Only Windows or Mac.

• Facepalm 2
Vince800

For me it's:

1. Windows 10

2. Windows Vista

3. Windows 8.0

4. Windows 2K

I don't really rank the versions prior to these, they weren't that great IMO, though I never really had any issues with ME and it had some nice improvements over 98SE, but 2K was obviously far superior. The first OS I used was Digital Research DOS & GUI OS would have been Gem/2.

I know you said Windows\Mac but here's Linux because why not:

1. Slackware

2. openSUSE

3. Kubuntu

4. Arch

• Like 1
Coater4

10th place is: Win 10.

5 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

For me it's:

1. Windows 10

2. Windows Vista

3. Windows 8.0

4. Windows 2K

I don't really rank the versions prior to these, they weren't that great IMO, though I never really had any issues with ME and it had some nice improvements over 98SE, but 2K was obviously far superior. The first OS I used was Digital Research DOS & GUI OS would have been Gem/2.

I know you said Windows\Mac but here's Linux because why not:

1. Slackware

2. openSUSE

3. Kubuntu

4. Arch

No *inux!

• Facepalm 2
Athlonite

1: Windows 10

2: Windows 8.1

3: Windows 7 Ultamate

4: Windows 98 SE 

5: Windows 3.11 + DOS 6.22 

Coater4
2 minutes ago, Athlonite said:

1: Windows 10

2: Windows 8.1

3: Windows 7 Ultamate

4: Windows 98 SE 

5: Windows 3.11 + DOS 6.22 

Windows 10 #1

8 minutes ago, Coater4 said:

No *inux!

• Facepalm 2
MS Bob 10

Just Windows, as it came, without third party apps to fix it, from best to worth, as per my own eXPerience, ever since the Explorer shell was introduced and relative to its time and what was available/possible back then:

1. Windows XP
2. Windows 2000
3. Windows 7
4. Windows Me
5. Windows 98/98 SE
6. Windows 95/OSR2/C
7. Windows 8.1/8
8. Windows Vista
9. Windows NT 4.0
10. Windows 10

But if I consider Windows + third party apps to fix it, and relative to today:

1. Windows 8.1/8 (unquestionably with some Start menu)
2. Windows 7
3. Windows 10
4. Windows XP
5. Windows Vista

6. Windows 2000
7. Windows Me

8. Windows 98/98 SE
9. Windows 95/OSR2/C

10. Windows NT 4.0

Edited by Microsoft BOB™ 10
Coater4
3 minutes ago, Microsoft BOB™ 10 said:

Just Windows, as it came, without third party apps to fix it, from best to worth, as per my own eXPerience, ever since the Explorer shell was introduced and relative to its time and what was available/possible back then:

1. Windows 10
2. Windows 2000
3. Windows 7
4. Windows Me
5. Windows 98/98 SE
6. Windows 95/OSR2/C
7. Windows 8.1/8
8. Windows Vista
9. Windows  3.1
10. Windows NT 4.0

But if I consider Windows + third party apps to fix it, and overall what it does today/total value until now:

1. Windows 8.1/8 (unquestionably with some Start menu)
2. Windows 7
3. Windows 10
4. Windows Vista
5. Windows XP

6. Windows 2000
7. Windows Me

8. Windows 98/98 SE
9. Windows 95/OSR2/C

10. Windows NT 4.0

First one official.

fusi0n

Not a huge fan of you private messaging me and calling me names. If you can't take a little playful fun, then you need to find somewhere to play around. 

image.thumb.png.2d9f41f26614f657a798a18c61a7f3cf.png

• Like 4
+Raphaël G.
1 hour ago, fusi0n said:

Not a huge fan of you private messaging me and calling me names. If you can't take a little playful fun, then you need to find somewhere to play around. 

image.thumb.png.2d9f41f26614f657a798a18c61a7f3cf.png

Strange, it doesn't suck that much over here...

