• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

What will bailiff do?

Recommended Posts

Steven68    0

Hi,

 

What will a Jacobs bailiff do if I keep ignoring them for a £250 credit card debt?  When they knock, no answer, no reply, every single time?

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PsYcHoKiLLa    2,381

I think they would normally take you to court if they're unable to gain entrance although for £250 it's doubtful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daedroth    491

I believe that in the UK, baliffs cannot force entry into a property. If you grant them entry, they can then start valuing assets. Once they have noted enough assets to match the debt, they can get a court writ to retrieve those assets and you can't stop them or deny entry (as they can get assistance from the Police if necessary, because at that point it's a legality issued by the court).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,542
1 hour ago, Steven68 said:

Hi,

 

What will a Jacobs bailiff do if I keep ignoring them for a £250 credit card debt?  When they knock, no answer, no reply, every single time?

Pay your damned bills!!!  Grow up and take some responsibility.  They will eventually gain a court order to enter your property and take items to the value.

 

People who ignore their responsibilities and then ignore those who's job it is to recoup their debts are just scum who deserve nothing!

 

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spikey_richie    229
2 hours ago, Steven68 said:

Hi,

 

What will a Jacobs bailiff do if I keep ignoring them for a £250 credit card debt?  When they knock, no answer, no reply, every single time?

Yes, they're very perisstent. Have you never watched shows such as "Can't pay? We'll take it away" etc..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveLegg    1,008

Don't forget, every time they come back, they'll add the cost of their visit to the bill - much cheaper to pay up now than after a few visits

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riva    1,211
3 hours ago, Steven68 said:

Hi,

 

What will a Jacobs bailiff do if I keep ignoring them for a £250 credit card debt?  When they knock, no answer, no reply, every single time?

If they have a CCJ they can come over with the police and enter your premises, but not without your presence. If they dont have a CCJ they cant enter your house unless you let them do so. I dont see why you would want them to enter your house in this scenario.

Why dont you contact them and tell them what you can pay monthly instead? I had a friend who was in the blues over £5,000 debt and she was thinking of declaring bankrupt. I said the amount is silly, just phone everyone up, default your accounts and give them what you can. She told me she can only give £10 a month. I said then you should tell them that. In the end they accepted that.

If they refuse to come into an agreement with you, you can let them go to court and notify the judge that they refused to make a deal with you. This will backfire at them in no time.

Edited by Riva

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riva    1,211
2 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Pay your damned bills!!!  Grow up and take some responsibility.  They will eventually gain a court order to enter your property and take items to the value.

 

People who ignore their responsibilities and then ignore those who's job it is to recoup their debts are just scum who deserve nothing!

 

Even if the amount sounds small, it doesnt mean people are just being irresponsible. It could be that financial hardship has striken the OP. And the bullying culture used by the debt collectors usually just pushes people away. It might not be shouting in your face but things like mail spamming with letters that use a lot of red ink. Calling like 5 or 10 times a day. And yes someone coming to your door knocking and asking you pay them now. There have been a lot of cases in the UK were these visits were too confrontational and in the end the government had to enforce a license to operate so that they stay in line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,542
19 minutes ago, Riva said:

Even if the amount sounds small, it doesnt mean people are just being irresponsible.

Absolutely agreed.  But asking what happens if they ignore them suggests an irresponsible, childish and entitled attitude towards their financial responsibilities.  Such people should grow up, own it, deal with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riva    1,211
12 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Absolutely agreed.  But asking what happens if they ignore them suggests an irresponsible, childish and entitled attitude towards their financial responsibilities.  Such people should grow up, own it, deal with it.

Fair enough, I shouldnt power-read everything :D

 

I had my fair bit of money trouble about  a decade ago with the famous wonga. Their "irresponsible" lending options meant i borrowed more and more from more irresponsible lenders. And wonga was irresponsible because they were offering 1k loan to be repaid in one month, which kind of forced me to borrow from them again and again and again. I "ignored" that debt, it was hanging around in my credit rating file for years. In the end Wonga was forced to write it off and now they are offering me money as compensation.

My lesson was do not borrow to cover money trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,542
5 minutes ago, Riva said:

Fair enough, I shouldnt power-read everything :D

We read with context, it's inevitable.  From what you've written, it suggests that you know how to deal with such situations, as do I.  I'm not saying I've never had debt (owning multiple properties, I have mortgages, etc).  But unmanaged debt is something that you deal with by engaging with the people you owe, not be ignoring them - 99% of times they will accept a payment plan.

