• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Hurricane Dorian

Mindovermaster    2,510
4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Nope, his house will just collapse on it. 

Exactly my point... It WILL NOT fly away if it is in his house...

It will be crushed, yes, but still will be there.

FloatingFatMan    18,817
13 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Exactly my point... It WILL NOT fly away if it is in his house...

It will be crushed, yes, but still will be there.

Crushed or blown away, it's still destroyed! Better to get in it and drive it away to somewhere safe...

• Like 2

wakjak    19,044

While we're not getting any evacuation warnings, work has been canceled for tomorrow night.... and possibly sunday night depending on if the power is on or off...Thanks a lot Dorian...

71f335f2238d4eaf-600x338.jpg

DocM    16,615
17 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

But but, some people can’t evacuate! /s

About 200 people stayed at Cape Canaveral and rode it out. NASA, SpaceX and folks from other companies who sheltered in NASA & SpaceX facilities. Also those from the USAF 45th Space Wing.

• Facepalm 1

wakjak    19,044

And they could have easily evacuated no doubt. Stupidly staying put to do what? Look cool? Not worth the risk. 

• Like 3

adrynalyne    12,398
3 hours ago, DocM said:

About 200 people stayed at Cape Canaveral and rode it out. NASA, SpaceX and folks from other companies who sheltered in NASA & SpaceX facilities. Also those from the USAF 45th Space Wing.

Like I said, intelligent people evacuate. Were those structures safe from a hurricane? If so, now you are just trolling. 

+xrobwx    806
On 9/5/2019 at 4:26 PM, adrynalyne said:

Nope. If I did, you can be damn sure I’d evacuate if need be. No home or belonging is worth your life. 

It's mixed, some say they will never stay again and have PTSD and some said they will stay because if they didn't, they would have had thousands of dollars more damage. I evacuated and won't stay the next time.  Michael was a Cat 5, it was horrific not knowing for 3 days whether my home was intact. I was lucky, lost every single shingle on my house and every tree in the yard,1 tree missed the house by inches, a broken window even though it was boarded. Others, total devastation, only a foundation left behind. For some they intended to go but waited too long to evacuate. Michael was a Cat 3 then the next morning it was approaching a CAT 5. 

adrynalyne    12,398
47 minutes ago, xrobwx said:

It's mixed, some say they will never stay again and have PTSD and some said they will stay because if they didn't, they would have had thousands of dollars more damage. I evacuated and won't stay the next time.  Michael was a Cat 5, it was horrific not knowing for 3 days whether my home was intact. I was lucky, lost every single shingle on my house and every tree in the yard,1 tree missed the house by inches, a broken window even though it was boarded. Others, total devastation, only a foundation left behind. For some they intended to go but waited too long to evacuate. Michael was a Cat 3 then the next morning it was approaching a CAT 5. 

Yeah I wouldn’t be able to handle going through that. Sorry you had to go through it. 😕

• Like 1

DocM    16,615
8 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Like I said, intelligent people evacuate. Were those structures safe from a hurricane? If so, now you are just trolling. 

In 2004 the giant Vehicle Assembly Building and others were damaged by Hurricanes Jeanne and Francis. 

SpaceX over-built their facilities at LC-39A (including reinforcing the launch tower) and LC-40, and will again at the new 67 acre SpaceX Operations Area (likely for Starship), but there are no guarantees. 

They stay because some things require monitoring and security.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

adrynalyne    12,398
21 minutes ago, DocM said:

In 2004 the giant Vehicle Assembly Building and others were damaged by Hurricanes Jeanne and Francis. 

SpaceX over-built their facilities at LC-39A (including reinforcing the launch tower) and LC-40, and will again at the new 67 acre SpaceX Operations Area (likely for Starship), but there are no guarantees. 

They stay because some things require monitoring and security.

So you were trolling. Got it. You can’t monitor or provide security for a destroyed building so clearly they knew they weren’t in any peril. 🙄

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

DocM    16,615
1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

So you were trolling. Got it. 

So the 100+ guys at VAB don't register in your neural net? Odd set of gates in there....

• Facepalm 2

adrynalyne    12,398
Just now, DocM said:

So the 100+ guys at VAB don't register in your neural net? Odd set of gates in there....

I’m not interested in discussing your BS any further, now that we established it for what it is. 🙂

+rdlenk    150

You guys need to chill out. This is a thread about Dorian which has gone back up to a CAT2 but is luckily moving right along back out to sea. Those still in its path in Canada won't have to deal with it for long at least as it zips by. We got extremely lucky in Florida, this storm was a real menace.

I also want to note that it is super frustrating to see inaccurate information but not correct it. I had a big write-up of the hurricane procedures used at the Cape but I don't really think the gritty details need to be public. Short version: there is a group of people that need to ride out a storm. They are extremely well protected but are still in harms way. It is usually all volunteers who make this personal sacrifice to help ensure the safety of the returning workforce after the storm has past.

As to whether or not you evacuate is really dependent on a lot of factors. As some have mentioned, having the "means" to evacuate is one of those factors. This could mean monetarily, sure, but may also be more intangible like access to reliable transportation or when you will be expected to return to work. There are plenty of people out there that can not afford to lose their job and since Florida is a "right to work" state the risk of losing your job because of missed worked is real. Those people that live in mandatory evacuation zones have shelters on the mainland available for use if they can't make other plans. These are almost always public schools and do not have the capacity to hold everyone nor do they provide any services other than a roof, clean water and a bathroom. Official guidelines for those not living in an evac zone are to stay put if you have a sturdy structure (ie, not a mobile home) or leave the area completely.

