• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows ranking

+Human.Online    8,553
26 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Well there is your problem! You are supposed to use it, not wear it. 

I'm just gonna leave this here...

RHEL-8.png

• Haha 3

adrynalyne    12,323
2 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

I'm just gonna leave this here...

RHEL-8.png

Well played sir. 

Jim K    13,683

Weird thread.

Windows 3.1 was an eye opener coming from the Adam Colecovision 

I will say that Windows '95 was my favorite with respect to a new install/upgrade (coming from 3.1)

XP was also nice at the time.

7 was my favorite with respect to long term use.  Rock solid and never had issues.

Can't beat Windows 10 though ... in 2019 for a Windows platform.

So ... if I had to rank in terms of memorable (for me) ...

1) 3.1

2) '95

3) 7

4) XP

5) 10

But ... in terms of performance, usability, etc., today ... in 2019

1) 10

2) 7 (until Jan '20)

3) Nothing else (screw 8 )

Yogurth    2,243

o1. Windows XP X64 (This is XP with Server 2003 codebase)

o2. Windows 2000

o3. Windows 7

o4. Deepin

o5. Windows 8.1 with StartisBack

o6. Windows 10

o7. Win 98

o8. Windows ME

o9. Windows 8

1o. Vista

+fusi0n    2,069
4 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

The only ones worth mentioning...

1)Windows 10 (mostly because it's the newest standard for Windows OS's)

2)Windows 7 (this is probably a safer bet for most people, but like all previous Windows, it's end of life is very soon (i.e. Jan 2020))

3)Windows XP (the first mainstream Microsoft OS that was stable)

4)Windows 2000 (basically the first stable OS from Microsoft the average person could use even though Windows XP is the first true stable OS from Microsoft targeted towards the average person)

that pretty much sums it up over the years as the rest are pretty much crap as Microsoft generally has a good/bad/good/bad OS pattern and that's held true from Windows 98 to date pretty much.

NOTE: I have used as old as Windows v3.11 which was in 1995, then in 1996 I got another computer which had Windows 95 etc etc.

p.s. but I currently use Linux Mint as of Jan 2019. it's like if this had a bit better software support and gaming support I could see this gaining a lot more users. but at the same time... it's nice that it's not too popular (only about 2% market share where as Windows is about 87% the last I checked on desktop/laptop) as it helps Linux stay off the radar and basically makes it more secure, if for nothing else... security through obscurity. people seem not to bother attacking Linux (on desktop/laptop) like they do with Windows which basically makes it more secure by default for the average person to browse the internet with it.

Check out Lutris for Linux. It works great. I play Madden 20, Need for Speed(s), and BF:V on it all the time.  Very easy to setup and I get just as good framerate than Windows. 

• Like 1

PeRTeX    1

Best to Worst

1. Windows XP SP3 - best version of Windows XP with patches and features backported from Windows Vista

2. Windows 2000 SP4 - last version without phone/online activation

3. Windows 7 SP1 - I consider this as the true 64bit version of Windows XP

4. Windows Vista SP2 - as stable as Windows 7 RTM but reputation was already tarnished

5. Windows 8.0 [with StartIsBack] - last version that has the same show desktop width as with Windows 7

6. Windows 8.1 [with StartIsBack+] - last version that users have full control over Windows updates

7. Windows 98 SE - refined Windows 95

8. Windows 95 - first GUI version

9. Windows ME - one of the shortest lifespan in 9x series

10. Windows 10 [with StartIsBack++] [all releases] - unreliable due to little to no control of Windows update [without using 3rd party software]

Edited by PeRTeX

adrynalyne    12,323
25 minutes ago, PeRTeX said:

Best to Worst

1. Windows XP SP3 - best version of Windows XP with patches and features backported from Windows Vista

2. Windows 2000 SP4 - last version without phone/online activation

3. Windows 7 SP1 - I consider this as the true 64bit version of Windows XP

4. Windows Vista SP2 - as stable as Windows 7 RTM but reputation was already tarnished

5. Windows 8.0 [with StartIsBack] - last version that has the same show desktop width as with Windows 7

6. Windows 8.1 [with StartIsBack+] - last version that users have full control over Windows updates

7. Windows 98 SE - refined Windows 95

8. Windows 95 - first GUI version

9. Windows ME - one of the shortest lifespan in 9x series

10. Windows 10 [with StartIsBack++] [all releases] - unreliable due to little to no control of Windows update [without using 3rd party software]

Regarding number 8, I’m sure you meant first GUI version you had used. 

