DisplayPort: bastard lovechild of VESA? Or just misunderstood by Microsoft, me?

DisplayPort is so crap on Windows. Not only does it immediately forget your program window positions if you have a multi-monitor setup (even with both screens running the same exact screen resolutions) meaning you have to sideload third party apps to attempt to keep the window positions for you like https://github.com/lukefor/persistentwindows 

I discovered today that upon each windows restart the sound is set defaulted to my secondary monitor. Both my Dell s2716dg and Philips 272SL (272s4lpjcb) have built in speakers and are both using DisplayPort, I disabled the speakers in the Sound Control Panel, but thanks to DP spec, they are hotplugged on and off with each Windows reboot.

What the hell?

So now I am forced to disable the non descriptive "High Definition Audio Device" that are my monitor's speakers.

SNAG-0006.png

Am I doing something wrong, is there a secret Windows setting I haven't found yet or do people just continually put up with non productive crap like this?

DisplayPort works flawlessly for me in any OS I’ve tried. I believe your issue lies within Windows. Have you tried resetting the Windows positions? 

Ive had this issue even with hdmi in the past. No idea what causes it.

You could always try something like this:

http://www.stefandidak.com/windows-layout-manager/

Could be Window's driver for the GFX card. You try the latest drivers for your card?

I never had a problem. OIf course, I am using Linux.

Hello,

To confirm that this is a DisplayPort issue, and not an issue with your video card, have you tried using different interfaces between the monitor and the video card, such as HDMI or DVI?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have the same issue with my two monitors connected via. DisplayPort. See here for a background.

I bought a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (link) for the right-hand display but it did not help.

The issue lies with DisplayPort and Windows.

When a DisplayPort monitor goes to sleep, I believe a connected system interprets it as "turned off" due to specification.

On the flip side, when this happens, Windows resets all active windows to the remaining "turned on" monitor and doesn't restore them when the first monitor is made active again. Frustrating to say the least.

7 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

I have the same issue with my two monitors connected via. DisplayPort. See here for a background.

I bought a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (link) for the right-hand display but it did not help.

The issue lies with DisplayPort and Windows.

When a DisplayPort monitor goes to sleep, I believe a connected system interprets it as "turned off" due to specification.

On the flip side, when this happens, Windows resets all active windows to the remaining "turned on" monitor and doesn't restore them when the first monitor is made active again. Frustrating to say the least.

Yeah exactly :/ this has been broken for as long as DP has existed.

4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

The issue I have is that my Gigabyte AD27QD needs to use DisplayPort for all its features (1440p, 144 Hz, FreeSync/G-Sync, HDR) :(

I couldn't use an active (could only use passive) adapter due to said features, also.

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Sounds like badly designed hardware, either the monitor or GPU. Windows is wrongly being told that the monitor has been disconnected when it hasn't, it's only been powered down.

24 minutes ago, n_K said:

Sounds like badly designed hardware, either the monitor or GPU. Windows is wrongly being told that the monitor has been disconnected when it hasn't, it's only been powered down.

It's part of the DisplayPort standard/specification.

Depending on your monitor, you may be able to use the on-screen menu to turn off the control signalling that informs the PC when the monitor is powered off/on

Just now, DaveLegg said:

Depending on your monitor, you may be able to use the on-screen menu to turn off the control signalling that informs the PC when the monitor is powered off/on

I only have an option for deep sleep on/off but that setting also prevents the screen from waking normally when the PC resumes from Sleep state, or from unlocking the PC.

6 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

I don't think I've spotted anything like this with my AD27QD :(

10 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

And I quote from https://glenwing.github.io/docs/DP-1.2.pdf

Page 311: "Hot Plug/Unplug Detection
One signal (HPD) is used by a device (an Upstream device) to detect that a Downstream port on the device has been connected to another device (the Downstream device). Implementation of HPD is optional for an embedded link configuration. At least a “trickle power” must be present both in the Upstream and Downstream devices for a Hot Plug event to be detected. Downstream devices must be ready for an AUX CH transaction whenever they assert (drive high) the HPD signal. Even in power saving mode(s) (see Section 5.2.5), a Downstream device that keeps its HPD signal asserted must be able to detect the presence of an AUX CH differential signal input. The Downstream device must exit the power saving mode within 1ms of the differential signal being detected."

Page 327: "Hot Plug/Unplug Detect Circuitry

The HPD signal is asserted by the DisplayPort Downstream device whenever the Downstream device is connected to either its main power supply or “trickle” power"

So yes, this is likely due to hardware NOT following the specs. Given that oneplus managed to sell a cable that clearly did not comply with USB certifications shows how easy it is to sell crap.

1 hour ago, Elliot B. said:

As I mentioned before, I never had this issue due to DP. I only have one monitor now at home, but I had three dell ultrasharps connected via DP before that and never saw the issue. 

This is a flaw in DisplayPort. But does your monitor not have an HDMI? Get a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Or get a DisplayPort to DVI-D/DVI-A/VGA + RCA analog cable. No issues if the monitor-side connector is not DisplayPort. HDMI audio receivers have another issue thought in that it needs to be kept alive otherwise the beginning sound is cut off. (https://www.google.com/search?q=HDMI+audio+cut+beginning - not a problem if using only for watching movies, music etc but Windows sounds get cut off at the beginning). Best is to get DisplayPort/miniDisplayPort to DVI-D and 3.5mm jack. Even if you have USB-C, you can get an interim adapter to avoid this monitor disconnected shite when it is simply turned off in software.

19 minutes ago, Microsoft BOB™ 10 said:

This is a flaw in DisplayPort. But does your monitor not have an HDMI? Get a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Or get a DisplayPort to DVI-D/DVI-A/VGA + RCA analog cable. No issues if the monitor-side connector is not DisplayPort. HDMI audio receivers have another issue thought in that it needs to be kept alive otherwise the beginning sound is cut off. (https://www.google.com/search?q=HDMI+audio+cut+beginning - not a problem if using only for watching movies, music etc but Windows sounds get cut off at the beginning). Best is to get DisplayPort/miniDisplayPort to DVI-D and 3.5mm jack. Even if you have USB-C, you can get an interim adapter to avoid this monitor disconnected shite when it is simply turned off in software.

It doesn’t happen to everyone, yet is a DP flaw? 🧐

I gave up a longtime ago using windows to manage multiple screens, display port or not. Window did improve over the years but we are very far from a good multi screens manager. Personally i'm using DisplayFusion.

Don't even try to figure it out. Just reformat your PC with a Windows base image from microsoft (Not your PC maker's image). You'll spend more time trying to figure it out than you would if you re-format your pc.

1 minute ago, jesseinsf said:

Don't even try to figure it out. Just reformat your PC with a Windows base image from microsoft (Not your PC maker's image). You'll spend more time trying to figure it out than you would if you re-format your pc.

Or you could use a display or layout manager and not use a sledge hammer for a fly. 

On 10/13/2019 at 5:13 PM, adrynalyne said:

It doesn’t happen to everyone, yet is a DP flaw? 🧐

Actually it could be a flaw in the monitors firmware as if it were "re-registering" with windows when it power cycles and windows sees it as a new device instead of an existing.

1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

Actually it could be a flaw in the monitors firmware as if it were "re-registering" with windows when it power cycles and windows sees it as a new device instead of an existing.

Oh I can believe it being a flaw in the monitor firmware. Just not a DP flaw. 

In a sense it is a flaw in both.  Technically HDMI has the same flaw if I'm not mistaken, though again it's dependent on the firmware of the device connected.