR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31

I can get it from EVGA or Newegg for $309. Amazon has it for $266 but from 3rd parties so I don't want to do that. EVGA seems my best bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,570
Posted (edited)

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: ASRock - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $279.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-20 12:35 EDT-0400

 

OR

 

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $309.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-20 12:36 EDT-0400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: ASRock - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $279.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-20 12:35 EDT-0400

 

OR

 

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $309.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-20 12:36 EDT-0400

I saw those but I'd rather stay with Nvidia and EVGA. I've used the Radeons before and was never happy with them

On the subject of video cards what temps would be considered nominal at rest and under stress for these cards? I think one of mine is running very hot for some reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crook    0

just get one of these https://appuals.com/best-gtx-1650/, as you have an i7 3rd gen this will be a good and safe purchase, no need to go for a expensive gpu these will get the job done as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31

I bought the GTX 1660 TI XC Ultra Gaming card. Better reviews all around

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,983

Hallelujah...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason S.    1,496

OP - congrats on the purchase. You and I have older hardware w/ more modern video cards. My CPU is a 4770k, so a bit newer than yours, but i was worried that a new GPU would be bottlenecked by the CPU. While yes, it is, it's not nearly as much as you'd think. You should have no issues w/ bottlenecking on your new GPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Red Mist    8

I'm still on a 2600k, with a 1070ti, play a lot of overwatch @1440p and SOTTR , currently this combo still doesn't bottleneck the cpu, maybe @ 1080p it would...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
17 hours ago, Red Mist said:

I'm still on a 2600k, with a 1070ti, play a lot of overwatch @1440p and SOTTR , currently this combo still doesn't bottleneck the cpu, maybe @ 1080p it would...

Never had a bottleneck with the 650's I just replaced them because of the fans dying. Hope this is not the case with the 1660. All indications is it should be smooth

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31

So far I am very pleased with this card. I think it was a very good suggestion. SOTA and Neverwinter run at full graphics and the card never broke over 42c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.