• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

"Intel" RAM? Going over 2133 MHz on AMD?

Cyber Akuma    1

I was confused when I was shopping for RAM and I saw modules listed as "for Intel". From my understanding, there is no such thing as RAM specifically designed for a specific CPU, modern RAM is RAM, it should work across Intel and AMD. 

And from what I understand, I am right.... mostly. The RAM itself is not CPU-specific and will run just fine.... however, that's up to the standard maximum DDR4 speed of 2133MHz, which is what things like XMP profiles are for. 

However.... seems that XMP profiles ARE actually an Intel patent, and AMD created an equivalent called AMP. Originally this wasn't an issue as I was planning an Intel build anyway, however, how now I am also looking at an AMD equivalent of the build and that can raise some concerns . 

THAT is what I am not sure about, if you can use XMP profiles with an AMD CPU, or if you need RAM that includes and AMP profile..... or if this even varies by the motherboard. I tried Googling using the RAM I choose with AMD, as well as using XMP on the motherboard I am looking at.... and results are mixed. I see people having issues with it understanding the profiles or boot looping... but I also see people having issues with "AMD" ram itself and that the board's UEFI/Bios is apparently a little confusing to navigate in that regard. This board: 

https://www.aorus.com/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10

Furthermore, the instruction manual is no help. It has a very small blurb about an XMP option only appearing if both the CPU and RAM support it, the screenshot of the config screen does not show this option appearing, and if XMP is an Intel-only thing then how could the AMD CPU support it, and why even mention that in the manual for an AMD board? 

I DID find a version of the RAM listed as "For AMD"... issue is, that it's an RGB version as they don't seem to have a non-RGB version listed as "for AMD", so it costs more: 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=20-232-752%2C20-232-413

To add further confusion, the specs page on G.Skill's own page for that "For AMD" RAM mentions "Intel XMP 2.0 (Extreme Memory Profile) Ready" and nothing about AMP.... despite "Ryzen" logos being plastered all over other places of the page for that model RAM...... 

Can anyone help clarify if XMP is something that AMD can handle just fine, if it's really motherboard-specific, or if I do need to get RAM that is "For AMD" to make sure it handles it's advertised speed of 3200 just fine instead of being stuck at 2133?

Mindovermaster    2,207
Posted (edited)

"Intel" RAM is a marketing scheme. There is even "AMD" RAM, too. Also, they have certain RAM for specific server models, too, "HP" or "DELL" RAM...

I'm not 100% sure what the XMP fiasco is. Wait for someone else to chirp up...

Jim K    13,496
34 minutes ago, Cyber Akuma said:

I was confused when I was shopping for RAM and I saw modules listed as "for Intel". From my understanding, there is no such thing as RAM specifically designed for a specific CPU, modern RAM is RAM, it should work across Intel and AMD. 

And from what I understand, I am right.... mostly. The RAM itself is not CPU-specific and will run just fine.... however, that's up to the standard maximum DDR4 speed of 2133MHz, which is what things like XMP profiles are for. 

However.... seems that XMP profiles ARE actually an Intel patent, and AMD created an equivalent called AMP. Originally this wasn't an issue as I was planning an Intel build anyway, however, how now I am also looking at an AMD equivalent of the build and that can raise some concerns . 

THAT is what I am not sure about, if you can use XMP profiles with an AMD CPU, or if you need RAM that includes and AMP profile..... or if this even varies by the motherboard. I tried Googling using the RAM I choose with AMD, as well as using XMP on the motherboard I am looking at.... and results are mixed. I see people having issues with it understanding the profiles or boot looping... but I also see people having issues with "AMD" ram itself and that the board's UEFI/Bios is apparently a little confusing to navigate in that regard. This board: 

https://www.aorus.com/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10

Furthermore, the instruction manual is no help. It has a very small blurb about an XMP option only appearing if both the CPU and RAM support it, the screenshot of the config screen does not show this option appearing, and if XMP is an Intel-only thing then how could the AMD CPU support it, and why even mention that in the manual for an AMD board? 

I DID find a version of the RAM listed as "For AMD"... issue is, that it's an RGB version as they don't seem to have a non-RGB version listed as "for AMD", so it costs more: 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=20-232-752%2C20-232-413

To add further confusion, the specs page on G.Skill's own page for that "For AMD" RAM mentions "Intel XMP 2.0 (Extreme Memory Profile) Ready" and nothing about AMP.... despite "Ryzen" logos being plastered all over other places of the page for that model RAM...... 

Can anyone help clarify if XMP is something that AMD can handle just fine, if it's really motherboard-specific, or if I do need to get RAM that is "For AMD" to make sure it handles it's advertised speed of 3200 just fine instead of being stuck at 2133?

Just a marketing ploy ... mostly.  With respect to the memory modules you linked to .... I'm willing to bet that they are the exact same aside from one having RGB.

According to the QVL at G.Skill the $150 module is compatible with your motherboard.

http://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/168/1536218236/F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW-Qvl

On Page 45 on the manual, regarding XMP, it states that "This item is present only when you install a CPU and a memory module that support this feature" ... the memory module is XMP and Ryzen supports XMP.

tl;dr ... you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Mockingbird    2,711

So, to answer your question, Intel developed XMP, but all modern AMD motherboards use XMP.

No modern AMD motherboard uses AMP.

• Like 1

Cyber Akuma    1

Very helpful, thanks.

Jim K    13,496
1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

So, to answer your question, Intel developed XMP, but all modern AMD motherboards use XMP.

No modern AMD motherboard uses AMP.

Hmm...not necessarily.  Gotta remember that XMP is just predefined overclocking configurations which are known to be stable.  Gigabyte made it easy by labeling it as XMP ... while other manufactures may call it something else.  For example, ASUS calls it D.O.C.P (Direct Over Clock Profile) ... 

Edit:  Also find it a bit odd ASUS makes no mention of XMP in their manual or website (with respect to AMD motherboards)...though they obviously support XMP.

• Like 1

xMorpheousx416    64

On the current AMD board I am using, the BIOS has XMP profiles.  

When I first installed the memory, I noticed that it did not default to the highest clock settings.  Once I turned the XMP profile setting to "on" as it were, the memory clock reset to it's maximum.  I don't overclock anything, so all the other timing settings are set to default, all I did was enable the XMP profile.  

It's also my understanding that the XMP profile would need to be enabled for any memory chips "OC" settings.  You see those listed with the memory.. ex:  1600/18000/2100 2300(OC).  To hit 2300, enable the profile.

Mindovermaster    2,207
34 minutes ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

On the current AMD board I am using, the BIOS has XMP profiles.  

When I first installed the memory, I noticed that it did not default to the highest clock settings.  Once I turned the XMP profile setting to "on" as it were, the memory clock reset to it's maximum.  I don't overclock anything, so all the other timing settings are set to default, all I did was enable the XMP profile.  

It's also my understanding that the XMP profile would need to be enabled for any memory chips "OC" settings.  You see those listed with the memory.. ex:  1600/18000/2100 2300(OC).  To hit 2300, enable the profile.

That happened to me, too. As I understand it, all "latest" RAM is set to, by default, at the lowest rate the motherboard has. But you can easily overclock it, like you said.

adrynalyne    12,174
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

"Intel" RAM is a marketing scheme. There is even "AMD" RAM, too. Also, they have certain RAM for specific server models, too, "HP" or "DELL" RAM...

I'm not 100% sure what the XMP fiasco is. Wait for someone else to chirp up...

It’s a marketing ploy to a degree, but it’s basically ram that has been tested to work with AMP vs XMP. But even then, it has to also be on the motherboard’s tested ram list to be a for sure thing. AMP and XMP are over clocking the ram. It’s never 100% sure it will work without issue or even at all. 

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    2,207
9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It’s a marketing ploy to a degree, but it’s basically ram that has been tested to work with AMP vs XMP. But even then, it has to also be on the motherboard’s tested ram list to be a for sure thing. AMP and XMP are over clocking the ram. It’s never 100% sure it will work without issue or even at all. 

Small world, aint it? 🙄

adrynalyne    12,174
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Small world, aint it? 🙄

This board is being goofy as hell today. Your reply was the last one in the thread when I replied and it was the first time visiting. I’m not in the habit of regurgitating what has already been posted, especially hours later. Not sure what’s up with 🙄, is there a problem here?

Mindovermaster    2,207
5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

This board is being goofy as hell today. Your reply was the last one in the thread when I replied and it was the first time visiting. I’m not in the habit of regurgitating what has already been posted, especially hours later. Not sure what’s up with 🙄, is there a problem here?

Settle down, dude. That was a sense of sarcasm... Wasn't pointing just at you. That was for this whole thread. The way each of us explained it.

LaP    2,148
Posted (edited)

You can use XMP profile on AMD CPU. Just use the DOCP setting (or whatever it's called) in the motherboard and if the ram is listed in the QVL of the MB it should select xmp profile and work properly.

Edited by LaP

LaP    2,148
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Hmm...not necessarily.  Gotta remember that XMP is just predefined overclocking configurations which are known to be stable.  Gigabyte made it easy by labeling it as XMP ... while other manufactures may call it something else.  For example, ASUS calls it D.O.C.P (Direct Over Clock Profile) ... 

Edit:  Also find it a bit odd ASUS makes no mention of XMP in their manual or website (with respect to AMD motherboards)...though they obviously support XMP.

I think they need to pay intel if they call it XMP. I may be wrong of course

LaP    2,148
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That happened to me, too. As I understand it, all "latest" RAM is set to, by default, at the lowest rate the motherboard has. But you can easily overclock it, like you said.

It's been this way on all MB i owned even on Intel. By default the MB select the standard profile for the CPU which is pretty much never XMP. For Ryzen 1st gen i think most MB will default to 2133 if you don't enable XMP/AMP/DOCP. The ram has been tested with XMP but this is not guaranteed to work on all MB.