Linux & Games

I've been interested in Linux for a very long time & I have tried Red Hat in the past, but I'm not willing to give-up all the games that are available on the PC.

Is there some software that will allow non-linux supported games to run on Linux? I am aware of WineX, but I'm not certain their support or application is top notch...

Does anyone know of any better alternatives? Is WineX good enough to ditch Windows completely -- game wise?

I am not a gamer, but I believe that wineX supports some games, but isn't the best answer.

If you are interested in Linux, but still want to keep playing Windows games, then your best solution is to dual boot. :yes:

Put Linux as your default, and use it for everything but the games.

Actually, now that I think about it, the best solution would be to have a Windows game PC, and a Linux PC. You could strip everything off WIndows that wasn't needed for games (through tweaks and such), and have a system tuned for games. No worries about breaking things like MSN/AOL/Yahoo messengers. Run them in Linux.

It depends entirely what games you play. If you play a massive variety of games, then to be perfectly blunt, stick with windows. Personally, I tend to stick with RPGs these days, and even those I don't play a lot of, so I can easily fulfil my gaming desires in Linux (native NWN, winex for Diablo2 and baldur's gate etc, and a bit of warcraft3 for a change). Linux also does pretty well in the basic staples of FPSs, like Quake3, UT, UT2k3, as well as getting native versions of AA, etc. So unless you are a real hardcore gamer, you'll probably get along fine.

You didn't see any responses like that because it is a ignorant one.

It's also a bit funny, too, if you ever frequent the Win2k3 forums! :laugh:

Wonder why we don't see responses like:

"Linux was not designed to play games. It is a server OS" :woot:

The MS Server 2K3 has them. :D

It's called discrimination. :p

Ohh that's so true! (Y)

Wonder why we don't see responses like:

"Linux was not designed to play games. It is a server OS" :woot:

The MS Server 2K3 has them. :D

It's called discrimination. :p

ROFL... but we all know my sig has the real truth :shifty:

Windows 2003 isn't a server, use Linux!