On-Premise email vs Cloud

10 minutes ago, BudMan said:

hehehe - some very special uses you have there ;)

I am I think I am going to put up a board for dumbass ticket of the week. 

I am living the entire movie of spaceballs.  My company is spaceball1.  Not just the scene “I am surrounded by ######”. 

Those delightful tickets i reminisce of the scene “this is now, now...when will then be now.....soon!!” 

I have witnessed the scene “your Schwartz is as big as mine” as well as the statue falling on barfs foot. 

The whole damn movie. Half the company is filled with cross eyed gunners who can’t see or shoot straight.  One guy was asked to tell management what his plan was to be a better employee and to make less mistakes, he said he would finish his sop tests on time....that was his resolution.  I wish I were making this up. 

Meanwhile, I am not thinking of that place. 

32 minutes ago, sc302 said:

What I am doing right now

https://imgur.com/gallery/H9HL53n

Same.. lol

You need to unload task from your IT department as whole so they can focus on the future. Going to G-Suite does just that. Running on-perm makes no sense this days for email to be honest.  Managing you're on email these days is quite a task.. HA and DR and all.. let Office365 of Google do it for you..  If you need that extra layer.. include Zix. https://www.zixcorp.com/

@sc302 how are you liking that beer?

We are on o365 with encryption rules and blah blah blah. 

The von trapp (sounds of music family) was meh.  The golden monkey is hitting the spot. For a high alcohol content beer it is very pleasant, not too in your face.  For a more summery beer the twisted monkey is great. Can’t have too many golden monkeys, you might forget where you are 

23 hours ago, sc302 said:

The down side with mail is that it is sent in the clear.   Anybody can intercept and read.   Kind of sucks tbh.  Very rare for it to be encrypted with Tls.   IMO it really doesn’t matter where it exists.   It matters more about security and how you secure your environment. 

Well not exactly, most servers use SSL/TLS to transmit messages so they can't be 'intercepted', sure if someone can get their server in front e.g. by malipulating DNS then it will pass the email to that server instead, still via SSL/TLS but the fake server will be able to get the decrypted email, but as budman said there is PGP for that. And the #1 mail interceptor would be the government anyway, in europe they scan and store all email subjects (apparently not bodies but I'll bet they do) for a minimum of 6 years.

1 minute ago, n_K said:

Well not exactly, most servers use SSL/TLS to transmit messages so they can't be 'intercepted', sure if someone can get their server in front e.g. by malipulating DNS then it will pass the email to that server instead, still via SSL/TLS but the fake server will be able to get the decrypted email, but as budman said there is PGP for that. And the #1 mail interceptor would be the government anyway, in europe they scan and store all email subjects (apparently not bodies but I'll bet they do) for a minimum of 6 years.

I have to check to see what is getting tls’d and what isn’t.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 7:18 PM, fusi0n said:

Same.. lol

You need to unload task from your IT department as whole so they can focus on the future. Going to G-Suite does just that. Running on-perm makes no sense this days for email to be honest.  Managing you're on email these days is quite a task.. HA and DR and all.. let Office365 of Google do it for you..  If you need that extra layer.. include Zix. https://www.zixcorp.com/

@sc302 how are you liking that beer?

With a cloud anti-SPAM service and a smart host for outgoing mail, Exchange really isn't that hard to manage so maybe get some better IT that doesn't need to offload what they don't know to the cloud. "Let Google/MS do it".. That is the whole point, do you trust them more than your on-prem? Why? It is baffling to me.

10 hours ago, Bryan R. said:

With a cloud anti-SPAM service and a smart host for outgoing mail, Exchange really isn't that hard to manage so maybe get some better IT that doesn't need to offload what they don't know to the cloud. "Let Google/MS do it".. That is the whole point, do you trust them more than your on-prem? Why? It is baffling to me.

Those resources are better used for just about anything else in this day in age. It's not that I don't "trust" the IT department, it's a unnecessary. For the majority of companies, when email goes down they loose money and productivity goes with it. If you are worried about seeing/reading important emails, then you probably need to reconsider your whole communication strategy.  You are more likely to get hacked using on prem email than MS/Google reading emails for nefarious reasons. To be clear again, running Exchange isn't hard, but running it effectively consumes resources that is better doing something else. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fusi0n said:

Those resources are better used for just about anything else in this day in age. It's not that I don't "trust" the IT department, it's a unnecessary. For the majority of companies, when email goes down they loose money and productivity goes with it. If you are worried about seeing/reading important emails, then you probably need to reconsider your whole communication strategy.  You are more likely to get hacked using on prem email than MS/Google reading emails for nefarious reasons. To be clear again, running Exchange isn't hard, but running it effectively consumes resources that is better doing something else. 

It takes up some RAM that's for sure, and you are right that that RAM could be better used. 

But more likely to be hacked using on-Prem? I don't care to start taking the thread in circles but I don't find that to be true. With on-Prem, strong password enforcement is one thing, but centralized account auth to one AD, + account lockout, + a notification direct to me is what I consider the cream of the crop as far as security.

I found out today that basic G-Suite accounts do not include Vault which is for email retention and ligitaion holds. If an account is compromised and emails are lost, without physical access to your data and backups, you are out of luck. Basically you can't stop your employees from deleting emails. 

Depends on business case, however I don't miss the 3am alerts in the morning when the DAG is having troubles...

O365 > G-Suite, anyday... 

Anyways we run Exchange hybrid, best of both worlds however most mailboxes are now in o365.

16 hours ago, Bryan R. said:

It takes up some RAM that's for sure, and you are right that that RAM could be better used. 

But more likely to be hacked using on-Prem? I don't care to start taking the thread in circles but I don't find that to be true. With on-Prem, strong password enforcement is one thing, but centralized account auth to one AD, + account lockout, + a notification direct to me is what I consider the cream of the crop as far as security.

I found out today that basic G-Suite accounts do not include Vault which is for email retention and ligitaion holds. If an account is compromised and emails are lost, without physical access to your data and backups, you are out of luck. Basically you can't stop your employees from deleting emails. 

Lmao.. why did you ask if you are just going to ignorantly defend one over the other..

I'm done man, good luck.

Just now, fusi0n said:

Lmao.. why did you ask if you are just going to ignorantly defend one over the other..

I'm done man, good luck.

You mentioned security as better in the cloud which contradicts some of the consensus so far. I'd like to know, does G-Suite or even O365 have the option alert you to account lockouts?

Email retention is a real concern of some people. I just had a client ask to make sure an employee they were going to let go wouldn't be able to permanently delete any emails on their way out. With Exchange, it's no problem, no extra cost.

I meant for the thread to be a collection of reasons for or against on-Prem email. Thanks for your input.

4 minutes ago, Bryan R. said:

You mentioned security as better in the cloud which contradicts some of the consensus so far. I'd like to know, does G-Suite or even O365 have the option alert you to account lockouts?

Email retention is a real concern of some people. I just had a client ask to make sure an employee they were going to let go wouldn't be able to permanently delete any emails on their way out. With Exchange, it's no problem, no extra cost.

I meant for the thread to be a collection of reasons for or against on-Prem email. Thanks for your input.

You can prevent an employee from permanently deleting their email with o365. I’m not aware of any cost difference either. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

You can prevent an employee from permanently deleting their email with o365. I’m not aware of any cost difference either. 

Nice, I would expect O365 to offer that since Exchange standard has the functionality, thanks for confirming that. As opposed to Google who makes you pay extra.

These are the little things that aren't talked about enough.

1 hour ago, Bryan R. said:

Nice, I would expect O365 to offer that since Exchange standard has the functionality, thanks for confirming that. As opposed to Google who makes you pay extra.

These are the little things that aren't talked about enough.

Agreed—though I’m no expert on this stuff. It’s more a role I’m starting to be forced into and figuring out as I go. Much like most of my job lol.