I need a portable way to move 40TB of data without using the cloud.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with portable large capacity storage devices. I need something that will store about 40TB and must not be cloud based. Almost all the data will be RAW files. At first I thought of a couple of external 10TB drives carried in a pelican case. But i'm hoping someone has a better solution. I have a budget of about $1,500 / €1,350 for it. 

Are you copying this to 2 different areas? There is a way you can download files over the net...

What type of connection are you looking to have?

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Are you copying this to 2 different areas? There is a way you can download files over the net...

He specifically states he doesnt want anything cloud based, i would assume he doesnt want this to be on the internet.

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with portable large capacity storage devices. I need something that will store about 40TB and must not be cloud based. Almost all the data will be RAW files. At first I thought of a couple of external 10TB drives carried in a pelican case. But i'm hoping someone has a better solution. I have a budget of about $1,500 / €1,350 for it. 

That's a massive pr0n collection you got there bro ;)

Have amazon ship you a snowball

https://aws.amazon.com/getting-started/projects/migrate-petabyte-scale-data/services-costs/

Think smallest is 50TB... Copy your data - move it where you want.. Delete the data off of it and send it back to Amazon, changed my mind thanks.. Or send it with 100MB or something on it.  Here is your snowball back.. Think its like 200$ for 10 days or something like that.

19 minutes ago, LaP said:

That's a massive pr0n collection you got there bro ;)

You call that a collection? this is a collection * points to 120TB storage array * 

oh wait no, we used that to move backup data off an old EMC data domain system to a new location... never mind :P

8 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Have amazon ship you a snowball

https://aws.amazon.com/getting-started/projects/migrate-petabyte-scale-data/services-costs/

Think smallest is 50TB... Copy your data - move it where you want.. Delete the data off of it and send it back to Amazon, changed my mind thanks.. Or send it with 100MB or something on it.  Here is your snowball back.. Think its like 200$ for 10 days or something like that.

Can you do that locally? I was under the impression to retrieve data you must have the data had to be uploaded to S3 by amazon, then you would retrieve the data from them.

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Can you do that locally? I was under the impression to retrieve data you must have the data had to be uploaded to S3 by amazon, then you would retrieve the data from them.

Yeah, I was always under the impression these boxes are basically write only then you got it when they got it moved to their storage.. but never used one myself

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

He specifically states he doesnt want anything cloud based, i would assume he doesnt want this to be on the internet.

RDing into his work computer/server from home isn't considered a cloud...

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

RDing into his work computer/server from home isn't considered a cloud...

There may be times I will not have any internet connection or it may be too slow. 

Just now, Xenon said:

There may be times I will not have any internet connection or it may be too slow. 

Oh, OK then... I can't think of anything except the externals, like you said, or a NAS..

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Oh, OK then... I can't think of anything except the externals, like you said, or a NAS..

I thought of a NAS, but I just don't see it lasting long with me carrying it around. 

42 minutes ago, neufuse said:

Yeah, I was always under the impression these boxes are basically write only

I doubt that would be true - but since I have never had hands on with one of them.. But if you could only write, what happens if you wrote the wrong data, etc.

I have to believe you can delete data off of them that you put on there.. But sure that might be something you check with them before you go that route.. But it would be cheapest option.. Shipping cost and the 200$ would be what you would have to pay.. Have to believe that would way less than even just buying 1 disk and a case ;)

Also to the no cloud thing - yeah wouldn't it be possible to just create a direct connection between the locations to copy the data over.. But maybe the places only have like 1mbps connections or something..

edit:

Oh is this more then 1 time thing?  So your looking for something you can move about multiple times?  Maybe you can actually buy a snowball ;)  But then again that prob going to be way more than your budget.. Which is really on the low end.. Large disks are not all that cheap as of yet..  10TB externals are what like 200.. Maybe you could find some on sale for a bet less..  Not sure how rugged of case you can get for a only a few hundred.. Some DAS are a few hundred.. But not really meant to be lugged around all over the place.. And for sure your typical nas is not.. And a rugged one prob would blow your whole budget just on the case.

Does have to be 1 unit?  Or can you just have 4 different 10TB disks?