Deciding to stay or go is a complex decision involving lots of different factors. Saying something so generalized like "intelligent people evacuate" is both hurtful and inaccurate.

• Thanks 3

adrynalyne    12,398
31 minutes ago, rdlenk said:

You guys need to chill out. This is a thread about Dorian which has gone back up to a CAT2 but is luckily moving right along back out to sea. Those still in its path in Canada won't have to deal with it for long at least as it zips by. We got extremely lucky in Florida, this storm was a real menace.

I also want to note that it is super frustrating to see inaccurate information but not correct it. I had a big write-up of the hurricane procedures used at the Cape but I don't really think the gritty details need to be public. Short version: there is a group of people that need to ride out a storm. They are extremely well protected but are still in harms way. It is usually all volunteers who make this personal sacrifice to help ensure the safety of the returning workforce after the storm has past.

As to whether or not you evacuate is really dependent on a lot of factors. As some have mentioned, having the "means" to evacuate is one of those factors. This could mean monetarily, sure, but may also be more intangible like access to reliable transportation or when you will be expected to return to work. There are plenty of people out there that can not afford to lose their job and since Florida is a "right to work" state the risk of losing your job because of missed worked is real. Those people that live in mandatory evacuation zones have shelters on the mainland available for use if they can't make other plans. These are almost always public schools and do not have the capacity to hold everyone nor do they provide any services other than a roof, clean water and a bathroom. Official guidelines for those not living in an evac zone are to stay put if you have a sturdy structure (ie, not a mobile home) or leave the area completely.

Deciding to stay or go is a complex decision involving lots of different factors. Saying something so generalized like "intelligent people evacuate" is both hurtful and inaccurate.

I really don’t think a job is a consideration of whether you evacuate or not if your life depends on it. You can’t work from beyond the grave.  So again we circle around to intelligent people evacuate, but to not hurt your feelings, I will preface it with, if they are in danger of death. I’m certain there are plenty of deceased people who thought they didn’t have a choice. A storm that you have days notice about? You can ride a bike out of harms way if money is an issue. 

Let me ask you something. If a wildfire was moving towards your home and it’s in its path, would you stay? If it catches fire and burns down, what would you have accomplished?

How many of these volunteers or people who need to stay at a resort? Don’t just take my comment out of context. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Unobscured Vision    2,678

Some won't leave out of principle, ill-advised (or not) or out of necessity for interests beyond the need of themselves. Mission-critical tasks, etc. This includes places like Datacenters on up to facilities at SpaceX and NASA on up to Mil/Gov. Long as those Evac Locations are designed to ride out such events there's little to no risk in doing so.

Every mission-critical center should have such a place of refuge in times like those available to personnel that require these places. Sometimes several.

• Thanks 1

+rdlenk    150
7 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I really don’t think a job is a consideration of whether you evacuate or not if your life depends on it. You can’t work from beyond the grave.  So again we circle around to intelligent people evacuate, but to not hurt your feelings, I will preface it with, if they are in danger of death. I’m certain there are plenty of deceased people who thought they didn’t have a choice. A storm that you have days notice about? You can ride a bike out of harms way if money is an issue. 

Let me ask you something. If a wildfire was moving towards your home and it’s in its path, would you stay? If it catches fire and burns down, what would you have accomplished?

How many of these volunteers or people who need to stay at a resort? Don’t just take my comment out of context. 

The problem with hypothetical scenarios is they very rarely have much in common under the surface. A wildfire and a hurricane don't share many similarities other than immanent danger if they are coming right at you. A wildfire rarely affects a large population and is very predictable and relatively controllable giving those affected an opportunity to get direct guidance from professionals on the best course of action for them. A hurricane has a far larger impact affecting literally millions of people. Consider the logistics if everyone in the path of a storm were to evacuate. Where would they go? How would they be fed and sheltered? Hurricanes are also pretty unpredictable. We have models that try their best but the reality is a hurricane can change course\intensity at any point. When would the evacuation for "everyone" be order? It would take a long time to move everyone but if it is ordered too early then the hurricane could change course and people might actually be "evacuating" into the new path of the storm. At one point the path for Dorian covered almost all of Florida; the mass migration of 21.3 million people evacuating North would destroy infrastructure, clog roadways, cram airports and very likely cause more deaths than the hurricane itself. This is precisely why the official guidance from emergency management professionals and officials is to "evacuate locally" if you are in an evac zone.

As I said, the decision to evacuate is complex and there are a ton of factors and logistics to consider. Getting on a bike to escape a hurricane is likely a terrible idea. Where would you sleep? How do you get clean water? What do you eat? Hurricanes are multi-day events that you need to be well prepared for and sometimes the best place to be is at your house with its many safety features designed to give you the best chance you will likely get with the right preparations.

There are several hypothetical scenarios we can look at that could result in a decision to evacuate or not. If you are in an especially dangerous area (ie, flood zone, barrier island) or live in a mobile home then yes getting on your bike (or more likely a free ride from Uber) to your closest shelter is a must both for your safety and of those that will inevitably have to try and save you. If you live in a new, cinder-block home, with storm shutters, a hurricane roof and are down the block from a hospital in one direction and in the other an elementary school that was designated by the county as a public shelter and are not in a evac zone? You are probably best off preparing supplies and staying put.

That would be the intelligent decision.

+xrobwx    806
On 9/7/2019 at 10:31 AM, adrynalyne said:

Yeah I wouldn’t be able to handle going through that. Sorry you had to go through it. 😕

Thank you for saying that, I appreciate it.

Mindovermaster    2,510

I just saw this. Interesting...