data recovery after failed startup repair?

had a encrypted windows 7 professional partition

restored windows 10 system image from external hdd

encrypted windows 7 partition could not be decrypted from in 10 after restore (i think i was typing wrong password?)

i then booted from windows 7 dvd, ran startup repair (as when trying to boot windows 7 after failing to decrypt from in 10, it told me winload was missing or corrupt)

after startup repair ran, which stated it could not fix problem, encrypted windows 7 partition became RAW partition.....

is there any hope of recovering my data?

On 8/2/2019 at 7:50 AM, waysidesc said:

is there any hope of recovering my data?

How did you encrypt the drive in the first place? Did you use BitLocker or something else?

Do you have a certificate by any chance?

Do you have a spare HDD? Would you be able to make it bootable? You should've left the encrypted partition intact and booted from another drive.

If you can boot from another drive, you can try using a data recovery software such as this one: https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/index-b.html

...or, take your drive to a professional shop if the data is that important to you. These guys can do wonders. 

Good luck!

Yet another example of how users and encryption = loss of data sooner or later ;)

Do you have your recovery key?  If not then no your out of luck..

15 hours ago, Peresvet said:

How did you encrypt the drive in the first place? Did you use BitLocker or something else?

Do you have a certificate by any chance?

Do you have a spare HDD? Would you be able to make it bootable? You should've left the encrypted partition intact and booted from another drive.

If you can boot from another drive, you can try using a data recovery software such as this one: https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/index-b.html

...or, take your drive to a professional shop if the data is that important to you. These guys can do wonders. 

Good luck!

thank you for reply

drive was encrypted with bitlocker

i did leave the encrypted partition intact and boot from another partition. it was in windows 10 where i could not access the contents of the windows 7 partition, and, when i could not access (typing wrong password i think), that is when i tried to boot into windows 7 (when it stated winload was corrupt or missing), and that was when i ran startup repair from windows 7 dvd and then drive became RAW.....

i tried the free version of easeus, thank you, but it could not recover the RAW drive...

14 hours ago, eddman said:

i will try this when i get to! thank you!

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

Yet another example of how users and encryption = loss of data sooner or later ;)

Do you have your recovery key?  If not then no your out of luck..

there is no eason to be condescending. please do not be responding if you will be that way.

to answer you, no recovery key (that i remember) but password yes (still i think)

7 minutes ago, waysidesc said:

no recovery key (that i remember) but password yes (still i think)

Then your out of luck.. When you enabled bitlocker it would asked you to save a recovery file.. If you do not have this - your files are gone..

Not meaning to sound condescending... But users do this ALL THE TIME!!  What I can say in all my years of working with encryption and users.. Is when they enable it, without knowing exactly how it works.. And taking the precautions required.. At some point they will loose access to the files.  Be it a reinstall of the OS or thinking they can just put their old drive into some other system.

If I had to guess - from just my own experience... Users loose access to their own files because of improper use of encryption more than getting hit with ransomware ;)

Restore you critical files from your "backup" and move on would be my suggestion.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:04 AM, eddman said:

THANK YOU!!! I LOVE YOU!!! BDE REPAIR TOOL WORKED!!!

it told me to run chkdsk before accessing after decrypting the RAW volume and I did (there were no issues) and all my files are safely in the target partition.

happy, happy day!!! i will promptly backup my precious data.

i must write that i could not type my password in the command prompt when it asked for that... BUT i wrote it in run dialog (win + R) and then right-clicked inside the window, selected paste and pressed enter (even though the password did not appear)... and the decryption process started! i just write this to help others. in short, if you know your password just copy and paste and press enter... BUT double check your copied material before pasting it, of course.

21 hours ago, BudMan said:

Then your out of luck.. When you enabled bitlocker it would asked you to save a recovery file.. If you do not have this - your files are gone..

Not meaning to sound condescending... But users do this ALL THE TIME!!  What I can say in all my years of working with encryption and users.. Is when they enable it, without knowing exactly how it works.. And taking the precautions required.. At some point they will loose access to the files.  Be it a reinstall of the OS or thinking they can just put their old drive into some other system.

If I had to guess - from just my own experience... Users loose access to their own files because of improper use of encryption more than getting hit with ransomware ;)

Restore you critical files from your "backup" and move on would be my suggestion.

you were wrong, sir! the password was sufficient!

please do not blame me... it is not that i did not understand how bitlocker does not work, but i panicked when it was not accepting my password and... well nevermind. there are no worries thanks to eddman!

thank you for your help. i am sorry to have thought that you were condescending with the wink emoji. may you never be that way as even with all the knowledge in the world, the attitude should be one of humility.

You NEED to understand how it works!!  And you need to backup your recovery KEY which will be created.

So your PC does not have TPM?  You never said one way or the other..  If does the keys are stored there..

And you need to have a BACKUP of the files... Any drive on any my computers could just blow up - while it would kind of suck if that happened.  Nothing of value would be lost..

These files are so important that you have to encrypt them - but you have not backup?

Users and encryption is like a ticking time bomb..