• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Hard Drive Going Bad - Need To Replace

patseguin    1,315

I have a homebuilt system in my sig. I started getting a SMART error on one of my hard drives. I run 2x 2TB hard drives (3.63TB available) in RAID for storage and less-used games. About 1.57TB is actually used and probably a good portion of it is just data that I can back up to the cloud.

What I'm trying to decide is the cheapest and best replacement for it. I run m2 drives and a couple of regular SSD's and love the performance. Are SSD's down in piece where I can get maybe an older 2-4TB SSD for close to the price I'd pay for a decent performing HDD? Like maybe a Samsung 850 EVO or something?

Jim K    13,445

You're still looking at around $200+ for 2TB SSDs.  You might be able to find something on eBay cheaper ... but yea.

If you need it just for data storage ... might as well stick with a large capacity HDD.  You can get 8TB HDDs for around the same price as 2TB SSDs ... with 2, 4, 6TB's HDDs being cheaper (obviously).  Guess it all depends on what its intended purpose is.

patseguin    1,315
17 hours ago, Jim K said:

You're still looking at around $200+ for 2TB SSDs.  You might be able to find something on eBay cheaper ... but yea.

If you need it just for data storage ... might as well stick with a large capacity HDD.  You can get 8TB HDDs for around the same price as 2TB SSDs ... with 2, 4, 6TB's HDDs being cheaper (obviously).  Guess it all depends on what its intended purpose is.

I saw a Samsung 850 Evo 2TB for like $220 which doesn't seem too bad. I mostly use that large volume for data storage and a steam library with my less commonly played games. Maybe I'll find a regular old hard drive. What's good these days? Maybe a 4TB WD blue?

+BudMan    3,536

You could pick up 8TB for like hair over a hundred these days... I have seen 10TB for like 159... If all it is storage, just get an external (they are cheaper) and then just shuck it..  I have a 8TB WD that I shucked that I picked up off reward points.. That my company does for walking every day with your fitbit reporting it.. Like a year ago - still working just fine..

If meant to be a storage drive, doesn't have to be super speedy.. I show 4TB WD blue for like 90ish on amazon... For 140 you could get 8TB external and just shuck it.. If you don't need right away - just keep eye out for deals.. They show up every few weeks.

adrynalyne    12,125
18 minutes ago, BudMan said:

You could pick up 8TB for like hair over a hundred these days... I have seen 10TB for like 159... If all it is storage, just get an external (they are cheaper) and then just shuck it..  I have a 8TB WD that I shucked that I picked up off reward points.. That my company does for walking every day with your fitbit reporting it.. Like a year ago - still working just fine..

If meant to be a storage drive, doesn't have to be super speedy.. I show 4TB WD blue for like 90ish on amazon... For 140 you could get 8TB external and just shuck it.. If you don't need right away - just keep eye out for deals.. They show up every few weeks.

Where did you find an 8TB for a hair over a hundred? Is it 5400rpm or something?

+BudMan    3,536

8TB are currently 139$ on amazon.. they go on sale all the time... Yeah the externals are most likely going to be 5400..

B&H had last month 120$ +free shipping, Costco had one for $119, Staples had on for 90 and free shipping... You just have to keep informed of deals is all..

Google express has 10TB WD for $179 but has 20% off code (max 20$), so can get for $159 right now.  Free Shipping good through sept 30th.

Who cares if its 5400 rpm, its a storage drive - not your OS drive.  I could care if it was 100RPM if could write to it and read to it at speed.. The 8TB in my nas has zero issues with 220MBps to and from it over my smb3 multichannel connection.

patseguin    1,315
2 hours ago, BudMan said:

8TB are currently 139$ on amazon.. they go on sale all the time... Yeah the externals are most likely going to be 5400..

B&H had last month 120$ +free shipping, Costco had one for $119, Staples had on for 90 and free shipping... You just have to keep informed of deals is all..

Google express has 10TB WD for $179 but has 20% off code (max 20$), so can get for $159 right now.  Free Shipping good through sept 30th.

Who cares if its 5400 rpm, its a storage drive - not your OS drive.  I could care if it was 100RPM if could write to it and read to it at speed.. The 8TB in my nas has zero issues with 220MBps to and from it over my smb3 multichannel connection.

Wow that's a good price, and a good point on 5400 rpm. I was shopping 7200 because of speed, but you're right since it's mainly a storage drive.

On a side note, I may not buy WD anymore. I use WD Red drives in my Synology NAS and I've replaced all the drives in a matter of a couple of years. Now, it is in failure mode with 2 drives doing bad. WD can't make drives that are specifically for NAS's that don't last longer than 2 years?

EDIT: ON that sale drive, maybe I wouldn't notice any speed issue if I bought 2x 5TB and ran them in RAID0 like I do with my 2x 2TB ones right now. Or is RAID1, can't remember..

+BudMan    3,536

The warranty of Reds are what 3 years, or what if pro 5 years.. If its saying its failing RMA it and move on.... The nonsense of not going to buy brand X any more because it failed.. Your going to run out of HDD makers at that rate because ALL drives fail at some point..

Are you running reds in a PC, do you turn that pc on and off?  Reds are meant for nas - which should just be on 24/7/365 - not on and off every day like PC, etc.  So if they are failing early maybe that is related?

• Like 1

patseguin    1,315
3 minutes ago, BudMan said:

The warranty of Reds are what 3 years, or what if pro 5 years.. If its saying its failing RMA it and move on.... The nonsense of not going to buy brand X any more because it failed.. Your going to run out of HDD makers at that rate because ALL drives fail at some point..

I hear ya, but every single drive in a 10 bay unit has failed in the space of about 5 years and now 2 of the replacements are failing.

+BudMan    3,536

Well maybe there is something wrong with the 10 bay unit, maybe they are running too hot.  Did you buy all the disks at the same time - so they came from the same batch?  Again are you turn this bay on and off all the time?  Did the drives last through their warranty?  Did you get them replaced via RMA for free?

No matter what drive you name X, someone going to say it sucks, if you say Y, - others will say those suck.. I can for sure find a brand name you mention on the net that says they suck, and then others that say they rock..  You should buy your disk based upon price per GB, and use of the drive and warranty... I wouldn't buy a disk with 6 month warranty for example ;)  You don't need 7200, 10k rpm drives for "storage" etc. etc.

If your looking for new drives - really wouldn't care what brand name it is.. What is its price, how big is it.  Can it provide the speed you want for how your going to use it.  Notice that more than likely if you shuck a drive you just threw out the warranty anyway ;)  So if that is a concern for you - be aware.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    2,145

Yeah, @BudMan, A lot of people around me hates Seagate. But I do not. If the price per performance is good, I'd get them. I only used WD, Seagate, and Intel/HGST (SAS)

I had to RMA alot of them, BUT that does not stop me from using them. One WD I remember was DOA. It happens...

• Like 1

farmeunit    667

I saw an Intel 660p 2TB M.2 the other day for $175.  

Here it is for $185.  https://www.newegg.com/intel-660p-series-2tb/p/N82E16820167461

But still cheaper to get spinning disks much larger.  Just depends on what you want or need.