• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Could this be malware?

Recommended Posts

Brandon H    2,907
2 hours ago, devnulllore said:

So if in the future I have to look for newer drivers where would I find new ones for this?

 

Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller 1E02

 

Maybe I am installing a bad one.

best place to get it would be directly from intel on their Drivers and Support page

 

I'd recommend using their detection tool http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,513
2 hours ago, devnulllore said:

So if in the future I have to look for newer drivers

Thought you said everything was working.. So why would you need to look for anything other than a security related problem for a driver.  Are you not getting the performance out of your device you think you should be getting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ    255
22 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Thought you said everything was working.. So why would you need to look for anything other than a security related problem for a driver.  Are you not getting the performance out of your device you think you should be getting?

Hes just done another fresh install without installing anything but updates to see if he gets the issue again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31

So far it has happened once. I was in a window and renaming a file suddenly the system stuttered and the window refreshed itself automatically. I will let you know if it keeps happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnoopZ    255

Did you say you changed your GPU recently, could this be the issue and maybe you have your old card you can pop in to test for a while?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31

It was happening before it. My old GPUs died and I thought that was the issue so I replaced it. I have tried several types of drivers and nothing helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riva    1,150
On 8/6/2019 at 2:34 PM, devnulllore said:

Hello, I have a second SSD that I have my games installed on and that's it. After some monitoring I noticed sometimes Windows accesses the drive for no reason that I can see. After some inspection I found that there is a hidden folder on the drive called "boot". Can this be malware? I have indexing turned off so there is no reason for the drive to be accessed without playing games is there? Malware scans turn up nothing but I do not know if the can scan hidden files and folders. Any ideas? 

I suspect the "second" ssd is recognised as a disk with lower number and windows always throws the bootloader on the first disk which could of happened when you repaired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31

This is getting confusing as I am trying to explain what is happening and and can't seem to get across what is happening or where I stand so...

 

I just did a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 X64. I have not done ANY updates except Windows automatic ones. As I said before this is what is happening...

 

"So far it has happened once. I was in a window and renaming a file suddenly the system stuttered and the window refreshed itself automatically."

 

I will try to convey the problem the best I can but it just does not seem right.

2 minutes ago, Riva said:

I suspect the "second" ssd is recognised as a disk with lower number and windows always throws the bootloader on the first disk which could of happened when you repaired

I only had the boot drive connected when I reinstalled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
16 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

Not 100% sure as i think i either use the disc that comes with the Motherboard or windows update just sortings them out for me.

 

How often did you see the issue before, what is the time frame?

 

Keep a note of what you install and when so you can tell if the issue started after that. 

The only thing I can remember installing that SEEMED to be causing it was Acronis backup and I know this is infamous for monitoring all changes made once you install it. But it is not installed now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+BudMan    3,513

Sure its not the built in antivirus?  Or just the system scanning large amount of files for meta data..  Does your mouse freeze up as well - or is just a stutter on the display of the folders/files?

 

What are you looking at in explorer when this happens - its it thousands of media sort of files, movies, music?  Any way you can get a video of what its doing?

 

I set these folders as general type - so it doesn't pause on showing large folders of files.

 

Are you getting a hang when you right click to say create a new folder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Sure its not the built in antivirus?  Or just the system scanning large amount of files for meta data..  Does your mouse freeze up as well - or is just a stutter on the display of the folders/files?

 

What are you looking at in explorer when this happens - its it thousands of media sort of files, movies, music?  Any way you can get a video of what its doing?

 

I set these folders as general type - so it doesn't pause on showing large folders of files.

 

Are you getting a hang when you right click to say create a new folder?

I don't know about the built in Anti-Virus but I have not installed mine yet so I can't rule it out. It usually happens when I am in an explorer windows with lots of folders and I am doing something like renaming files or creating folders.. No one particular type of files mixed music, images etc.. I will check to see if the folders are set to general also. Mouse does stutter with the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31

So Windows just did a huge upgrade to v1907 and it's all starting over again. Stuttering and even explorer has crashed a few times.  I read Microsoft said there was an issue with the new patch and there may be a fix as soon as Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,837
10 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

So Windows just did a huge upgrade to v1907 and it's all starting over again. Stuttering and even explorer has crashed a few times.  I read Microsoft said there was an issue with the new patch and there may be a fix as soon as Tuesday.

1903?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
42 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

1903?

Now I am not sure. it said it when it was installing now I don't know how to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,837
6 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

Now I am not sure. it said it when it was installing now I don't know how to find out.

winver. I’m sure it’s 1903. If it’s 1907–that’s a cause for concern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
19 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

winver. I’m sure it’s 1903. If it’s 1907–that’s a cause for concern. 

Yes 1903 and since the install it's the worst it's ever been. Windows explorer even crashes now and then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,837
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

Yes 1903 and since the install it's the worst it's ever been. Windows explorer even crashes now and then

Kind of surprised you didn’t start your clean install with 1903. 


 

This reminds me of my friend’s PC that installed Windows wonderfully and worked great. The very moment you tried to install something, be it driver or application, it hard locked. It did work on GNU/Linux however.
 

Turns out the motherboard was bad. ASUS replaced it with the same model and BIOS version, and he never saw the problem again. 

 

Sometimes the most odd issues that appear to be software related, are not. I doubt its your motherboard, but very much suspect your drive. You need to try another drive IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31

I dunno what to think these drives are new Crucial MX500's Just replaced some older ones 2-3 months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,025

Have you by chance tested your ram with memtest yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yazoo    276

I remember something like this in the early days of Win10, it was related to a network service.  Try disabling all network services including WiFi and see if the stuttering goes away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,837
Just now, Yazoo said:

I remember something like this in the early days of Win10, it was related to a network service.  Try disabling all network services including WiFi and see if the stuttering goes away

It happens in Safe Mode...so unless he used Safe Mode with networking support, that’s not it. 

7 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

I dunno what to think these drives are new Crucial MX500's Just replaced some older ones 2-3 months ago.

Plural? Have you put the OS on both and had the same issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31
9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It happens in Safe Mode...so unless he used Safe Mode with networking support, that’s not it. 

Plural? Have you put the OS on both and had the same issue?

No I did not use network support in safe mode.

 

Yes I tried both drives using the same image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,837
7 minutes ago, devnulllore said:

No I did not use network support in safe mode.

 

Yes I tried both drives using the same image.

Using the same image—so not a clean installation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devnulllore    31

Not from before. I have not tried a clean install on the second drive yet should I try this? That would mean installing my backup software which I suspected as being the problem at one time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yazoo    276

Are your SSD's Crucial RealSSD C300 drives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.