PeRTeX    1
2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Regarding number 8, I’m sure you meant first GUI version you had used. 

What I meant to say is the first version of Windows that you do not have to boot MS-DOS first before getting access to the GUI.

Matthew S.    1,031
1 hour ago, PeRTeX said:

What I meant to say is the first version of Windows that you do not have to boot MS-DOS first before getting access to the GUI.

You technically didn't have to with 1-3.11 either... (autorun.inf ftw)

Jim K    13,683
1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

You technically didn't have to with 1-3.11 either... (autorun.inf ftw)

autoexec.bat  :)

• Like 1

Matthew S.    1,031

Heh, was close lol

Jim K    13,683

Those were the good days ... trying to get a CD drive to work by diving into config.sys and autoexec.bat ... hehe.

Now stuff just works when plugged in ... booooring.

Matthew S.    1,031

My first computer was a ZDS (dont know the  model) but we also had a ZDS SuperSport (actually tossed it when we moved, would have been worth alot of dough to a collector... was still working apart from the battery).

ThaCrip    610
On 10/14/2019 at 10:53 AM, fusi0n said:

Check out Lutris for Linux. It works great. I play Madden 20, Need for Speed(s), and BF:V on it all the time.  Very easy to setup and I get just as good framerate than Windows. 

I have used Wine and the only game I played through so far was Mafia II (I am sure the first Mafia will work fine to as I briefly loaded it up just to see if it would load and it seems okay to) as there is only a small amount of games I replay here and there which the Mafia series is one of a small amount.

basically I am looking for a way to play Mafia III on Linux as, apparently, it does not like Wine (it's basically unplayable and too dark etc) and even looking into Lutris, if I read stuff correctly, even that does not work (it might work better than standard Wine does though) as I think there is a skin on the characters issue with it where your main character's (and I think everyone else to(?)) skin color is completely black (basically does not draw the characters skin textures at all) which would be distracting.

+fusi0n    2,069
3 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

I have used Wine and the only game I played through so far was Mafia II (I am sure the first Mafia will work fine to as I briefly loaded it up just to see if it would load and it seems okay to) as there is only a small amount of games I replay here and there which the Mafia series is one of a small amount.

basically I am looking for a way to play Mafia III on Linux as, apparently, it does not like Wine (it's basically unplayable and too dark etc) and even looking into Lutris, if I read stuff correctly, even that does not work (it might work better than standard Wine does though) as I think there is a skin on the characters issue with it where your main character's (and I think everyone else to(?)) skin color is completely black (basically does not draw the characters skin textures at all) which would be distracting.

Some people have had good luck using Proton from Steam to get it to work. There seems to be an .exe file you can replace that will fix it. Also, DX9 Vulkan was just released and the reviews are too old to report on that. I bet it would great under that. 

Mafia IIhttps://www.protondb.com/app/50130

Mafia III https://www.protondb.com/app/360430

Are you playing the steam version? 

Looks like Proton added D9VK back in July,

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Proton-4.11-Released

I'd be happy to help you get it running smoothly :D Most games don't require any tweaking, this one seems it may need small tweaks, but should be good. Playing games with regular Wine won't be as good as Lutris or Proton as they will have the Vulkan layer built in and other tweaks / wine tricks you can use. Most games I play are 1:1 from their Windows version. I play Madden 20 60FPS which I keep locked there. I don't know how this game plays on Windows because when I got it, I already removed my Windows partition. Need for Speed, Overwatch, Classic WoW, BF4/BFV all work amazing without any tweaks. 

• Like 1