Smart Watch?

hello gang,

I have been curious lately about getting a smart watch. 

I obviously have no intention of getting an I watch, as they are way to expensive.

but I keep seeing these adds on Facebook and else where selling these $30 and $40 smart watches.

I'm just curious if anyone has done any research into this technology and if they have any recommendations.

I have an Iphone Xs if that matters at all.

Thank you

I would prefer you get a watch that makes a good first impression. I doubt those crappy $30 $40 watches will do that. They may leave a bad taste in your mouth.

As far as iOS i'm not even sure they work with that. 

Get what you pay for really.  Personally if I ever get a smart watch, it would be a Fossil.  I believe Fossils work with iOS, or may soon.

Also, what brand smart watches are you seeing for 30-40 bucks?

4 hours ago, techbeck said:

Get what you pay for really.  Personally if I ever get a smart watch, it would be a Fossil.  I believe Fossils work with iOS, or may soon.

Also, what brand smart watches are you seeing for 30-40 bucks?

as far as brand names, I'm not sure. I believe they are just some cheap generic ones from china that come up in facebook ads, They are all the same, at least the ones I'm seeing are. I cannot log into facebook at the moment from work. But this site is not blocked, I will look when i leave here. They all say the work with Iphones. 

5 hours ago, AOXOMOXOA said:

as far as brand names, I'm not sure. I believe they are just some cheap generic ones from china that come up in facebook ads, They are all the same, at least the ones I'm seeing are. I cannot log into facebook at the moment from work. But this site is not blocked, I will look when i leave here. They all say the work with Iphones. 

I would really watch out for those smart watches that cost that much.    There are several low end smart watches out there, do a search, from name brands/known OEMs that cost around 80-150.  Would prob be better to spend a bit more on something like this.  But as with anything, check on the reviews and see what people are saying.  No reviews or low number of people reviewing, steer clear IMO.

I bought cheap smart watches for my wife and myself from wish.com. Worked reasonably (had intermittent issues) well with our iPhones for about 6 months when they both stopped working. I also bought a cheap camera for my daughter that lasted about a year before packing up. They get the costs down by using cheap components and they are badly made. You'll just end up wasting your money in the long run. I'd rather save up for a more expensive item that will last more than a year.

• Like 1

@BudManhas asked the most important question here... why?

This isn't some sort of way to say why bother, but features different from watch to watch depending on what you want to get out of it.

Most of these types of threads you'll see names like apple, Samsung, Fossil and Fitbit etc being tossed around because they're all great devices in their own right. For me though, I never wanted a smart watch, I wanted a fitness watch which means I've gone down the Garmin route. It's still "smart" in the sense I get notifications from my phone to the watch but it's not going to stop me reaching for my phone any less when those notifications do pop.

^Exactly... Not all "smart watch" created equal that is for sure.  I can not expect them to want it to do much exactly for that price point.. Other than maybe give them a tan line on their wrist ;)

I might buy a $30 smart watch for my 9 year old grand daughter ;)  But I don't see how such a cheaply price point device could actually perform at a level anyone other than a kid would be happy with ;)  And they will prob get bored with it in a few months anyway, so if its only works for 6 months not a big issue, hehehe

What do you want your smart watch to do exactly.. And then we could discuss options.. But unless you want it only to tell time, and put up some sort of number that is suppose to be how many steps you took that day.. Neither having to be all that accurate.. I find it unlikely a $30-40 device will do what your looking for.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, illumination said:

I bought cheap smart watches for my wife and myself from wish.com. Worked reasonably (had intermittent issues) well with our iPhones for about 6 months when they both stopped working. I also bought a cheap camera for my daughter that lasted about a year before packing up. They get the costs down by using cheap components and they are badly made. You'll just end up wasting your money in the long run. I'd rather save up for a more expensive item that will last more than a year.

yeah i actually buy a lot of things from wish.com, never any electronics though.

