• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Canadian Travel SIM

dipsylalapo    1,775

Hi all, 

I'm travelling to Canada next week and currently don't have a way to use my phone when I'm there. I'm from the UK and want a cheap way to stay online so I can search for places to eat, directions etc. 

I normally use my Three SIM abroad, but they don't cover Canada. Most other UK mobile operators don't either, even with Travel packs. I had a quick look online and there doesn't seem to be a cheap way to stay connected. 

Most travel SIMs come with very little data (<1GB) for 40/50 CAD, which seems pricey. Anyone travelled there before and know the best thing to do?

+Human.Online    8,443
36 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Hi all, 

I'm travelling to Canada next week and currently don't have a way to use my phone when I'm there. I'm from the UK and want a cheap way to stay online so I can search for places to eat, directions etc. 

I normally use my Three SIM abroad, but they don't cover Canada. Most other UK mobile operators don't either, even with Travel packs. I had a quick look online and there doesn't seem to be a cheap way to stay connected. 

Most travel SIMs come with very little data (<1GB) for 40/50 CAD, which seems pricey. Anyone travelled there before and know the best thing to do?

Mate, I see that you're in the UK like me.  What I do is this:

Go to a 3 store

Get a monthly sim that has unlimited data

It allows you to take your data to many different countries as if you were at home

Have holiday

Call and cancel the monthly plan

Not sure if Canada is on their list, I know the USA is...

Nick H.    9,841
1 minute ago, Human.Online said:

Go to a 3 store

It allows you to take your data to many different countries as if you were at home

Have holiday

I could be wrong, but doesn't he mention in the second paragraph that he is already with 3, but that they don't offer any packages that cover Canada? Or are 3 and Three different providers?

dipsylalapo    1,775
1 minute ago, Human.Online said:

Go to a 3 store

Have holiday

It's what I used to do with PAYG. Travelling outside of Europe I could pay 3p/MB which was great. 

I'm now on contract with Three, but Canada isn't part of their Go Roam destination and they charge £6/MB :( 

dipsylalapo    1,775
1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

I could be wrong, but doesn't he mention in the second paragraph that he is already with 3, but that they don't offer any packages that cover Canada? Or are 3 and Three different providers?

They're the same and don't cover Canada.

I had a look with Bell and Telus in Canada and even for something as little as 2GB on a 30 day plan is 45CAD, which again is nuts. I have a feeling, that it may just be that expensive there and I'll be reliant on downloading stuff before hand and using public WiFi spots.

+Human.Online    8,443
1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

Sorry didn’t read it, just got the gist.

+InsaneNutter    1,347

My old boss (also on Three) went to Vancouver last year and didn't think it was worth the cost to have data for the few days he was there.

He ended up just downloading an offline area on Google Maps which worked pretty well for him:

Screenshot_20190819-105802_Maps.thumb.png.b61a822c49a881fd98629d6537e30848.png

I suspect if your going to be in a large city free WiFi will be everywhere, so it might be more cost effective to setup a VPN at home, or on a VPS before you leave and connecting to that on public WiFi.

BobSlob    114

Where are you going in Canada specifically? It's a HUGE country and many of the major/tourist cities have smaller carriers that offer unlimited plans. Look into Freedom/Virgin/Public/Fido/Koodo as well, although Fido and Koodo are owned by the "Big 3".

Outside that you're basically stuck to Rogers/Bell/Telus and get to feel the ass-pain we Canucks face everyday :)

dipsylalapo    1,775
3 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

My old boss (also on Three) went to Vancouver last year and didn't think it was worth the cost to have data for the few days he was there.

He ended up just downloading an offline area on Google Maps which worked pretty well for him:

I suspect if your going to be in a large city free WiFi will be everywhere, so it might be more cost effective to setup a VPN at home, or on a VPS before you leave and connecting to that on public WiFi.

Yeah having spent the last week looking at a number of different options I think that's what I may end up doing. 

I've already downloaded local maps on Here maps. The area that you're able to download on Google is fairly limited and don't want the hassle of trying to download new areas once out there. 

2 minutes ago, BobSlob said:

Where are you going in Canada specifically? It's a HUGE country and many of the major/tourist cities have smaller carriers that offer unlimited plans. Look into Freedom/Virgin/Public/Fido/Koodo as well, although Fido and Koodo are owned by the "Big 3".

Outside that you're basically stuck to Rogers/Bell/Telus and get to feel the ass-pain we Canucks face everyday :)

We're going to be spending most of our time around Toronto/Mississauga, but we'll be travelling down to Niagra Falls for a day or two and then eventually over to Windsor for the last few days of our trip. I'll take a look at those other providers.

• Like 1

Matthew S.    1,000
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah having spent the last week looking at a number of different options I think that's what I may end up doing. 

I've already downloaded local maps on Here maps. The area that you're able to download on Google is fairly limited and don't want the hassle of trying to download new areas once out there. 

We're going to be spending most of our time around Toronto/Mississauga, but we'll be travelling down to Niagra Falls for a day or two and then eventually over to Windsor for the last few days of our trip. I'll take a look at those other providers.

Oh Christ, word of warning you may bump into me...  Avoid Brampton like the plague.   Also I'm on vacay next week, so if you need any info PM me.

Also yes, our plans are that expensive.