Is my PC’s motherboard fried?

I have an HP Omen desktop PC with an Nvidia GTX 960 video card. A few days ago I got a Brother laser jet printer and plugged it into the wall, and a battery backup I have my TV and receiver plugged into beeped. I plugged the printer directly into a wall outlet so I don’t know why the UPS beeped, the PC is on a completely different UPS. The next morning I went to turn on the PC and nothing came on the display, it said no signal from hdmi. The video card has another hdmi port and 2 display ports, I tried all of them and no luck. So I took the video card out and tried another PCIe slot and got the same results, nothing. 

So I got an AMD RX570 card, installed it in both PCIe slots and still nothing. then I went out and got an Nvidia video card and, nothing. There is no video card on the motherboard as it has an Intel K processor. So is the motherboard for all intents and purposes fried? The PC powers on fine and the fans are spinning and the lights are on. I mentioned the laser jet printer only because I’m wondering if when I plugged it into the wall if something could have  happened as the PC was working fine until then.

if there is anything else I can try short of getting a new motherboard I’m all ears. Thanks.

A few things you could try:

- take out the CMOS battery to reset the motherboard settings

- remove the RAM sticks only leaving one in place

- ensure the motherboard is properly wired, same as the hard drives 

From my experience, a fried motherboard will emit a smell if it is truly busted. Look for any blown capacitors as this is a sure tell sign that a motherboard has kicked the dust. It does sound unlikely that a power surge occurred as the PC was connected to a UPS but stranger things have bappened. In any casez good luck and hopefully you won't need to replace the motherboard.

• Like 2

also try removing any external or internal HDD's. I had a system that would not boot due to a bad HDD.

So basically start with only 1 DIMM, CPU and iGPU or discrete PCIe and go from there 

15 hours ago, Billus said:

From my experience, a fried motherboard will emit a smell if it is truly busted. Look for any blown capacitors as this is a sure tell sign that a motherboard has kicked the dust. It does sound unlikely that a power surge occurred as the PC was connected to a UPS but stranger things have bappened. In any casez good luck and hopefully you won't need to replace the motherboard.

15 hours ago, Billus said:

THANK YOU! I did what you recommended ant it worked! I reset the cmos battery and switched the RAM modules and it connected to the display with the GTX 960 video card I thought was dead. Really appreciate your help!