• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

DisplayPort: bastard lovechild of VESA? Or just misunderstood by Microsoft, me?

Steven P.    14,160
1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Im not calling anyone liars because they don’t have the issues you do. 🙃

Also, I never said it wasn’t a hardware, nor software issue. I said it wasn’t happening to me, and I also questioned it being a flaw in the standard. 

Chill dude 😛

adrynalyne    12,320
1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

Chill dude 😛

You too. ❤️

• Haha 1

jasondefaoite    357

Dual Dells, one a 4k and the other a 1440p. Both connected to a Quadro card, Windows 1903. Never had this issue.

Just tried again. Powered off one monitor, icons all move to the one powered on. Locked the PC. Powered back on the monitor which was previously off, logged in, icons are correctly displayed as I originally had them, split across both monitors.

Edit: Both connected via DP.

Edited by jasondefaoite

Matthew S.    1,026
3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Chill dude 😛

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

You too. ❤️

Your both pretty chill dudes, now shaddup with the rubbish.

Actually @Steven P.what applications do you have running in the background, there are some that sometimes keep my monitor from entering into power save mode when it's locked.  Actually seems to be anything that deals with video / animation that does it for me, if I leave discord open and on the "main screen" it prevents my system from auto locking and going to power save.

Also I've seen this issue before, but not with DP/HDMI, it was with VGA/DVI 😛 

• Haha 2

Steven P.    14,160
3 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

Your both pretty chill dudes, now shaddup with the rubbish.

Actually @Steven P.what applications do you have running in the background, there are some that sometimes keep my monitor from entering into power save mode when it's locked.  Actually seems to be anything that deals with video / animation that does it for me, if I leave discord open and on the "main screen" it prevents my system from auto locking and going to power save.

Also I've seen this issue before, but not with DP/HDMI, it was with VGA/DVI 😛 

:rofl: Yes it is powercfg /requests in the command prompt, but oftentimes it won't be anything at all.

Right now I am casting to my TV.

SNAG-0012.png

Jared-    577
On 10/19/2019 at 8:56 AM, adrynalyne said:

what a bunch of rubbish. Ok I’m done. 🤪

Riiiiiight. 

Soo you're telling me both my work setup and home setup which both have 3 x DisplayPort monitors, all the same models, doesn't remember my window positioning? Guess I must be imagining that Outlook opens on the far left one each time...

nekrosoft13    722

non-descriptive "High Definition Audio" device is a missing driver linked to video card.

I have 3 displayport monitors at work, and they work expactly the same as any HDMI display. nothing to do with displayport. 

Nerd Rage    531
On 10/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, adrynalyne said:

It doesn’t happen to everyone, yet is a DP flaw? 🧐

I have a 2 monitor setup, both DP connections from the graphics card to the monitors.  I've never had an issue with Windows 10 moving my windows around or messing with my audio devices.  Who knows.  🤷‍♂️

neufuse    3,846

you jinxed me Steve...

I had this happen to me on my two screen (Dell U2518's) setup at work... this morning.... had a bunch of windows open on both... turned them on in a different order and boom all on one side...

LostCat    1,315

Things worth noting:

There are multiple versions of Displayport

There is a firmware update for Displayport on NV 10 series cards

It is completely plausible for someone to have issues someone else isn't having, or monitors to have issues others don't have.

adrynalyne    12,320
1 hour ago, Jared- said:

Riiiiiight. 

Soo you're telling me both my work setup and home setup which both have 3 x DisplayPort monitors, all the same models, doesn't remember my window positioning? Guess I must be imagining that Outlook opens on the far left one each time...

Woosh. 

Steven P.    14,160

After some more searching online I have learned that displayport cables that have pin 20 enabled/connected can cause all sorts of GPU power related issues: http://monitorinsider.com/displayport/dp_pin20_controversy.html and:

I have no idea if my DP cables are like that, all I know is that I was refunded for a Club 3d DP cable (ordered from Amazon) because it was faulty and I ended up ordering a cheap replacement. It seems that a lot of these companies that make the cables don't always bother about proper spec, which is why some manufacturers now actually disclose if pin 20 is connected or not https://www.delock.com/produkt/82771/merkmale.html anyway to be on the safe side I ordered two.

SNAG-0002.png

I have no idea if this will solve my issue or not, but hopefully it will. It does make sense that power is still being transmitted somehow (with the backlight staying on) if pin 20 is connected and causing anomalies. 

So really, it is still the hardware companies dropping the ball. It feels exactly like how cheap LCD TVs are marketed as "LED" TVs, yes technically they are because it has a LED backlight :rolleyes:  but it isn't the €1500+ LED (OLED, QLED) type you thought it was.

• Like 1

+Elliot B.    1,571
57 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

After some more searching online I have learned that displayport cables that have pin 20 enabled/connected can cause all sorts of GPU power related issues: http://monitorinsider.com/displayport/dp_pin20_controversy.html and:

<snip>

I have no idea if my DP cables are like that, all I know is that I was refunded for a Club 3d DP cable (ordered from Amazon) because it was faulty and I ended up ordering a cheap replacement. It seems that a lot of these companies that make the cables don't always bother about proper spec, which is why some manufacturers now actually disclose if pin 20 is connected or not https://www.delock.com/produkt/82771/merkmale.html anyway to be on the safe side I ordered two.

<snip>

I have no idea if this will solve my issue or not, but hopefully it will. It does make sense that power is still being transmitted somehow (with the backlight staying on) if pin 20 is connected and causing anomalies. 

So really, it is still the hardware companies dropping the ball. It feels exactly like how cheap LCD TVs are marketed as "LED" TVs, yes technically they are because it has a LED backlight :rolleyes:  but it isn't the €1500+ LED (OLED, QLED) type you thought it was.

Let me know if it works.

Even if it does, I hope it would work with my 1440p144 HDR monitor :/

Steven P.    14,160
8 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Let me know if it works.

Even if it does, I hope it would work with my 1440p144 HDR monitor :/

A crap cable is going to possibly damage the GPU before it does anything with the screen. That's why I am not taking any chances with my new KFA2 RTX 2070 Super card 😛 The cables I ordered are 1.2 spec which is fine for that, mine is QHD (1440p) 144Hz GSync.

Steven P.    14,160

@Elliot B. I have connected the new cables and the backlight disabled properly when entering power save mode (locking my PC) since that also happened sometimes, but not always, it will require further testing.