The Matrix Resurrections

66 tomatoes only

Y42vYNt.jpg

On 24/12/2021 at 20:52, sagum said:

Oh boy a Matrix discussion.

Spoilers here - I guess there is going to be a lot of this about.

The use of footage from the previous movies to try and explain emotion and events seems like really put me off the movie. Hopefully there is a directors cut on bluray with those parts simple removed. I don't think they add anything to the movie, and just cause distraction. Something I feel the movie has been good at.

Reveal hidden contents

Throughout the movie there is suggestions that the new world Tom lives is the matrix.
If you watch the movie again with the idea that Neo is in the matrix already. The movie makes much more sense.

kS0oszP.jpg

I thought this theory was over the top and wrong back in 2003 after the Reloaded cliffhanger, and I think it is the same now. I don't even know what makes you think any of that. And like, what does it even do to serve the story and the movie? You're overthinking something that's not there.

Anywho, Kermode has a really nice review of it:

The gist of what he's saying is basically where I'm at with the movie: better than Revolutions, around the same level of Reloaded, and Matrix should have never had any sequels.

I'd just add that if this movie had better cinematography and had one sequence on par with the highway chase from Reloaded, it would have easily beat it. The story works so much better and isn't as disjointed as in Reloaded, and there's resolution by the end of the movie.

There's literally a scene in the movie that makes fun of the corporate woke-by-committee culture. For all the movie's flaws, that wasn't one of them. And even if it was - so what? Matrix was woke (in a good way) before it was a thing.

On 25/12/2021 at 09:55, freqnasty said:

It hasn’t been ruined by wokeness has it?

Umm, you saw the original's right? They were "woke" before woke was even a thing... They always were and, it seems, quite a few of the so-called "fans" completely missed the rather blatant messages in the original trilogy.  They were masterfully done (well, the first one... Let's not mention the other two, 'kay? :p )  and were a perfect commentary on the state of society and the suppression of the gay/trans/etc communities in the western world back in the 90's.

Was further commentary on that needed in 2021, where LGBTQ+ (sorry, too many letters to keep track of!)?  I don't really think so given how much acceptance there is now, but eh, who am I to limit what the filmmakers want to say?

Passing on the message itself, the movie was not really any better than the other 2 sequels IMO, and certainly not a patch on the original masterpiece.

I was excited for it.  I watched it and was like eh, ok.  Next?

I was a bit annoyed to multiple references to the first movie.  Saying that, I'm talking about where they almost use identical scenes.  Kind of like they were paying homage to the first movie multiple times.  Kind of like how Independence Day Sequel did.  I just got turned off by it.  If you can't be original and keep bringing viewers back to the first movie then it seems to tell me the movie isn't good enough to stand on its own.  The change of actors, Smith, Morpheus, etc, was jarring and stood out like a sore thumb.  I also didn't really care for the whole Neo was "the one" before and now its both him and Trinity together.  

I was seriously hoping for something more exciting and unfortunately, it didn't pan out.  I did hear that WB wants a 5th movie though....so yeah.

I thought it was decent... I was lost for the first 30 or so minutes, but it came together.  Not a great movie, certainly not what the original was, but decent.  

I liked parts of it but overall it is far from original.

Not what I exacted or wanted.  

On 28/12/2021 at 10:32, Steve B said:

I was excited for it.  I watched it and was like eh, ok.  Next?

I was a bit annoyed to multiple references to the first movie.  Saying that, I'm talking about where they almost use identical scenes.  Kind of like they were paying homage to the first movie multiple times.  Kind of like how Independence Day Sequel did.  I just got turned off by it.  If you can't be original and keep bringing viewers back to the first movie then it seems to tell me the movie isn't good enough to stand on its own.  The change of actors, Smith, Morpheus, etc, was jarring and stood out like a sore thumb.  I also didn't really care for the whole Neo was "the one" before and now its both him and Trinity together.  

I was seriously hoping for something more exciting and unfortunately, it didn't pan out.  I did hear that WB wants a 5th movie though....so yeah.

Pretty much this is my exact impressions.

Highly doubtful there will be more, considering this is bombing at the box office. It would need to do wonders on HBO Max to make Warner Bros. consider any sequels.

On 29/12/2021 at 11:39, Syanide said:

Highly doubtful there will be more, considering this is bombing at the box office. It would need to do wonders on HBO Max to make Warner Bros. consider any sequels.

Spiderman No Way Home has take $1bn at the box office so far, so people can't blame pandemic or whatever.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2021 at 03:39, Syanide said:

Sequals were made for movies that did worse. And streaming in hbo max hurts the box office. Also how easy to rip and pirate a streaming movie. 

• Like 2

On 29/12/2021 at 21:07, techbeck said:

Sequals were made for movies that did worse. And streaming in hbo max hurts the box office. Also how easy to rip and pirate a streaming movie. 

If spiderman is not HQ pirated yet and not streamed  - that would explain the box office success for sure.

Matrix might not have the same pull since it was years and 2 last movies were crapish... But it was also super easy to watch at home. And unlike Matrix 1 IMAX (which blew my mind out of the window)

I really don't see many people wanting to go to cinema for this. New Spiderman - I am even considering going to movies myself.

No wonder there.

On 29/12/2021 at 19:22, E.Worm Jimmy said:

If spiderman is not HQ pirated yet and not streamed  - that would explain the box office success for sure.

Have not seen any news that is has. And if it had, sure a movie this popular would be reported on. 

I can't wait for the discovery people to finally take over WB and fire all the top brass.  Their idea to push for day and date on HBO Max has seriously lost the company tens of millions of box office ticket sales. 

It'll be a great moment when new management is in place. 

Who cares? Having day one releases was awesome (mind you, I still went to the theater for Dune and Matrix).

HBO Max is great, and plenty of people probably wouldn't have tried it if it weren't for this release model. I don't know what percentage of them needs to stick around and for how long, to even out the box office losses, but I doubt they'd consider it if they didn't properly research it.

Anyway, theater releases are on the way out one way or another, I think we'll soon reach a point where it will be 30 days or less before blockbusters hit streaming. And personally, I can't wait. Yes, the theater experience can be awesome under right circumstances, but usually it means a bunch of people slurping their slop right in your ear, or worse, like clapping at the screen, as you're trying to focus on the movie. Not to mention the price. Easy pass.