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

^Exactly... Not all "smart watch" created equal that is for sure.  I can not expect them to want it to do much exactly for that price point.. Other than maybe give them a tan line on their wrist ;)

I might buy a $30 smart watch for my 9 year old grand daughter ;)  But I don't see how such a cheaply price point device could actually perform at a level anyone other than a kid would be happy with ;)  And they will prob get bored with it in a few months anyway, so if its only works for 6 months not a big issue, hehehe

What do you want your smart watch to do exactly.. And then we could discuss options.. But unless you want it only to tell time, and put up some sort of number that is suppose to be how many steps you took that day.. Neither having to be all that accurate.. I find it unlikely a $30-40 device will do what your looking for.

really just that, They have made a no cell phone policy at my work now, SO just telling the time, maybe a few apps, but nothing too crazy. I cant have a camera. SO maybe looking as text messages if i get any. They have some on that tophatter site as well that are super inexpensive. I realize that you get what you pay for but buying an iWatch for hundreds of dollars is simply out of the question.  The radiance a3 watch is the one that keeps popping up on my facebook feeds, I'm going to try and find a review on it.

im watching a video now that some guy made that bought one, Its basically a giant piece of crap, the dial doesn't turn at all, and its all plastic crap. just basically a scam, but it does work, Oh well. I guess i found out what i wanted to know.

if you have no cell phone policy, where is your cell phone at?  You think your smart watch will have blue tooth connectivity while your working to your cell phone in a locker?

And if you get a expensive device like iwatch that can do cell on its own - then wouldn't that be violation of no cell phone policy.. If you just want something to tell the time.. Pick up old school watch for a few bucks.. Sure you can pick up a watch that will work at say walmart for less than 20$

Is the issue with no cell phone all about the camera?  If so then yeah drop a few bucks on actual real iwatch that can do cell on its own for texting, and even voice but no camera.

42 minutes ago, AOXOMOXOA said:

really just that, They have made a no cell phone policy at my work now, SO just telling the time, maybe a few apps, but nothing too crazy. I cant have a camera. SO maybe looking as text messages if i get any. They have some on that tophatter site as well that are super inexpensive. I realize that you get what you pay for but buying an iWatch for hundreds of dollars is simply out of the question.  The radiance a3 watch is the one that keeps popping up on my facebook feeds, I'm going to try and find a review on it.

So sounds like you need something to send texts from a smart watch.  I would have recommended the Huami Amazfit Bip since it got decent reviews and is around $80. But that looks like the Huami Amazfit Bip just receives notifications that you have a message and you still need to use your phone to view them.  To get a watch that allows you to send/read messages is probably going to cost $150 or more.  I may be wrong but I do not think the super cheap watches have the send/read text capability.

Lots of bad info on XDA on the radiance a3 .  Some calling it a scam or getting a diff model.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/gear-s3/radiance-a3-frontier-smartwatch-t3818513

You also may want to see if you can get a used/refurbed watch as those prices are lower than a brand new one.

The cheaper watches that can view your text on - they would have to have bluetooth connection.. Which if place of work has no cell phone policy - I would have to bet they have to leave then some locker room or something.. So I doubt those would work.. Sounds more like he needs something that can actually do cell on its own, but no camera - those are not going to be cheap no.

I get text on my fitbit, ionic.. But can not answer - and it has to be tied via bluetooth to my phone.. So while it works in the house for example - I doubt range would be good enough for place of work.. And then again ionic is in the 200$ range.  And can not answer text, and can not even see pictures.. It only really good at letting me know someone is calling if say left my phone on vibrate and in the other room sort of thing.

Just now, BudMan said:

The cheaper watches that can view your text on - they would have to have bluetooth connection.. Which if place of work has no cell phone policy - I would have to bet they have to leave then some locker room or something.. So I doubt those would work.. Sounds more like he needs something that can actually do cell on its own, but no camera - those are not going to be cheap no.

No cell policy may be because of the camera that all cells have.   But text and other things may be allowed.  OP was not to clear on that.

Yeah could be.. So he is going to need the range and to talk to his phone via bluetooth, or do cell itself..

Just now, BudMan said:

Yeah could be.. So he is going to need the range and to talk to his phone via bluetooth, or do cell itself..

Sounds like it.  There are some LTE watches out there or watches that operate without a cell...but prob above his price point.  Could always just use an internet based devices and something like Google Voice, to send/receive texts.

Well Amazon (who I work for) has a no cell phone policy, except for the managers, and we have to keep them in our lockers or car, we can not bring them on to the floor, so if that is what the policy is, a bluetooth watch is not going to work!

7 hours ago, BudMan said:

Unless its some really long range bluetooth ;)  Or your locker/car is really really close - hehehe

The fulfillment center I work at is 1.5 million sq ft, so good luck on getting your bluetooth to work!