• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Surface Book (1st Gen) - Should I be installing Win10 1903? What about NVIDIA drivers?

Riva    1,176

Hello,

I always tried to run the latest and gratest on all my machines but I am in a bit of dillema with the SB after doing a clean install using the official recovery image;

• The recovery image is 1803 which is quite dated. Moreover, 1903 isnt really coming up via Windows Update (tried for days)
  • The NVIDIA Driver provided by Microsoft is 390.x version. I could always install the latest but is it optimal?

Thanks

Sulphy    1,441

I too have a SB 1st Gen, and have been installing every iteration of Win10 (release preview / insider builds) .... and have also re-installed a few from the Pre-Release ISO's MSFT have released, and have not had any issues at all. No drivers failed. and the Nvidia drivers work 100%.

I tend to wait for the next big update ISO, and grab it from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced .. and do a fresh install.

It all runs like a dream... :) 

Riva    1,176
1 minute ago, Sulphy said:

I too have a SB 1st Gen, and have been installing every iteration of Win10 (release preview / insider builds) .... and have also re-installed a few from the Pre-Release ISO's MSFT have released, and have not had any issues at all. No drivers failed. and the Nvidia drivers work 100%.

I tend to wait for the next big update ISO, and grab it from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced .. and do a fresh install.

It all runs like a dream... :) 

My previous install was a clean install of the latest version where i added the drivers separately (downloaded from microsoft.com). The issue I started facing with it lately were some performance lockups of the overall operating system and also firefox would freeze up and not even close down.

My new install with the recovery image seems to work just fine so far, so I am a bit sceptical.

Sulphy    1,441
2 minutes ago, Riva said:

My previous install was a clean install of the latest version where i added the drivers separately (downloaded from microsoft.com). The issue I started facing with it lately were some performance lockups of the overall operating system and also firefox would freeze up and not even close down.

My new install with the recovery image seems to work just fine so far, so I am a bit sceptical.

Hmmm.... odd, i didnt have any issues with my SB, and have all the latest fw releases etc. i dont use FF much, use edge chromium mostly these days. So from a browser perspective, i have also been fine.

I also use drivers from msft update, apart from Nvidia of course.

Did you see the recent fw release issues from msft, that caused SB CPU to run at 600mhz on the CPU, that could have caused the system to go sideways. I also didnt have that problem on mine tho.... seems to be very hit n miss.

Unfortunately, i cannot offer much else, mine seems to have been completely hassle free. and i use my SB daily.....

CronchyNut    5

I installed 1903 on my Book gen 1 and it runs really well. If necessary you could run the upgrade and then do the clean install afterwards. Or I think the Windows media creation tool is pulling down the 1903 ISO currently.