The Matrix Resurrections

So there was some pretty big movies news last night. Apart from the next Bond film being named, No Time to Die, we're getting a new Matrix film. Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss will both be returning. Lana Wachowski will be the one who'll write, produce and direct the new film. 

Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss will return in a fourth instalment of sci-fi franchise The Matrix, with Reeves reprising his lead role as hacker Neo.

Matrix co-creator Lana Wachowski will write, direct and produce the film, a third sequel to the original 1999 hit.

Ms Wachowski celebrated The Matrix's return, saying many of the ideas it explores are "even more relevant now".

The first three films in the franchise earned more than $1.6bn (£1.3bn) at the global box office.

Warner Bros Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich announced the new film on Tuesday, saying the studio "could not be more excited" about its return.

"Lana is a true visionary - a singular and original creative filmmaker - and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter", he said.

Source

How do people feel about this? I love The Martrix and whilst the next two films were never going to live up to the hype, they were definitely enjoyable. 

Given that we have some of the original people involved is it too big to fail? 

i guess the implication is that neither Neo or Trinity died at the end? Despite the fact that he basically had his brain burned up to stop Agent Smith and she was poked full of holes?

It'll be interesting to see where they take the story.

Overall they're fine, first one is the best of course, each one after that is a steady progression down though.  By the end of the 3rd it's like, no, just, no.   They took a simple idea in the first one and by the end of the 3rd tossed in so much extra BS spiritualism, psychology and a bunch of other stuff which in the end used a lot of words but said so little.   If the point was that history repeats and the argument about having control and choice is or isn't really a thing, with some talk about fate, then ok, but they took it 20 levels overboard that most people tuned out.

It's best to keep it simple with scifi, IMO.   You can ask deep questions, sure, the blade runner sequel does, but it doesn't go so far out there that you lose people.    That's just the way I see it anyways.  I don't have any expectations on this, because of who's writing and directing it, sad to say.  The Wachowskis were/are a flash in the pan creative duo, you see it often.  They had their one big hit and fizzed out.

This is as much a cash grab as anything else.  

1 minute ago, trag3dy said:

i guess the implication is that neither Neo or Trinity died at the end? Despite the fact that he basically had his brain burned up to stop Agent Smith and she was poked full of holes?

The easy thing to do is just to say they're fully digital now, no longer having a body, and you take it from there.

5 minutes ago, George P said:

Overall they're fine, first one is the best of course, each one after that is a steady progression down though.  By the end of the 3rd it's like, no, just, no.   They took a simple idea in the first one and by the end of the 3rd tossed in so much extra BS spiritualism, psychology and a bunch of other stuff which in the end used a lot of words but said so little.   If the point was that history repeats and the argument about having control and choice is or isn't really a thing, with some talk about fate, then ok, but they took it 20 levels overboard that most people tuned out.

It's best to keep it simple with scifi, IMO.   You can ask deep questions, sure, the blade runner sequel does, but it doesn't go so far out there that you lose people.    That's just the way I see it anyways.  I don't have any expectations on this, because of who's writing and directing it, sad to say.  The Wachowskis were/are a flash in the pan creative duo, you see it often.  They had their one big hit and fizzed out.

This is as much a cash grab as anything else.  

The easy thing to do is just to say they're fully digital now, no longer having a body, and you take it from there.

If the entire movie takes place inside the matrix that could be interesting.

And yeah, I would agree about the Wachowskis, all of their other movies after the matrix trilogy were not good despite the fact that I like some of them like Jupiter Ascending, it's one of my guilty pleasures. V for Vendetta is also pretty okay.

1 minute ago, trag3dy said:

And yeah, I would agree about the Wachowskis, all of their other movies after the matrix trilogy were not good despite the fact that I like some of them like Jupiter Ascending, it's one of my guilty pleasures. V for Vendetta is also pretty okay.

I loved V for Vendetta. 

Speed Racer is my guilty pleasure

2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

A few things about V for Vendetta which I also really liked.  It wasn't directed by them, it was directed by James McTeigue.    Another thing, and this is the big one, it's based off of a comic book.  It's not an original idea they came up with.   When you've already got the outline laid out for you it makes things easier IMO.  

3 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

How do people feel about this? I love The Martrix and whilst the next two films were never going to live up to the hype, they were definitely enjoyable. 

Given that we have some of the original people involved is it too big to fail? 

I'm interested but worried. I could watch another Matrix movie, but it really should be a standalone film. And what would be the story? Would the setting have changed?

4 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'm interested but worried. I could watch another Matrix movie, but it really should be a standalone film. And what would be the story? Would the setting have changed?

Exactly, they sorta closed off the trilogy, albeit with questions. 

I wanna see more, but I don't want it to ruin what's already out there.

