• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Old TV cabinet question

Bruinator    35

Are old TV cabinets similar to this https://imgur.com/bANDwqt  

made of MDF? IF so, I gave it a light sanding and then painted it black. The results were not what I expected. I used sandpaper grit of 180, I believe. The question I have is do I need to give it a few coats of paint or should I sand it again using a more coarser grit and then paint it again? I would appreciate some opinions on this.  Thx

Edited by Bruinator

Nick H.    9,841
23 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

The results were not what I expected.

What were you expecting, how does it currently look? A picture of the current result would be helpful.

• Like 1

+Zag L.    708

Those old cabinets were usually real wood. Maybe not the best wood, but wood.  I'm not sure how you removed the original finish. Usually a stripping agent is  used followed by a fine sanding before a refinish. 180 grit is a rather course grit and without moving down to a finer grit would result in a poor finish.  I think we need a lot more info on what you had to start with and what exactly you did. 

As for the cabinet itself, removing the electronics and tube prior to stripping the original finish should have answered the question as to the material type. 

Bruinator    35
27 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

What were you expecting, how does it currently look? A picture of the current result would be helpful.

Some places look good put some places I still see light streaks of the older color. I used a paint brush. Should I try using a roller with a thicker nap to see what happens or would you recommend a slight sanding, prime it and then paint it? Would I be better of using a flat spray paint? Opinions are welcomed.

+Zag L.    708

Well, you should have completely stripped (or at least sanded) off the old finish. Wanting to paint that seems wasteful but it is your cabinet. That said, I'd have never used a brush to 'paint' it and I certainly wouldn't have used a roller! I'd have primed it then sprayed it with light sanding between coats. At this point, without pics, I don't know what more anyone could contribute. Usually the thicker the paint, the worse the item looks so its up to you. 

Bruinator    35

No new responses huh?

Bruinator    35

Ok, this is what I ended up doing. I sanded it completely all over, brushed out the dust, gave it a slight wet/soap washing, let it dry a 1/2  hour,then I put 2 cans of BIN primer on it and will let it sit over night. Will that suffice for now and then give it a coat of flat black paint using small nap roller or am I missing something before I paint it? Any help is appreciated.

thx