• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Athlon 500MHz, I just can't let it go

nhjay    20
On 9/12/2019 at 1:31 PM, Eternal Tempest said:

Windows ME, actually serious.

When dealing with legacy OS's with VMs, if you need any patches / updates, Windows ME has most of the 9x baked in.

An alt would be Windows 2000?

If you search the web, you can find out how to make it keyless.

I ended up putting 2000 pro on it. I still have a cd-r with a valid product key for the OS, so it made things easy. 

• Like 1

Brandon H    3,046
4 minutes ago, nhjay said:

I ended up putting 2000 pro on it. I still have a cd-r with a valid product key for the OS, so it made things easy. 

now that it's up and running again do you have any plans for it? Is it going to be a legacy gaming box or maybe a print/file server or just something to mess around with for nostalgia sake? :)

+InsaneNutter    1,347

Must admit I still have our family's first PC, its been upgraded beyond recognition from a Pentium 2 @ 300mhz.

The motherboard in it failed and got replace with one that supported a Slot 2 processor, along with a Socket 370 processor, allowing me to upgrade the rest of the machine quite a bit.

I believe its currently has:

• 900mhz Celeron processor
  • 512mb ram
  • 20gb hard drive
  • Geforce MX 440 GPU
  • Sound Blaster AWE32 sound card
  • 56k modem
  • 100mbps network card

This runs Windows XP pretty well, although I must admit i've not powered it up for years now.

I last used it to flash the nand on my Xbox 360 as it has a Parallel port that supports SPP mode, something that appeared to be a bit of a rarity at the time.

You've made me want to get it out again and maybe install Windows 98 to create a DOS / Win 9x gaming machine, not that I really play many games these days.

• Like 1

nhjay    20
13 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

now that it's up and running again do you have any plans for it? Is it going to be a legacy gaming box or maybe a print/file server or just something to mess around with for nostalgia sake? :)

I'm currently planning a combo of legacy gaming box, that is around for nostalgia sake. 
The G400 is a bit flakey, so I may actually have to see if I can track down some other AGP card. I haven't owned any others in quite a long time.

• Like 1

+Elliot B.    1,547
On 9/10/2019 at 4:52 AM, The Dark Knight said:

As long as it works, and you have a use case for it, use it! I have a 12 year old AMD Athlon 64 X2 based PC that I'm using as my Media Server. It's mostly on Sleep mode, until a Kodi instance on the network wakes it up. :)

Is that possible with a Windows 10-based Intel Xeon-based PC running Plex Media Server?

Is it a form of Wake-on-LAN?

redvamp128    321

Why not ReactOs ?   https://reactos.org/

The Dark Knight    267
31 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Is that possible with a Windows 10-based Intel Xeon-based PC running Plex Media Server?

Is it a form of Wake-on-LAN?

Yes, it is Wake-On-LAN. Kodi just sends a WoL packet to the machine. As long as the NIC supports WoL, it should work. And I think pretty much all of them do, unless they are really cheap and or old.