You know what story I'd like to see told? The war with the machines, the burning of the sky, the subjugation of the humans, and the creation of the matrix.

They kind of showed these things in the animatrix but they basically went over the entire story in about 10 minutes from what I remember. But if they fleshed it out that would probably be too much for one movie.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

You know what story I'd like to see told? The war with the machines, the burning of the sky, the subjugation of the humans, and the creation of the matrix.

They kind of showed these things in the animatrix but they basically went over the entire story in about 10 minutes from what I remember. But if they fleshed it out that would probably be too much for one movie.

That would be interesting, but probably wouldn't involve Neo and Trinity :(

It could be a way for them to introduce a new "one" and it could be a whole new 7th cycle or a breakdown of the truce they had going at the end of the 3rd movie.    Maybe Neo and Trinity have a fully digital kid who takes full control of the system?  That'd be something I suppose.

2 hours ago, trag3dy said:

What if.. When they exited the Matrix, they just entered another Matrix inside the Matrix? Kinda like a Sandbox prevention control.. 

10 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

What if.. When they exited the Matrix, they just entered another Matrix inside the Matrix? Kinda like a Sandbox prevention control.. 

soo.... basically inception...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

6 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

soo.... basically inception...

giphy.gif

:rofl: 

26 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

It would explain Neo having his special powers in the outside world (when he stopped the squiddies).

• Like 3

If they did a inception like plot twist, it'd make all the stuff in the 3rd film even more pointless than it already is, you know?  Hell at this point I'd like them to do it just to see the fans lose themselves.  

It's sci-fi, you could bring them back in a number of ways, specially if you go off of the basic idea that they're "digital selves" have been saved/copied somewhere.   I don't know if they'll actually use clones, maybe if they want to do more "real world" scenes.  If the movie is fully in the matrix though, and areas between it and the rest of the machine network, then they don't need physical bodies IMO.

The best thing, and a way to bring real progress and peace that would last longer, is if they're fully digital and not limited to being just in the matrix.  If they can advance to the same level as the top level AIs like the Oracle for example, and have more control, they can push for more peace.   That way you can get a real ending and not another future 7th cycle waiting to happen.

Just now, George P said:

It's sci-fi, you could bring them back in a number of ways, specially if you go off of the basic idea that they're "digital selves" have been saved/copied somewhere.   I don't know if they'll actually use clones, maybe if they want to do more "real world" scenes.  If the movie is fully in the matrix though, and areas between it and the rest of the machine network, then they don't need physical bodies IMO.

Though remember, Neo was released from a pod in the real world.  So that could mean he was a clone that was placed in pod same can be said for Trinity being she was "freed" as well.

1 hour ago, primortal said:

Though remember, Neo was released from a pod in the real world.  So that could mean he was a clone that was placed in pod same can be said for Trinity being she was "freed" as well.

unless the inception like theory above ends up being true

17 hours ago, primortal said:

The Nerdist has a theory on how they can bring Neo and Trinity back, https://nerdist.com/article/matrix-4-revolutions-ending/

I have a problem with the first line of that:

"No franchise ever really dies in Hollywood, but Neo and Trinity definitely did"

That's false. It's extremely probably that Trinity died given how she was impaled several times but who knows what kind of medical treatment the machines could give her and it's never made clear if Neo did actually die considering his super matrix wizard powers. It's shown in the movie that having your connection to the matrix severed by pulling the plug out without exiting the matrix is lethal yet we saw Neo is beyond that and he has a connection to the matrix even when he's not connected directly to it.

I think both of them should have died and that tied the story up in a nice bow and finished it off but there is enough wiggle room there to say they didn't.

I also don't really care for the idea of them being clones. That just seems... cliche. I'd rather they just be ghosts trapped in the matrix or something else entirely.

3 hours ago, trag3dy said:

I think both of them should have died and that tied the story up in a nice bow and finished it off but there is enough wiggle room there to say they didn't.

I also don't really care for the idea of them being clones. That just seems... cliche. I'd rather they just be ghosts trapped in the matrix or something else entirely.

I think that's were they are heading.  But with that wiggle room they either lived and will continued on or that they are in fact clones and sort do a reset.  The Architect did say that Neo was the sixth one so if there were 5 before him which does lead one in to thinking Neo is a clone.  The Oracle could have made these clones to combat the Architect.  Who's to say the new movie won't make Keanu the OG Neo; old and scruffy looking (and is the template for the clones) comes out of hiding to have one last battle with the machines?

A few years ago there were stories going around that they were plans to reboot the Matrix (no pun intended 😛) and create new stories in the Matrix universe; https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/writer-of-new-matrix-movie-offers-cryptic-update-on-revival-scripthttps://www.syfy.com/syfywire/wachowskis-involved-with-new-matrix-report.  I guess WB dropped those plans and went with what Lana pitched instead.