• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Upgrading storage drive on laptop to a SSD?

Jim K    13,480
7 minutes ago, Technique said:

We’re still discussing it because my comment wasn’t actually a serious one. It was more in the sense of how when something new (Windows 10) comes out all of a sudden the previous thing is ‘bad’. Avoid avoid avoid like it’s the worst thing on earth ... yet when THAT came out it’ll have been the greatest thing since sliced bread also. 

My comment is in reply to the stance of SSD on Windows 7 suddenly appears to be a thing to avoid. Totally different than the advice I was given around 2013, yet now it appears it’s bad advice??

Nothing is "bad" with a SSD and Windows 7.  The only thing "bad" is Windows 7 after January 14th next year with respect to no more security updates.

Nothing is wrong with Windows 10 either ... it is fine.

• Like 1

Technique    36

Exactly my point. 

ThaCrip    605
3 hours ago, Technique said:

My comment is in reply to the stance of SSD on Windows 7 suddenly appears to be a thing to avoid. Totally different than the advice I was given around 2013, yet now it appears it’s bad advice??

I think it's especially because Microsoft is dropping support of Windows 7 in Jan 2020 which is a little over 4 months from now (which means no more security updates etc, which means not all that long after that it won't be safe to use online especially if any major security issues turn up). that's why using Windows 7 is generally a bad idea at this point, unless for whatever reason you can't get rid of it.

because back in 2013, Windows 7 was THE Microsoft OS to use especially given Microsoft dropped support of Windows XP in April 2014.

+Fahim S.    1,086

£ for £, an SSD is the best upgrade you can make to a computer with a spinning platter drive after a RAM upgrade.  The speed difference is phenomenal.  I've done the upgrade for a few people I know and their face lights up like I gave them a new machine, even putting an SSD in a machine from 10 years ago. 

Buy a good brand.. basically a Samsung and you won't go wrong.

Looking at Amazon right now for Samsung Evo 860's:

£54 for 250GB (£0.216/GB)

£74 for 500GB (£0.148/GB)

£135 for 1TB (£0.135/GB)

Seems like 1TB offers the best value, but do you really need that much storage (hint - very few people actually do)? Personally I think whilst more expensive on the GB, the 500GB represents the most pocket friendly price/capacity ratio.

+Fahim S.    1,086
6 hours ago, Technique said:

We’re still discussing it because my comment wasn’t actually a serious one. It was more in the sense of how when something new (Windows 10) comes out all of a sudden the previous thing is ‘bad’. Avoid avoid avoid like it’s the worst thing on earth ... yet when THAT came out it’ll have been the greatest thing since sliced bread also. 

It's called progress...  Sorry for sounding like a troll, but it genuinely is.

Things move forward and advice becomes out of date, especially advice given 6 years ago which is an absolute age in computing.

ThaCrip    605
11 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

Seems like 1TB offers the best value, but do you really need that much storage (hint - very few people actually do)? Personally I think whilst more expensive on the GB, the 500GB represents the most pocket friendly price/capacity ratio.

I agree. but I think it will mostly boil down to whether the person plays a lot of games or not as those that do, especially since more modern games can burn up a lot of storage space, the 1TB can be a better overall choice for those types of people. but short of those types, the 500GB range is definitely the sweet spot overall like you basically said.

still, even for gamers... the 500GB range still offers fair storage for games and is noticeably cheaper, and like you said, 500GB is plenty for many people who might download some music and use their computers for general usage and play some modern games especially if they don't have to have plenty of games all installed at once.

p.s. I still use my Samsung 850 EVO 250GB which I had since May 2015 (I think I paid $119.99 at the time which is around the time the 250GB range SSD's started getting reasonably priced) and while it would be nice to get say a 500GB or 1TB range SSD, in the end... I am holding off as I can still easily get by with my current one as getting more storage would not be enough of a upgrade for me to justify the $, especially given the small amount of games I do play, easily fit onto my current SSD's (Intel 545s 128GB/Samsung 850 EVO 250GB).

Mindovermaster    2,167

@ThaCripMost gaming people store their game data on a platter drive, not an SSD. They will load there most frequently played games on there, yes, but not 50-100 games.

• Like 1

Technique    36
3 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

I think it's especially because Microsoft is dropping support of Windows 7 in Jan 2020 which is a little over 4 months from now (which means no more security updates etc, which means not all that long after that it won't be safe to use online especially if any major security issues turn up). that's why using Windows 7 is generally a bad idea at this point, unless for whatever reason you can't get rid of it.

because back in 2013, Windows 7 was THE Microsoft OS to use especially given Microsoft dropped support of Windows XP in April 2014.

You're confusing the point though. At this section of the thread we're not talking about whether Windows 7 is a good idea, we're talking about the idea of an SSD on Windows 7 being a bad idea all of a sudden.

54 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

It's called progress...  Sorry for sounding like a troll, but it genuinely is.

Things move forward and advice becomes out of date, especially advice given 6 years ago which is an absolute age in computing.

I understand the idea of process but the idea that an SSD being used in Windows 7 is all of a sudden a bad idea overnight seems ludicrous. What, because Windows 10 came out on Tuesday but on Monday Windows 7 was fine?

That's like saying Volkswagen have released a new Golf with better safety features over the previous model which came top in all the safety tests, so now all of a sudden it is a bad idea to have the previous model Golf because it's not very safe.

Budman - sorry i didn't realise i hadn't answered your question. The laptop was primarily bought for vehicle diagnostics and the program simply wont run on Windows 10. I'd need to buy a whole new device with newer software, i can't just get new software for an old device.

I use the laptop occasionally outside of that, when i'm downstairs and need to look something up or whatever. Like i said, the laptop doesn't get hammered but it doesn't mean i'm ok with slow speeds either. I do all iPhone/iPad updating of apps through the iTunes on the laptop since it stopped working on my PC. I update the sat nav, my wife's smartwatch on the laptop.  Maybe i could get the diagnostics to work within a Virtual Machine inside Windows 10 but to be honest i've had it with Virtual Machines.

ThaCrip    605
3 minutes ago, Technique said:

At this section of the thread we're not talking about whether Windows 7 is a good idea, we're talking about the idea of an SSD on Windows 7 being a bad idea all of a sudden.

I never heard of someone saying SSD on Windows 7 is a bad idea(?) as I don't see how it could be.