What is the best environment to work with ESP32 projects: IDE-suggestion for ESP 32?

Question

dear experts,

What is the best environment to work with ESP32 projects: IDE-suggestion for ESP 32?  I’ve been playing with micropython on the esp8266 and esp32 platform and the lack of a decent IDE will be a blocker for a lot of people. so i look forward to see any tips or suggestions to upload MicroPython code successfully?

what i have used is the following: 

- uPyCraft and 
- Thonny IDE’s to upload the usual two files to various ESP32 boards.

These IDE’s are quite nice  and I’d prefer to do all this within the one Visual Code IDE.

what about: 

- ATOM 
- Arduino-IDE p

so the question is: Is there any recommended and specific platforms that are best suited for ESP32 development? I use Linux -and i guess that there are quite a few  IDE that will work with Linux together.

What would you advise?

any suggestions !?

1 answer to this question

note - i have seen an intersting article that suggests to work with vscode with micropython...

Quoting the official MicroPython's website:

https://lemariva.com/blog/2018/12/micropython-visual-studio-code-as-ide

MicroPython is a lean and efficient implementation of the Python 3 programming language that includes a small subset of the Python standard library and is optimised to run on microcontrollers and in constrained environments. Besides C++ and C, I use MicroPython to program microcontrollers, especially the ESP32/ESP8266 types. These two microcontrollers are compatible with MicroPython and it is easy to integrate sensors and actors programming using this language. I wrote a tutorial about installing MicroPython on the ESPs, as well a lot of articles about these microcontrollers and MicroPython. This is an update to the "Getting started with MicroPython": I am changing from Atom to Visual Studio Code (VSCode), and using the PyMakr extension, it is possible to program and debug MicroPython on VSCode.

https://lemariva.com/blog/2018/12/micropython-visual-studio-code-as-ide

Visual Studio Code

The open-source VSCode is a code editor redefined and optimized for building and debugging applications. It is compatible with Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. “The majority of Google developers are using it now,” Chris Capossela, Microsoft’s chief marketing officer, said on the Windows Weekly podcast. :)

To use VSCode for MicroPython, you need to install the Pymakr extension (see Fig. 1).

This extension enables VSCode to communicate to a board running MicroPython using the build-in command line REPL. Thus, you can run a single file on my board, sync your entire project or directly type and execute commands using the Terminal on VSCode.

However, you'll miss some of the main features of VSCode, namely intellisense, autocompletion, and linting capabilities. You can combine this extension with the micropy-cli Python module to get those features. You can find more information in this tutorial.