• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Raytracing card worth it yet?

Recommended Posts

patseguin    1,315

I'm on a 1080 GTX still and it handled everything I play, like Destiny 2 and others in 4K. I'm wondering if an upgrade to an RTX card is worth it yet, especially from a 1080. Besides gaming, I'd like to get back into my 3d modeling hobby so I'm wondering if renderers for Sketchup and Blender leverage real-time rayctracing from these cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Elliot B.    1,556
1 minute ago, patseguin said:

I'm on a 1080 GTX still and it handled everything I play, like Destiny 2 and others in 4K. I'm wondering if an upgrade to an RTX card is worth it yet, especially from a 1080. Besides gaming, I'd like to get back into my 3d modeling hobby so I'm wondering if renderers for Sketchup and Blender leverage real-time rayctracing from these cards.

Performance-wise, a RTX 2080 Super would be a worthy upgrade from a GTX 1080 but it doesn't exist (only 2060 and 2070 Supers).

If you're running at 1440p with a high-refresh rate monitor (120+ Hz), or 4K and don't want to drop far below 60fps, the RTX 2080 is a good shout.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
patseguin    1,315
15 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Performance-wise, a RTX 2080 Super would be a worthy upgrade from a GTX 1080 but it doesn't exist (only 2060 and 2070 Supers).

If you're running at 1440p with a high-refresh rate monitor (120+ Hz), or 4K and don't want to drop far below 60fps, the RTX 2080 is a good shout.

Do you know anything about renderers for modeling programs? I was using Sketchup a lot with indigo renderer and vray. It was fun, but I'd have to render for many many hours. I was curious if RTX cards substantially cut that down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZakO    493
Posted (edited)

Honestly, if your GTX 1080 plays everything you want at the moment I'd leave it. I have a RTX 2080 and while raytracing looks quite nice, you need to choose between having high resolution or raytracing, not both. I'm used to playing at 1080p so enabling raytracing in the games that support it still give me 60fps+, but if you're used to playing at 4k you would have to downscale the res back to 1080p (or 1440p at a push) to get > 60fps in the games that support raytracing. 

 

Blender does get a bit of a boost utilizing the RTX cores (~50% faster rendering the CUDA alone) but it's still not anywhere close to real-time. Whether this boost is enough to warrant the upgrade for you depends on how much modelling you'll be doing I guess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
patseguin    1,315
4 minutes ago, ZakO said:

Honestly, if your GTX 1080 plays everything you want at the moment I'd leave it. I have a RTX 2080 and while raytracing looks quite nice, you need to choose between having high resolution or raytracing, not both. I'm used to playing at 1080p so enabling raytracing in the games that support it still give me 60fps+, but if you're used to playing at 4k you would have to downscale the res back to 1080p (or 1440p at a push) to get > 60fps in the games that support raytracing. 

 

Blender does get a bit of a boost utilizing the RTX cores (~50% faster rendering the CUDA alone) but it's still not anywhere close to real-time. Whether this boost is enough to warrant the upgrade for you depends on how much modelling you'll be doing I guess.

Thanks, I didn't know that about having to choose resolution vs rayctracing. I assumed it was rayctracing in 4K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZakO    493
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Thanks, I didn't know that about having to choose resolution vs rayctracing. I assumed it was rayctracing in 4K.

I mean... you can enable raytracing at 4k, but as an example: in Shadow of the Tomb Raider with raytracing enabled at 4k with an RTX 2080 I get 26fps avg. At 1440p I avg 54fps which is "nearly" playable, but I need to dial it back to 1080p to get constant > 60fps (80fps avg) with raytracing enabled at max settings. 

Edited by ZakO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
patseguin    1,315
12 hours ago, ZakO said:

I mean... you can enable raytracing at 4k, but as an example: in Shadow of the Tomb Raider with raytracing enabled at 4k with an RTX 2080 I get 26fps avg. At 1440p I avg 54fps which is "nearly" playable, but I need to dial it back to 1080p to get constant > 60fps (80fps avg) with raytracing enabled at max settings. 

Is the trade-off worth it to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yazoo    276

Simple answer is not at this time, your GTX 1080 is still relevant, should get decent FPS @ 1440p (Ultra) 4K (high) settings no problem in most AAA games. Is it a Ti?   Raytracing is a nice to have and is still early days in development, its not worth the FPS hit by enabling it in the few games that supports it.  Ask this question again 12 months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason S.    1,499

if you already have the 1080, i dont see an RTX card as a worthy upgrade at this time. RT is really neat, and i have a 2080, but i was also upgrading a 6yr old card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.