China censors South Park following 'Band in China' episode

The makers of US TV comedy South Park have issued a mock apology to China after the show was made largely unavailable in the country.

In a recent episode, the character Randy is subjected to forced labour and Communist Party re-education after being jailed during a visit to China.

Most South Park episodes and reviews are now unavailable online in China.

"We welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and hearts," the apology said. "Long live the Communist Party!"

In "Band in China", Randy Marsh travels to China to try to expand his marijuana business.

He is arrested, sent to prison, and subjected to forced labour and re-education.

In one scene, Randy is seen standing in the rain while a guard gives him an electric shock.

"I am a proud member of the Communist Party," Randy then reads from a card. "The party is more important than the individual."

He then sees a guard shoot a prisoner in the head, before being sent to an overcrowded cell where he starts a conversation with Winnie the Pooh and Piglet.

In 2017, images of Winnie the Pooh were blocked in China because people compared him to the Chinese president, Xi Jinping.

Full story at source: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49971577

This is our world, our reality: censorship and displays of immaturity by leaders who are so weak minded they can't take a joke and end up throwing their toys out of the pram, lol.

BTW Neowin is also censored from China too, I have managed to get it unblocked a few times over the past nineteen years, but soon enough it is added again, because a post like this is enough.

I bet Matt and Trey are gutted by this decision. I mean, who could have seen it coming?

The funny thing about this though is that it does seem more like an act of childishness than anti-government censorship. And if you don't think that much of the World finds your use of censorship to be inhumane, you're going to be shocked what we think of you for censoring a joke.

4 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I bet Matt and Trey are gutted by this decision. I mean, who could have seen it coming?

The funny thing about this though is that it does seem more like an act of childishness than anti-government censorship. And if you don't think that much of the World finds your use of censorship to be inhumane, you're going to be shocked what we think of you for censoring a joke.

What annoys me is not the censorship; who gives a damn if your website isn't available in China? No, what annoys me is companies that capitulate to the Chinese government and retract whatever annoyed them and got you censored.  Stop that nonsense!  If China doesn't like what you've posted.. GOOD!

On 10/8/2019 at 12:07 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

What annoys me is not the censorship; who gives a damn if your website isn't available in China? No, what annoys me is companies that capitulate to the Chinese government and retract whatever annoyed them and got you censored.  Stop that nonsense!  If China doesn't like what you've posted.. GOOD!

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/04/the-worlds-biggest-economies-in-2018/

Most companies would rather play ball when they have to than not get loads of money.

11 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

So greed is OK when it comes to capitulating to bullies?  Whatever happened to morality?

Last I checked I don't own any companies so you're askin the wrong dude.

4 hours ago, LostCat said:

Last I checked I don't own any companies so you're askin the wrong dude.

Neither do I, but that doesn't stop me having an opinion on the issue.

Blizzard is spinless.

This is just like their "Don't you guys have phones" statement when saying the next Diablo would be mobile only in order to try to get the China game market.

People are now leaving Hearthstone over this boneheaded move.

In an attempt to access one market they should make sure they don't lose their current one.

9 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Neither do I, but that doesn't stop me having an opinion on the issue.

My opinion is ask a hundred people get a hundred different answers.

The issue isn't that important to me, any more than the US being idiots about every other thing is.

1 minute ago, LostCat said:

My opinion is ask a hundred people get a hundred different answers.

The issue isn't that important to me, any more than the US being idiots about every other thing is.

That is, of course, your right... But if no one speaks out against it, eventually your right to speak against anyone will be gone...

9 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

That is, of course, your right... But if no one speaks out against it, eventually your right to speak against anyone will be gone...

My speaking for or against anything that I have no power over is basically pissing in the wind.  International politics and corporate dealings are definitely among those.

If we could improve China by talking about it I'm sure it would've already happened.  As it stands, I don't understand their culture enough to know why they even do this crap.

And for companies it's likely dependent on how much you've already invested in another country, if all that could be taken away over nonsense like with Huawei you probably don't want to put that in jeopardy.

1 hour ago, LostCat said:

My speaking for or against anything that I have no power over is basically pissing in the wind.  International politics and corporate dealings are definitely among those.

If we could improve China by talking about it I'm sure it would've already happened.  As it stands, I don't understand their culture enough to know why they even do this crap.

And for companies it's likely dependent on how much you've already invested in another country, if all that could be taken away over nonsense like with Huawei you probably don't want to put that in jeopardy.

One voice may not be heard but many become a roar.

• Like 2

The scary thing is companies in the rest of the world censoring themselves and their customers (as the NBA has been doing) on behalf of China. This is what the integrated worldwide economy looks like.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

The scary thing is companies in the rest of the world censoring themselves and their customers (as the NBA has been doing) on behalf of China. This is what the integrated worldwide economy looks like.

It seems to me this could unite left and right, with these China brown-nosers ticking everyone off. NBA example example below.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/10/how-the-nba-censored-me-on-american-soil/

How the NBA censored me on American soil

I’ve been an NBA fanatic as long as I can remember. Growing up, I rooted for the Minnesota Timberwolves. I was there for the ups — who can forget that almost magical 2004 season? — and all of the downs, of which there have been far too many. I still follow the team closely today.

So as a fan of the league, I was shocked when I found myself being censored at an NBA exhibition game Wednesday night in Washington between the Washington Wizards and the Guangzhou Loong Lions. Now, I’m rethinking my allegiance to the league and wondering whether I should stop attending or even watching games altogether.

I decided to attend last night’s game after reading about an incident that took place at a Philadelphia 76ers game this week. In Philly, security guards ejected two spectators for displaying small signs with messages of support for Hong Kong’s pro-democracy dissidents.

It was an unsettling sight: One of America’s premier sports leagues, which constantly virtue-signals about its “values,” groveling to a totalitarian regime and censoring its own fans in the United States of America — in Philly, home of the Constitutional Convention and the Liberty Bell.
>

It also reminds me of edits made in the Top Gun sequel: Tom Cruz's jacket has the Taiwan and Japan emblems removed & replaced to please China. 

https://screenrant.com/top-gun-2-maverick-jacket-change-china/

Edited by DocM