• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Router gone bad?

Mindovermaster    2,400
1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Not sure how anyone could possible find G ok... Do you not do anything on your local network, no streaming of movies or anything.. I take it your internet is slow and G is cable of handling it.. But wow how can you actually do anything with such connection... The files I move over to my nas in 30 seconds would take hours..

think you meant "capable"... 🤣

+BudMan    3,546

yup did - thanks, editing it now ;)

ThaCrip    610

@BudMan

I am on DSL. I am not a fan of streaming in general even though I don't mind streaming some basic YouTube videos here and there.

but yeah, with 420KB/s MAX (but it's more like 400KB/s give or take a little), my older router can easily handle it and I don't really transfer files much over the network as if I did it would be limited to 10-11MB/s tops and would be a problem if I did that a lot and had plenty of data to transfer. I do have a external docking station that I can connect 3.5" and 2.5" hard drives to but that uses a USB v3.0 connection so I have no limit here as the USB 3 connection will max out my hard drives.

p.s. but like I was saying... what I do have going for me is unlimited data as I am sure there is faster internet available in the area but I doubt they have unlimited as I would rather have a slower line (but still usable) with unlimited data than have something fast and be capped to say 250GB a month max etc since at 400KB/s I can potentially download as much as about 1TB(1000GB) a month). even for a conservative figure of 380KB/s... would potentially give me a theoretical maximum of right around 985GB a month. because sometimes I don't go over 250GB in a month, but sometimes I do. so basically if I have to choose between 400KB/s(0.4MB/s) and unlimited data or say 1-2MB/s (or faster) but with a 250GB a month limit, I am definitely going with the 400KB/s option.

+BudMan    3,546

Data caps would depend on your isp.. I have no such cap and download multiple TB (sometimes in a month).. Xfinity cap is 1TB a month I do believe..   I have 500/50mbps with no cap..

How much does this screaming uncapped 400KB connection cost you btw?  Mine is $59 a month..   For what 156x your speed ;)  So I would hope your cost would be in the range of 60/150  so like 40 cents a month? ;)

Glad you happy with it - but your phone has to have a faster connection just via cell ;)

ThaCrip    610

@BudMan

If that's the case they must have raised it as we had Comcast at one point in the past but they had a 250GB cap the last I knew. but at 1TB a month I can easily work with that as I doubt I even come close to that amount of data in a month as I 'might' reach around half of that or so at the most and those would be my higher months as even if I had a very fast line with unlimited data, there is only so much one can download before it becomes a obsession basically as I think some people download stuff just to collect it, sort of like a download addition as I pretty much stopped doing that years ago and only download stuff ill use etc which 1TB a month is clearly more than enough for me as the last I checked my routers general data info, off the top of my head, I am probably somewhere between 150-300GB (or so) per month most of the time.

I think my DSL is roughly $40-45 or so and I suspect your area has faster/cheaper internet than where I am at (although to be honest I have not looked around in years). I am sure Comcast has those introductory offers but I just wonder what their cheap plans are (as in straight up monthly price after the introductory offer is over) as I would be mostly concerned with the cheapest internet possible but without a data cap (or if there is a data cap it needs to be no lower than 500GB a month) and passable/usable level of speed (I would imagine anything around 3-4MB/s is plenty) because after a certain point speed becomes overkill to where it's not worth the extra monthly costs unless people are obsessed with downloading files with very little wait time. but the way I see it, if you can download a large file within a reasonable time frame, it's easily fast enough.

also, when you say 500/50mbps I assume that means your download speed is about 62.5MB/s, maybe a little less? ; if so, that's amazing as I don't think I ever had more than around 1-2MB/s off the top of my head. but I guess some people are spoiled nowadays as even anywhere around 2MB/s a sec would be great in my mind and it appears your WELL beyond that as you can get like  a 10GB file in like roughly a few minutes (assuming about 60MB/s) which is great as it takes me about 7-8hours for that same file.

your $59 a month is quite reasonable especially for that very high download speed. but personally if I could shave that down to say $30-40 or less a month for even a fraction of the speed you got I would easily do it as I am sure I would be more than happy with even 3MB/s or so as that's pretty much nearly 11GB a hour which basically means just about any large file could be downloaded in about a hour tops and I could easily wait a hour especially considering it takes me in the ball park of 7-8 hours. but anyways, since I first got my DSL, while 400KB/s sounds slow, it's MUCH better than what I originally started with which was 40KB/s.

just some thoughts and thanks for the suggestions ;)

NOTE: I never understood why people always refer to general internet speed as kbps/mbps instead of KB/s and MB/s as the KB/s and MB/s makes more sense since it's what people generally are more familiar with as when you download a basic file it's almost always going to be in KB/s or MB/s.

p.s. I don't have a cell phone. I know that's rare in today's world but I simply won't use them enough to justify the monthly costs.

+BudMan    3,546

Yeah I can see 60MBps download - normally is in the mid to high 50's.. All depends on where your getting something from to be honest..

Here just grabbed this 2GB file server off vps of mine in NL.

download.thumb.png.dca0a5339578bd737344ba405b9dac97.png

There is some fluctuation in that, and depending on time of day its can be slower, etc.. but yeah I do see my full pipe of what paying for..

