Help installing RPMs

I downloaded BZflag, among some other RPMs, so I could have a few more games when I am bored. Installation goes well, I double click on the RPM and it installs. However, when I try to run the program, it doesn't load. It just sort of appears on the tray and then goes away. Am I doing something wrong?

it be your system is missing a file try installing them in the terminal rpm -ih and then the address to the rpm so rpm -ih hhfhfhf.rpm tell us if you get any errors.

It installs correctly and everything, but when I try to run it it just sits on the tray with the timer icon over it and disappears with no errors. The program doesn't load. Can things be easy for me once? :pinch:

A icon for it appears on the Kmenu. I click on it.

I'm not sure what this program is, but can it be initiated from the command line? (so you can see what errors it may be spitting out)

The program is bzflag. It is located in /user/games/ . If I go into /user/games and run the bzflag executable (which is what the shortcut links to), I get the error "Couldn't find the program 'bzflag'".

If you type ls in the dir, do you see the executeable? It is set with x for user permissions? Is that directory in your $PATH? (if not, try ./bzflag to force it to run from the current dir.

Just off the top of my head. Let me know the answers to those questions, if you still can't get it to work...

Opened up Konsole and did this:

[root@NeoWin root]# cd /usr/games

[root@NeoWin games]# ls

bzflag* bzfrelay* frozen-bubble* lbreakout2*

bzfls* bzfs* frozen-bubble-editor* lbreakout2server*

[root@NeoWin games]# ./bzflag

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

Can't create window. Exiting.

[root@NeoWin games]#

Does this give any info?

Does this game have 3d acceleration?

If so, you might not have a 3d card (or you have a 3d card, but not using a driver with 3d).

Try running glxinfo at the prompt and see what it says.

[root@NeoWin root]# glxinfo

name of display: :0.0

Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav

id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat

----------------------------------------------------------------------

0x22 24 tc 1 0 0 c . . 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None

[root@NeoWin root]#

That is what it shows. Is that bad?

[clippety-clip-clip-clip]

That is what it shows. Is that bad?

I think it is bad.

It is what I have on my nVidia card that I haven't installed the nVidia drivers that support 3D acceleration.

In other words, your card either isn't 3D enabled, or the driver you are using isn't 3D. :no:

Time to look for a driver....

The card has 4MB of memory, so I don't expect much from it. It is a S3 Trio 3D. I guess those games support hardware acceleration huh?

It would be nice if an error came up about this when I try to run the program. :rolleyes:

The card has 4MB of memory, so I don't expect much from it. It is a S3 Trio 3D. I guess those games support hardware acceleration huh?

It would be nice if an error came up about this when I try to run the program. :rolleyes:

Well, an error does, in it's own "Linuxy" way. :shifty:

I agree that a nice prompt box at GUI start would be able to say "Uh-oh!" to make it easy. You could submit that request to the program's designers at sourceforge (or wherever they reside).

It's how OpenSource is improved! :yes: