• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Choosing a new RTX card, my experience

Peresvet    177
Posted (edited)

Hello!

I'm currently in the process of buying a new card. I'm going to be upgrading from a GTX 770, so, as you might have guessed, it's been a while since I've thoroughly researched the stuff last time.

Now that I have gathered some information, I'd like to share some of the details with you.

The cards being considered are RTX 2060/2070 and their Super versions. I still haven't made up my mind just yet.

When I first looked at the offerings, I was basically overwhelmed by the plethora of versions of the same card.

For simplicity's sake, let's talk about the RTX 2060. There are more than a dozen versions of the same card on sale out there. Which one should you choose? A small one with a single fan, or a wide form factor with three blades (considering there's enough room to house it in your PC case)? Do those base frequencies matter or not? 

From my research, the performance of these cards will be the same. The difference in performance will be marginal at best - plus or minus one percentage point. And that's a good thing; that NVIDIA has made sure that all the OEM cards based on the same chip, the RTX 2060, will perform the same. What matters is that the variance of these cards will come from their heat dispersion and noise levels. 

As a rule of thumb, a single-fan card will be noisier and run hotter compared to its double-fan sibling which, in its turn, will be noisier and hotter than a triple-fan card. Check out this video for reference. 

But that's not all.

When buying a new GPU, you want to be as future-proof as possible.

It turns out, all these cards will have different output port configurations. Some of them will have HDMIx1, DisplayPortx1, DVIx1, while the others will have DisplayPortx3, HDMIx1, no DVI, and still, there would be the others that may come with DisplayPortx1 and HDMIx2. Huge difference!

You have to decide what your future setup may look like. What it is that you're trying to achieve, to build.

Still, there's one more thing. And that is the presence or absence of a USB-C port. Again, I was quite confused to see a USB port on a graphics card. A quick Google search has told me that it's for VR connectivity and it's called VirtualLink. It's what it's been intended for. However, the folks at Eurogamer have run a bunch of tests on it and found out that you can practically use it for anything.

That would be all for now.

Sincerely yours,

Peresvet.

Edited by Peresvet

Mindovermaster    2,121

I recently (in January) upgraded my GFX 750Ti to an RX 580. I didn't want to go full force, but I wanted something gradually better.

What are you playing, and at what resolution? You want to play at Medium or Max?

Just my two cents...

Peresvet    177
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I recently (in January) upgraded my GFX 750Ti to an RX 580. I didn't want to go full force, but I wanted something gradually better.

What are you playing, and at what resolution? You want to play at Medium or Max?

Just my two cents...

The more sane part of me tells me that I shouldn't go full force either, that a GTX 1660 will suffice just fine, considering the games that I'm playing: WoW Classic, Overwatch.

My monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440. Some of the games I play like Diablo 3, WoW Classic run perfectly fine maxed out at this resolution.

However, I'd like to see a smoother experience on high settings in recent titles (Phoenix Point) and maybe try out some new shooters.

P.S. I really want to see what real-time ray tracing is like, so I definitely want an RTX2060 or a better card.

Edited by Peresvet

Daniel F.    584

More stuff on buying a new GPU.

no usb c (mainly for vr) on RTX 260 only 2070 and above. No SLI on 2060 either

for 1440p gaming you can use a 2060/super @ medium/high settings. For high frame rate 4k  and RTX on you will need a 2070-2080/super.

The point of getting an AIB board is for lower heat, noise, overclocking and RGB of course! Else a founders works fine & is cheaper.

If you want VR more hdmi ( and usb c/3) ports is better. If you want Gsync/freesync, 144+ mhz you need  1 Displayport for each monitor. 

• Like 2

Daniel F.    584

Also i push my RTX2060 'oc to 4k with custom setting (mainly high) on Borderlands 3 with 60 fps cap all day long @ 72"c

Peresvet    177

Here's my update!

I've ended up purchasing Gigabyte RTX 2060 SUPER WINDFORCE OC (GV-N206SWF2OC-8GD) and I'm awaiting the delivery tonight!

The price has been the decisive factor for me. It's the most affordable RTX 2060 Super variant in my neck of the woods.

It's not the most quiet board of the bunch, but I think can live with it. It's also lacking the VirtualLink port; however, as I'm not planning on purchasing a VR set in the near future, I should be fine.

Mindovermaster    2,121

Windforce, nice choice. :)

I have 2 cards with Windforce, keeps it extra cool. :D 

• Like 1

Peresvet    177
Posted (edited)

Here's some post-installation feedback.

Those reports that I'd read before about Gigabyte RTX 2060 SUPER WINDFORCE OC being noisy have turned out to be completely FALSE. Either that, or I'm lucky. Or, my case is super cool; which it isn't actually as it's placed close to the radiated heater.

The card is SILENT. It's not perfect. There was one time when it was gaining RPMs, it made a peculiar hissing sound, that made my cat quite curious about what was going on inside my PC case. Was kinda funny :)  

It is what it is; it's entirely what I would expect from ASUS/GIGABYTE/MSI branded cooler.

If it comes to worse, I can always put a Zalman or a Noctua on it.

Edited by Peresvet

Mindovermaster    2,121

It is supposed to speed up the fans when it is hot. Like playing high graphic games. When it is cool, it runs the fans quiet, or not at all. ;)