I would look around for sure for better connection.. Shoot even a LTE connection would be way faster, but those sorts of connections normally do have caps.

You normally see speeds in mbps vs KB.. Because these are the speeds because bits is the base value and not bytes.. For example would normally refer to your speed as say 3mbps vs 400KB, as the speed increases you move into the next.. So for example you would call it 1gbps vs 1000mbps ;)

ThaCrip    610

@BudMan

Damn, that's amazing ;)

hell, it could fluctuate down to anywhere near 5-10MB/s and it would still be more than great. but in your case I suspect it mostly boils down to the source speed (server) of the file more than your line being the limiting factor. when you download from random websites... is your download speed quite a bit slower at times due to the server not being able to max out your line?

+BudMan    3,546

I don't download from "random" websites ;) hehehe

Other than loading the sites themselves which are not much in total size, so its kind of hard to see how fast its actually going.. But lets just say pretty much any sites pretty much just load instantly.. If a site takes more than a couple of seconds it seems like something is wrong.

I guess if you have not seen faster, then you get use to what you have... But once you see how the internet is suppose to be on a decent speed connection.. Yeah going back to something like 3mbps would be like freaking watch paint dry.. And would just be frustrating as hell.. It would drive me insane ;)

To be honest the internet at work is painfully slow to be honest..

Mindovermaster    2,400

Remember the modem days, @BudMan? Those loud little ISA/PCI modem cards? That was considered SLOW...

+BudMan    3,546

heheh dude my first modem was 600 baud... I could type faster than the data could be transferred.. the v.22 when v.32 came out wow that was screaming 2400 baud ;)

There was no ISA slots even back then.. Those didn't come out to early 80's  At school had the old ones you had to put the phone handset in ;)  Dialing into the mainframe at unlv so we could do a fortran assignments..

Mindovermaster    2,400
Posted (edited)

haha, I was only born in '85. I do know the older architecture, but never really used it like you.

Edit: And I really never got into computers until the 98/2000 days...

+BudMan    3,546

Then yeah you prob didn't get to play with the old plug your phone  handset into the modem..

Acoustic_coupler_20041015_175456_1.jpg

Mindovermaster    2,400
1 minute ago, BudMan said:

Then yeah you prob didn't get to play with the old plug your phone  handset into the modem..

Sadly, no... I have seen this in a computer museum once, but never used it.

ThaCrip    610

Our first computer was 1995 (I was born 1979) which is basically 3-5 years before computers were mainstream (so about 1998-2000 which is similar with general cell phones to) as the oldest OS I used was Win v3.11 on a 486dx2 66Mhz CPU. I think that had a 2400baud modem and 4MB of RAM (upgraded to 8MB) and a 4xxMB HDD. so I don't go back to the early days, but I go back before most people were online ;) ; I remember using 14.4/28.8 and 33 something I think and then the standard before they pretty much dumped dial-up... 56k which, is 5-6KB/s at best. so even really slow internet is lightning compared to those days but then again back then things were generally a lot less graphics heavy to keep website load times reasonable.

but you could basically say once Windows 95 came along it's overall interface is pretty much the same as today's, or similar enough. but it seems it was at least Windows 98 before computers hit mainstream status. I did use Win2k which was before WinXP, because as far as Microsoft goes, Win2k was the first stable OS that the average person could use although the first stable OS from Microsoft that was targeted at the home user was WinXP as prior to the Win2k/WinXP thing you generally had to reboot your computer fairly often as the OS's generally were not stable enough to go for several days or weeks or more like they have been since pretty much Win2k/WinXP to date.

p.s. we had high speed internet available in the area since the year 2000 as according to the person who installed it in my area said I was one of the earlier people to get it. so that will generally give you a rough idea on computers going mainstream etc. I imagine in more bigger cities it could have been a bit before that but I would say that general 1998-2000 time frame is either exactly right or pretty close to it in terms of mainstream status to where many started getting computers/internet.

4 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

And I really never got into computers until the 98/2000 days

Yeah, that's pretty much inline with the masses. like the early day's of PC/Internet going mainstream.

7 hours ago, BudMan said:

I don't download from "random" websites

Well I just mean downloading a decent sized file from a website you can generally see how quick it's downloading unless the file is not large enough for it to take at least a few minutes for you. but I guess with your speed, since it's so fast, unless the file is pretty large, it will probably be done before you can even gauge the speed it's going (probably very shortly after you start it). lol

but since I noticed your old school pictures above... that appears to be clearly before my day. but internet in general was pretty much not available to the general public til roughly early 1990's? ; but from a quick search online it appears it was Aug 6th 1991 when internet first became available to the general public. so I guess given that info I was roughly in between the beginning (i.e. 1991) and mainstream status (i.e. about 1998-2000) since I was 1995.

+BudMan    3,546

Before the internet was BBSes, use to dial into quite a few of those ;)  Use to send messages around the world with fido, etc. Take a few days.. But was faster than snail mail ;) hehehe

here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

• Like 1