New Computer Table/Desk

I have an old, maybe ~10yo, computer desk from IKEA. I can't find the exact model, as it was discontinued as soon as I bought it.

It looks very similar to this:

$_86.JPG

But without the right leg, just to give you an idea.

The left siding has been bolted, to hold something up on it. The top has been replaced after a duo monitor stand cracked the top. It is wobbly af. Even with the reinforcement that we put on back.

I have been searching everywhere, and nowhere has many reviews on it. (not considering amazon..) I don't really care for RGB gaming desks. If it has RGB, I probably will never use it. "Gaming" desks look reasonable, but are they that reliable? Table needs to be ~47" long by 28 wide. Hight is no issue. Budget is $100-200.

What should I get? What do you use? What do you crave?

11 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

nothing stand out to you at your local furniture stores?

most of them have corner desks or L-desks. And the single ones are little gimpy thing that holds one monitor. I have 3x 27" monitors...

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

most of them have corner desks or L-desks. And the single ones are little gimpy thing that holds one monitor. I have 3x 27" monitors...

ah I can see that.

furniture searching is not my strong suit but good luck finding a desk that suits your needs :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

ah I can see that.

furniture searching is not my strong suit but good luck finding a desk that suits your needs :)

Yeah... why I asked, as there is no really "good design". I read alot of DYI desks, but I don't have the brain power to do that.

5 minutes ago, Jazmac said:

You don't need it to have drawers in it?

I don't really have any use, as I have a cabinet right next to my desk...

6 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have an old, maybe ~10yo, computer desk from IKEA. I can't find the exact model, as it was discontinued as soon as I bought it.

It looks very similar to this:

$_86.JPG

But without the right leg, just to give you an idea.

The left siding has been bolted, to hold something up on it. The top has been replaced after a duo monitor stand cracked the top. It is wobbly af. Even with the reinforcement that we put on back.

I have been searching everywhere, and nowhere has many reviews on it. (not considering amazon..) I don't really care for RGB gaming desks. If it has RGB, I probably will never use it. "Gaming" desks look reasonable, but are they that reliable? Table needs to be ~47" long by 28 wide. Hight is no issue. Budget is $100-200.

What should I get? What do you use? What do you crave?

Not entirely in that price range but I’m a huge fan of desks from https://autonomous.ai. 

It’s all we use at work and I have a large one at home. 

As strange as this might sound, take a look at uline.com packing tables, https://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables. They have one with your dimensions. The desks arent the prettiest, however the quality and ruggedness is excellent.

My brother has had one, with the composite top for nearly 5 years without any issues. Last year I purchased a maple top one for my room and it has been fantastic. A tad more than your budget, but worth a look in the long run.

19 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

As strange as this might sound, take a look at uline.com packing tables, https://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables. They have one with your dimensions. The desks arent the prettiest, however the quality and ruggedness is excellent.

My brother has had one, with the composite top for nearly 5 years without any issues. Last year I purchased a maple top one for my room and it has been fantastic. A tad more than your budget, but worth a look in the long run.

hm, I might look at these if I can't find anything better. Like you said, It's slightly out of my buget...

Yeah, Aryeh, but I'm not paying that price.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.baea8645b236da6cabe26951f28802b0.jpg

I think I'm sticking with this one. It's $80 on eBay. It just looks sturdier, and not a "gaming" desk. Same size as my current desk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/55-Modern-Computer-Desk-Laptop-Desktop-Study-Writing-Dining-Table-Home-Office-US/392373036898?hash=item5b5b416762:m:mdGWmRJPQIaHomBL1eTBOWw

You get what you pay for, I'm not sure I would consider a ~$50 desk sturdy, but do you thing. Its made out of MDF and weighs less than 40 pounds, I'd be hesitant to store much of anything of importance on it. I'd also be concerned that they do not list what weight has been tested on the desk.

• Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

You get what you pay for, I'm not sure I would consider a ~$50 desk sturdy, but do you thing. Its made out of MDF and weighs less than 40 pounds, I'd be hesitant to store much of anything of importance on it. I'd also be concerned that they do not list what weight has been tested on the desk.

Really? I thought MDF was just the top. The legs look like some kind of metal or something. But if the "whole thing" is MDF, well...

My old desk was like that, too. It's legs and top are pressed wood, but are hollow in the center.

26 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Really? I thought MDF was just the top. The legs look like some kind of metal or something. But if the "whole thing" is MDF, well...

My old desk was like that, too. It's legs and top are pressed wood, but are hollow in the center.

That desk looks ideal, plenty strong enough as those legs are metal along with a metal frame under the top MDF.

1 minute ago, SnoopZ said:

That desk looks ideal, plenty strong enough as those legs are metal along with a metal frame under the top MDF.

Yeah, thanks. That is what I thought...

9 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

Just make sure the heights right including the metal frame under the MDF.

My current desk is actually lower than that.... hmm...

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Guys, I bought it :D

68977298_2535779466708587_7935559323311144960_n.thumb.jpg.6769a92c3393ba6caad996be27f02e76.jpg

Real sturdy compared to my old one...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ikea still make desks as long as 300cm, however you have to use the custom option, they aren't stock models.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/tools/planner_build_your_own_desk/ I built a 3m desk with cabinets on either end :) been using it for a long time