• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Chromecast Ultra alternative for casting 4K HDR content?

+Elliot B.    1,534

I currently have a Chromecast, which supports 1080p only.

I recently bought a Hisense H65A6250UK TV (2019 model) and despite what you read on the Internet or in the manual, it is not fully DLNA-compliant and does not connect from mine (Huawei P30 Pro) or my partner's (Google Pixel 2 XL) phones. I do not wish to pursue this avenue any further; I have spend a lot of time online (mainly in forums) trying to diagnose it and it's not possible to solve.

I am wanting to upgrade to a 4K streamer that supports Dolby Vision (as that's what Netflix uses).

I will only use the device to cast Plex, YouTube, Plex etc. from my Android phone.

The Chromecast Ultra, at £70, is quite expensive.

I believe another option is Amazon's Fire TV Stick 4K (£50).

There are the Now TV Smart Box 4K and Roku Streaming Stick+ but neither support Dolby Vision, which means no HDR support for Netflix.

Any thoughts?

Brandon H    2,914

Fire TV Stick 4K is what I have now and it works great for streaming and casting. Plus Amazon has a zero interest financing option for the Fire TV Stick if needed. I payed $10/month for 5 months when I bought mine last year.

image.thumb.png.b7e27ca8b77ca50c88b4906c46c518ef.png

I personally use Web Video Cast for my casting needs. It works with FireTV, Roku, AppleTV, standard DLNA, and a few other protocols :)

edit: now that Fire TV OS has a native YouTube app again I see no reason to go with other devices myself :) the Fire TV Stick 4K works great for its price point. I even have mine hooked to an audio splitter so I can have optical audio out and also have the ethernet adapter. it's a near perfect setup IMO

audio splitter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQHJQK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ethernet adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TC662N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1