• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Can i upgrade a Dell Optiplex 3010

Fagma    0

I'm looking to get my first actual PC and I am thinking of getting a Dell Optiplex 3010 and upgrading it some. I'm currently on a very low budget, <$400, and this is the only good option i can find that fits my budget. I want to upgrade it by adding 2 x 4gb ddr3 ripjaws, a single fan 1050ti, and then adding a 500W EVGA Psu. I am mainly wondering if the single fan 1050ti and the psu will fit. can anyone help me?

Mindovermaster    1,977
Posted (edited)

Well, Crucial say its limit is 8GB (2 x 4GB). So you are safe there.

The 1050Ti isn't a "fan". It's a graphics card.

500Watt should be fine for that setup. IIRC, the Dell just comes with a 300W.

But for the PSU, I think you can get cheaper with a Cosair, than with an EVGA...

Fagma    0
Posted (edited)

What I meant by single fan was the type of 1050. Theres single fans and double fans that i see on newegg, and the single fan is smaller. Do you think that the 1050 will fit in the computer? The case is sort of small, so thats why im asking. I really just need to know if the parts that i stated will actually fit inside of the case.

Mindovermaster    1,977

There are several versions of Dell Optiplex 3010. There is the full version, SFF, mini-pc, etc. Also there are i3, i5 and i7 variants. Would be nice to know WHICH one you are getting.

Fagma    0

I apologize, I was not aware that there are multiple versions. This is the model number MBDEL3010-W10/3.1Ci5  I hope that will help you. Thanks for helping me out btw.

Mindovermaster    1,977

You need a low profile card for that SFF case/system. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Geforce-Profile-Graphic-GV-N105TOC-4GL/dp/B06WWLWWJM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=1050ti+low+profile&qid=1566673319&s=electronics&sr=1-1

IDK where you live, so this is just an example. Prices differ everywhere you go.

Jim K    13,223

So it looks like this?

Capture.thumb.JPG.0d1ecee74d490bb56e4fb940987ad874.JPG

If so ... no for the PSU and probably no for the 1050ti.  According to this (https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_3010_technical_guidebook.pdf ) the PCIe slot only provides 50w ... the 1050ti requires 75w.  You could try a low profile 1050ti ... but ooof.  If you had bought the mini tower version ... your options would have been better.

Mindovermaster    1,977
23 minutes ago, Jim K said:

If so ... no for the PSU and probably no for the 1050ti.  According to this (https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_3010_technical_guidebook.pdf ) the PCIe slot only provides 50w ... the 1050ti requires 75w.  You could try a low profile 1050ti ... but ooof.  If you had bought the mini tower version ... your options would have been better.

I thought low profile 1050 cards use less power...

As for the PSU, yeah. He could still upgrade it, but he need a small PSU to do it.

Jim K    13,223
36 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I thought low profile 1050 cards use less power...

As for the PSU, yeah. He could still upgrade it, but he need a small PSU to do it.

Do they?  Every 1050ti low pofile I've seen is 75W ... including the one you linked to.  It might work ... but I'm not recommending it.

It is a proprietary power supply ... not ATX, SFX, etc.  Even if you could beef it up, you'll still have the 50W PCIe issue.

Mindovermaster    1,977
23 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Do they?  Every 1050ti low pofile I've seen is 75W ... including the one you linked to.  It might work ... but I'm not recommending it.

It is a proprietary power supply ... not ATX, SFX, etc.  Even if you could beef it up, you'll still have the 50W PCIe issue.

If anything, it will just run at the lower speed, but yeah, he'd have to go with a lower Wattage card.

I thought that PSU on the Dell was an ITX PSU. Like this: https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-0095-000G2

Jim K    13,223
7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

If anything, it will just run at the lower speed, but yeah, he'd have to go with a lower Wattage card.

I thought that PSU on the Dell was an ITX PSU. Like this: https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-0095-000G2

oh, is that how things work?  It just slows down ... no worries of BSOD's or it just flat out not working.  Alrighty then!

It isn't a mini ITX PSU

Mindovermaster    1,977
19 minutes ago, Jim K said:

oh, is that how things work?  It just slows down ... no worries of BSOD's or it just flat out not working.  Alrighty then!

It isn't a mini ITX PSU

It's not, OK. Never really messed with Dells...

Fagma    0

I haven't actually purchased the computer yet, and I still have a while before I can purchase it, I'm just trying to think ahead. If i were to get the MT version would a PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Single fan graphics card, and a new cx550 psu work out? I wouldn't mind getting the MT instead, as it is only a little extra. Im currently thinking of the 1050 Ti that i previously mentioned along with the cx550 psu, and maybe 2 x 4gb ddr3 rip jaws if I have extra money to work with. Thanks for helping me out btw guys, I really appreciate it. I've never built a pc before, and know very little about them as you can probably tell, so you guys are helping me out a lot.

Jim K    13,223

I do not see anything worrisome with what you listed for the mid tower.

Fagma    0

Thank you very much for your help. I really hope that those parts will work with the computer that i plan on getting.

ThaCrip    596
Posted (edited)

A quick look online I found a article from May 2019 that says...

All in all, the GTX 1650 offers a pretty decent performance bump compared to the outgoing GTX 1050 Ti, which, considering they cost exactly the same amount of money these days, makes the GTX 1050 Ti pretty much obsolete as an entry-level graphics card. As I mentioned above, though, the main problem is that AMD’s Radeon RX 570 is also around the £150 / $150 mark these days, which is even faster than the GTX 1650.

There’s no denying the GTX 1650 is a decent entry-level graphics card for those after something small and energy efficient, but in terms of raw power, the RX 570 continues to reign supreme as the best graphics card for cash-strapped 1080p buyers.

so it appears there is basically no reason to get a 1050 Ti over a 1650 model since it's superior and likely similar power draw and cost etc.

it might be possible to build a computer for $400 especially if you don't need a monitor or can use a older one you might have laying around. even with PSU's anything 400-500watt should be plenty as I got a 520watt Seasonic in my PC with some hard drives and have no issues as I could likely put in my 4xx watt PSU (which I will use as a backup in case my current one ever dies) and I doubt I would have trouble.

I have a Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB (EVGA brand) and yeah it's 75watt which is standard for PCI-E and it does take up two slots on the back of the computer case. but at this point it seems pointless to get the 1050 Ti over the 1650 model considering price is similar it seems.

here is a random link I found online just to give you a rough idea for a PC for $400 etc... https://www.xtremegaminerd.com/build-a-400-master-gaming-pc/

• Thanks 1