11 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I doubt that would be true - but since I have never had hands on with one of them.. But if you could only write, what happens if you wrote the wrong data, etc.

I have to believe you can delete data off of them that you put on there.. But sure that might be something you check with them before you go that route.. But it would be cheapest option.. Shipping cost and the 200$ would be what you would have to pay.. Have to believe that would way less than even just buying 1 disk and a case ;)

Also to the no cloud thing - yeah wouldn't it be possible to just create a direct connection between the locations to copy the data over.. But maybe the places only have like 1mbps connections or something..

edit:

Oh is this more then 1 time thing?  So your looking for something you can move about multiple times?  Maybe you can actually buy a snowball ;)  But then again that prob going to be way more than your budget.. Which is really on the low end.. Large disks are not all that cheap as of yet..  10TB externals are what like 200.. Maybe you could find some on sale for a bet less..  Not sure how rugged of case you can get for a only a few hundred.. Some DAS are a few hundred.. But not really meant to be lugged around all over the place.. And for sure your typical nas is not.. And a rugged one prob would blow your whole budget just on the case.

Its more than a one time thing. The less units the better. 

37 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I thought of a NAS, but I just don't see it lasting long with me carrying it around. 

Hmm have you looked at any of Synology's offerings? https://www.neowin.net/news/tags/synology/ we've reviewed quite a lot of them and they are rugged, within your budget, does what you are looking for.

Example https://www.neowin.net/news/review-of-the-synology-ds1019-a-storage-workhorse-and-a-plex-beast

1 hour ago, neufuse said:

Yeah, I was always under the impression these boxes are basically write only then you got it when they got it moved to their storage.. but never used one myself

37 minutes ago, BudMan said:

edit:

We just received one at work, I'll ask the guys.

22 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Hmm have you looked at any of Synology's offerings? https://www.neowin.net/news/tags/synology/ we've reviewed quite a lot of them and they are rugged, within your budget, does what you are looking for.

Example https://www.neowin.net/news/review-of-the-synology-ds1019-a-storage-workhorse-and-a-plex-beast

That actually looks good. The price would work. But will it stand up to carry on for planes and trains multiple times. Its the reliability factor that is worrying me. 

5 minutes ago, Xenon said:

That actually looks good. The price would work. But will it stand up to carry on for planes and trains multiple times. Its the reliability factor that is worrying me. 

You would need a GOOD and rugged case. Probably custom made or one that has some modifications. For that price range and the probability you need, I think it may be your only option. Since they will be platters.. you'll need to be extra careful and make sure you have a backup of it somewhere.. You can get the 10TB hard drives in external form and shuck the drives out of them to save some money as well. 

1 minute ago, Sylar0 said:

Wait so what is this 40tb of data which can't go on the net exactly?

To be as vague as possible. Photos of items we sell/sold (dating back to the early 1930's) and the clients past purchases. The clients info will only be on the device until it is not needed and then securely deleted. Of course the whole thing will be encrypted. 

14 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

You would need a GOOD and rugged case. Probably custom made or one that has some modifications. For that price range and the probability you need, I think it may be your only option. Since they will be platters.. you'll need to be extra careful and make sure you have a backup of it somewhere.. You can get the 10TB hard drives in external form and shuck the drives out of them to save some money as well. 

Yea. I'm actually starting to lean toward 5 8TB drives. For organization it would be easier than 4 10TBs. Then spend a lot on a travel case.

And here's a question that should get a few responses. Seagate or WD hard drives. I used to always use hitachi's back in the day. 

10 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Yea. I'm actually starting to lean toward 5 8TB drives. For organization it would be easier than 4 10TBs. Then spend a lot on a travel case.

And here's a question that should get a few responses. Seagate or WD hard drives. I used to always use hitachi's back in the day. 

Western Digital for sure. But, honestly.. platter drives can all be a toss. If you can get the Enterprise Server grade drives, those would be built better, but those are very expensive. 

I think you can get the WD Ultrastar's for about the same price as similar consumer drives (like the Reds and cheaper than the Red Pros).  You'd have to search around a bit but I've seen the 8TB for ~$230