What's meant by ranking? Am I that old that I don't understand it? Is it meant that i should order my OS's from best to worst? In that case:

1. Ubuntu

2. Windows 2000

3. Windows XP

4. Windows 7

5. Windows 8

100. Windows 10

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
fusi0n
29 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

What's meant by ranking? Am I that old that I don't understand it? Is it meant that i should order my OS's from best to worst? In that case:

1. Ubuntu

2. Windows 2000

3. Windows XP

4. Windows 7

5. Windows 8

100. Windows 10

image.thumb.png.0e7d26f9c9d07029c62e33f9729da436.png

• Like 1
adrynalyne

1. Arch

2. Manjaro

3. Fedora

4. Ubuntu

5. Windows 10

6. Windows 2000

7. Windows XP

8. Windows Vista

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Matthew S.

1. Linux From Scratch (though this could be a 10 at times too)

2. macOS 10.14.x

3. Windows 10 1809

4. CentOS 7

5. Windows 7

6. Ubuntu

7. Windows Vista

8. Red Hat / Fedora

9. Windows 95

10. Windows XP (I've had more BSOD's and random ###### happen on XP than any other Windows OS)

Athlonite
On 9/29/2019 at 5:46 AM, Coater4 said:

Windows 10 #1

Yup I've had less problems in 10 than any other OS I've used so far this includes any nix flavours I've tried (which includes Mandrake, Suse, Ubuntu, Mint) so yes windows 10 for me is the better OS of them all so far 

• Thanks 1
+warwagon

1) Windows 2000

2) Windows 7

3) Windows 10

4) Windows XP

5) Windows Vista

6) Windows 98 <--- My first computer had that Gateway PII 333 ... then upgraded to 98SE

3) Windows 95 <--- I remember when we ran the update disk on our Gateway p5 60. I remember saving a file on the computer at the public library as gibberish (3434u3o4piuefopasfadf) just to see how long I could make it. Then it showed up in the recent folder .. I was like... oh noe!

8  ) Windows 3.11

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Coater4
On 9/28/2019 at 6:09 PM, Raphaël G. said:

1. Ubuntu

2. Windows 2000

3. Windows XP

4. Windows 7

5. Windows 8

100. Windows 10

*gasps* how would you monster! Why do you hate this?

Screenshot 2019-09-22 at 8.51.58 PM.png

Coater4
On 9/28/2019 at 7:20 PM, adrynalyne said:

1. Arch

2. Manjaro

3. Fedora

4. Ubuntu

5. Windows 10

6. Windows 2000

7. Windows XP

8. Windows Vista

What is wrong with you! 1-4

• Facepalm 1
+Dick Montage

What even is this? What's being asked? What do you mean "Rank your OSs"? Why?

Based upon what?

Coater4
On 9/28/2019 at 11:55 AM, fusi0n said:

1337/10

image.thumb.png.35c3104fb43e653cd487c3f8942f490f.png

again to not heras, its just a terminal

3 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

What even is this? What's being asked? What do you mean "Rank your OSs"? Why?

Based upon what?

Show your inner windows, Please?

• Facepalm 1
Nick H.

I'm not sure I can rank an OS. I work with what I have. Which at the moment is Windows 10 at the office, Linux Mint and Windows 10 at home. 

• Thanks 1
Coater4
10 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'm not sure I can rank an OS. I work with what I have. Which at the moment is Windows 10 at the office, Linux Mint and Windows 10 at home. 

I hat linux! but i have android becuase why not.

• Facepalm 1
Nick H.
2 minutes ago, Coater4 said:

I hat linux! but i have android becuase why not.

Well this is a productive discussion...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Matthew S.

This is starting to remind me of the script kiddie days...

• Thanks 2
+Dick Montage
1 hour ago, Coater4 said:

Show your inner windows, Please?

Why?  My inner windows?  I have a mezzanine level that has a glass pane looking down upon my hallway - does that count?

