Is it possible to emulate WPS?

My current setup (edgerouter poe + uap-ac-pro) does not offer WPS, thank god. However, this IP camera from Cox Homelife will only accept wireless setup via WPS. Supposedly you can use a hardwire connection but I have yet to get it to work and if I cannot find a way around WPS I will investigate the hardwire further.

My question is, is there a way to emulate WPS via an application or third party piece of software? The other idea I have, and I am not sure if WPS works in this way, is to grab a cheap router that has the WPS button.

Name the network with the same SSID as my normal uap-ac-pro, along with password

Disconnect my uap and edge router

Fire up this cheap router

Use WPS to connect the camera

Disconnect the cheap router

Reconnect my edgerouter and uap and hope the camera picks up the wifi

Does WPS work in this way or does it generate a random SSID and password, allowing a device to connect via that method? I guess I could also bridge this cheap router and leave it connected to the network, however I don't really want to do that.

9 hours ago, Circaflex said:

IP camera from Cox Homelife will only accept wireless setup via WPS

Use a different camera.. Which camera exactly do you have - the setup instructions I find for the thing are showing ethernet only.

setup.png

While I would like to use a different camera, this was part of the package and did not cost me anything.

The camera is the iCamera2, it works wireless and does allow ethernet via a dongle that splits the cable. If wireless joining fails twice, it will "allow" a hardwire connection. The issue is, I cannot get the app to recognize the camera is plugged in via ethernet through this method, even though the camera shows it is connected to my router via the gui.

What I did do, was find instructions to access the locked down camera dashboard and can now use this as a normal IP camera with additional software by accessing the camera via IP. It would nice to use the built in cox application, as most software I have found required a purchased license for remote viewing and my roommate can use the application as well. I will tinker with this some more and see if my father has any application licenses (security systems are his field), but it just seemed like a PITA to set this all up.

If I understand the instructions I found correctly.. You need to pair it with your software first using the wire.. In the software you should be able to configure the wireless network you want it to connect to.. Then when you power it up it would connect to the wireless network.

This is how most devices I have seen work.. for example my harmony hub - you can set it up connected to your computer - in that software you can set your wireless info. ssid and psk..

Most devices are like this - even stuff that only allow for wireless setup.. For example smart switches.. They will boot running their own adhoc wireless network, you connect to them with their app on the adhoc, set the actual wireless details you want, and then they reboot and connect to the wireless network.

icamera2.thumb.png.21f2d6614618a1dbcd87991d58a8165b.png

I made a mistake with the model, its the iCamera not v2. Unfortunately this particular model from cox first tries to pair via WPS, twice, then if those two chances fail it will go into hardwire mode. I think im going to give up on the cox app and just use it as a standard ip camera with third party software. 

Use a wireless bridge :) Connect the bridge to the ethernet port

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I made a mistake with the model, its the iCamera not v2. Unfortunately this particular model from cox first tries to pair via WPS, twice, then if those two chances fail it will go into hardwire mode. I think im going to give up on the cox app and just use it as a standard ip camera with third party software. 

• Like 1