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nero C
      Windows Terminal to gain Settings UI in the next version
      by Nero Cui

Microsoft released Windows Terminal in 2019 replacing the default Windows Console that PowerShell and CMD use by default. The new terminal program contains many features that command-line users have been asking for years like tabs, profiles, and modern text rendering. Although the JSON based settings allow users to customize the app, many users have asked for a GUI page (Graphic User Interface) for the settings menu because editing JSON, while flexible, is very hard.

Today, a program manager (Kayla Cinnamon) from Microsoft teased on Twitter that Settings GUI is coming in the next preview version of Windows Terminal. From the GIF, we can see that the Settings page opens in one of the tabs just like how a new terminal tab would. The design seems to be following the Windows 10 Settings app, featuring a sidebar on the left and a detailed page on the right.

Users who wish to manually edit the Settings JSON file still have the option to do so according to the GIF, but GUI is a nice feature for most users who just want to quickly launch and change some settings. The sidebar suggests that users will be able to customize areas of the app and each of the profiles.

This new feature will soon come to a Windows Terminal Preview release. More information is available through Windows Terminal's GitHub page.

Source: Twitter

• By Nero C
      Microsoft doubles down on Win32
      by Nero Cui

Microsoft has been trying to modernize Windows and its development platform for a decade now. With Windows 8's Metro UI, Windows RT, Windows 10's UWP, Project Reunion and Windows 10X, Microsoft are trying their best to convince users and developers to move to a modern platform, but it apparently doesn't mean the end of Win32 as the company had just released a major capability to make it easier to consume Win32 APIs in programming languages other than C or C++.

According to the blog post, Win32 APIs used to be only available to C and C++ developers, and programs developed in other languages needed to go through an error-prone wrapping or binding process. This process used to be done by the developers and it would only benefit the single language that the developers target. Moreover, the huge number of Win32 APIs available also doesn't make this process easier.

To make consuming Win32 APIs easier in languages other than C or C++, Microsoft released new tooling called win32metadata. As stated by Microsoft:

According to Microsoft, developers can use win32metadata to generate wrappers to Win32 APIs making the process much easier and less error-prone than manually writing every single one of them. Following this effort, the C# wrapper library C#/Win32 by Andrew Arnott and Rust wrapper library windows-rs by Microsoft are utilizing win32metadata to make Win32 APIs available in these two languages.

Microsoft is hoping, with this tool, more languages will be able to make use of Win32 APIs. More information can be found on the project's GitHub page.

Source: Windows Blog

• By Abhay V
      A near-final build of Windows 10X has leaked to the web
      by Abhay Venkatesh

A near-final build of Windows 10X has leaked on to the web, giving those interested in going through the tricky process of installing it a glimpse at Microsoft’s latest OS – a competitor to Google’s lightweight Chrome OS. The initial release is expected to be aimed only at single screened PCs and is reportedly set to launch this spring.

Windows 10X was first showed off back in October 2019 and was aimed at dual-screened devices like the Surface Neo. However, with the Neo delayed indefinitely, the Redmond giant repurposed the OS for single-screened devices. Additionally, while the OS was expected to debut with support for Win32 apps through a virtualization technology called VAIL, those plans reportedly changed, making Windows 10X an offering slated to debut on low-end devices due to its lightweight nature.

Microsoft is supposedly planning to add Win32 app support in the future and the OS is not expected to arrive on new form factors – such as dual-screened devices – till at least 2022. A report from The Verge suggests that the leaked build contains support for Win32 apps in a developer-only mode which cannot be accessed by general users. For now, the offering runs UWP apps from the Microsoft Store and Progressive Web Apps through the Chromium-based Edge browser.

With the development of the company’s lightweight OS now nearing completion, it will be interesting to see when the firm plans to unveil the offering officially. Rumors are making the rounds that the launch will be one without much fanfare. OEM partners are also expected to unveil low-power PCs running Windows 10X aimed at the education market and the like in the coming months.

Considering the risks and complexities associated with installing leaked builds, we will not be posting links to any resources for the build. Additionally, we always urge users to exercise caution and not install these builds on their main machines.

• By Abhay V
      New report details the possible changes coming with Windows 10's Sun Valley update
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft is said to be working on a major overhaul for Windows 10 due for release in the second half of this year. A recent job listing was also spotted that hinted at a “sweeping visual rejuvenation of Windows”, providing credence to reports about the revamp. While glimpses of what the upcoming designs might look like were provided by the updated Alarms & Clock app and the latest News and interests section in the Insider builds, that’s all there is to work with, currently.

Now, a new report from Windows Central’s Zac Bowden sheds light on the possible changes coming to Windows 10. The information comes from sources close to the Redmond firm’s plans, based on which the publication has also created a few mockups. Changes and refreshes are expected to be made to the Start Menu, taskbar, Action Center, in-box apps, and more, along with new OS features.

Windows 10X Action Center mockup | Image credit: Windows Central As reported earlier, the focus is expected to bring about a consistent user interface for the various parts of the OS, including consistent design elements such as rounded corners – something that some apps like Calculator have already begun receiving. The firm is also reportedly aiming to simplify the taskbar design by moving icons into a redesigned Action Center – a component that might be shared with Windows 10X. The Action Center is said to sport individual sections for media, notifications, and quick settings.

Windows 10 Sun Valley Start Menu mockup | Image credit: Windows Central Unsurprisingly, the Start Menu too will feature rounded corners and an updated design. Bowden speculates that the firm might offer users the option to switch between live tiles and a simplistic menu – like the one expected to debut with Windows 10X. The Start Menu, Action Center, and context menus on the taskbar – such as the Jump Lists might hover over the taskbar and could be “visually separated”. The OS is also said to bring some new animations for a more fluid experience.

As for OS features, the company is reportedly planning to bring improvements to Settings in the way of a new battery usage chart – akin to what is present in mobile OSes – that provides granular power consumption information. Multitasking abilities are also said to be getting a few new features, with Snap Assist gaining the ability to let users snap two Edge tabs side-by-side and improvements to scaling when moving across different displays. There also could be a new “dashboard” feature in the Task View area that displays users’ account summary and calendar information.

Windows 10 Sun Valley Snap Assist mockup | Image credit: Windows Central Other enhancements reportedly in the works include improvements to voice and pen input capabilities, a new “gesture layer” aimed at making touch-based navigation easier by introducing trackpad-like gestures to navigate through the OS, and the ability to allow users to uninstall many in-box apps – a feature aimed at “power users”.

Microsoft is expected to start testing Sun Valley bits with Windows Insiders in the next few weeks. The firm is reportedly planning to sign off the final build sometime in June, with a public release expected to happen in October. It will be interesting to see how this update shapes up. As with all rumors and internal reports, plans could change at any time and the company could decide to delay any of the reported features if they are not ready in time.

Source: Windows Central

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases Edge Dev 89.0.760.0 with Password Monitor for Mac users
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft has released the second Edge Dev build for this year, bringing version 89.0.760.0 to users in the Dev channel. Today’s build adds a few new features, chief of which is the Password Monitor feature for macOS users. While the feature has been available to Insiders on Windows for a while now, it is being enabled for Mac users with this build. As a reminder, the firm added support for Apple Silicon Macs with last week’s build.

In addition to the password monitor, there are a few other minor additions relating to management and update policies. Here is the complete list of features added with today’s release:

As usual, the update also brings with it a bunch of reliability improvements. Here is the complete list of fixes:

And here are all the fixes for changed behavior:

Lastly, there are a bunch of known issues with the update, some of which are being tracked for a past few releases. Here are all the known issues:

The browser should automatically be updated in the background for Dev users. However, you can also force-check for an update via Settings > About Microsoft Edge and pull the update manually.