 

Ignored problems get worse, they don't go away - and rightly so.  I don't care how  you get into debt, it's a financial responsibility and if you deliberately ignore responsibilities then you should get all you deserve.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riva    1,211
3 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

We read with context, it's inevitable.  From what you've written, it suggests that you know how to deal with such situations, as do I.  I'm not saying I've never had debt (owning multiple properties, I have mortgages, etc).  But unmanaged debt is something that you deal with by engaging with the people you owe, not be ignoring them.

 

Ignored problems get worse, they don't go away.

Yup life lessons. As my 70 year old uncle says, I wish I knew what I know now when I was 20. He often accuses me for purchasing a luxry sports car and then he says "yeah when i was your age I was doing the same things".

Problem is financial issues make you feel trapped and you want to escape hence the "ignore it till it goes away reaction".

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sean B.    172
8 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Pay your damned bills!!!  Grow up and take some responsibility.  They will eventually gain a court order to enter your property and take items to the value.

 

People who ignore their responsibilities and then ignore those who's job it is to recoup their debts are just scum who deserve nothing!

 

What a harsh way to convey your opinion. There are circumstances that happen and people simply can no longer make those types of payments and need time to get back on their feet. You never know what someone is going through behind closed doors. Have some compassion and be a little more positive and you might actually help this person through these tough times. 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,542
3 hours ago, Sean B. said:

What a harsh way to convey your opinion. There are circumstances that happen and people simply can no longer make those types of payments and need time to get back on their feet. You never know what someone is going through behind closed doors. Have some compassion and be a little more positive and you might actually help this person through these tough times. 

I made no harsh comment about getting into debt or being in debt. I commented on ignoring responsibilities.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sean B.    172
11 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Pay your damned bills!!!  Grow up and take some responsibility.  They will eventually gain a court order to enter your property and take items to the value.

 

People who ignore their responsibilities and then ignore those who's job it is to recoup their debts are just scum who deserve nothing!

 

 

1 minute ago, Human.Online said:

I made no harsh comment about getting into debt or being in debt. I commented on ignoring responsibilities.

I quoted your original post above for reference. It was a harsh comment aimed at the OP. He came here asking for advice, not to be put down and called a scum who doesn't deserve anything.  

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,542
1 hour ago, Sean B. said:

 

I quoted your original post above for reference. It was a harsh comment aimed at the OP. He came here asking for advice, not to be put down and called a scum who doesn't deserve anything.  

I know exactly what I said, but thanks.

 

I am calling out people who try to run away from responsibilites or hide from responsibilites.  Maybe in 2019 we should coddle such people and let them off, bail them out and say "There there" because that's what they deserve?  Nope, I consider those to be scummy actions and they deserve nothing beyond the agreed outcomes when they got into said debt.  Ignoring a bailif is bloody stupid - you engage them, work on a payment plan and get yourself either out of debt or at least have it managed at an agreed rate.

 

People generally know what happens if you ignore debt collection agencies, bailifs, court judgements and so on - in the UK (and he uses a £ currency marker) it's not exactly easy to get into debt without agreeing to a credit agreement, so ignorance is not any form of excuse.  Advice isn't what he wanted, he says "keep ignoring" which means that he has already ignored them, which in turn means he will have already received paperwork that gives the correct advice as to what will happen - as well as advice on how a resolution may be attained.  He says that he is in debt, he says they have knocked, he says that he has ignored them with no answer "every single time" - so we are talking multiple instances.

 

His question is really "How long am I going to get away with this".  No, that's not a scummy thing to do at all, right?

 

Hey, if you don't like it - report me, the process is there if you feel I have personally attacked him (which I deliberately have not).  I called PEOPLE who take such actions "scum", HE can do what he wants, I've called HIM nothing.  The strongest thing I levelled at HIM was "Grow up", which is utterly valid.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PsYcHoKiLLa    2,381
13 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Pay your damned bills!!!  Grow up and take some responsibility.  They will eventually gain a court order to enter your property and take items to the value.

 

People who ignore their responsibilities and then ignore those who's job it is to recoup their debts are just scum who deserve nothing!

 

What an incredibly callous attitude, obviously you've never had to deal with hardship, probably live a cushy life. Count yourself lucky and don't judge others based on a couple of sentences.

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sean B.    172
4 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

I know exactly what I said, but thanks.

 

I am calling out people who try to run away from responsibilites or hide from responsibilites.  Maybe in 2019 we should coddle such people and let them off, bail them out and say "There there" because that's what they deserve?  Nope, I consider those to be scummy actions and they deserve nothing beyond the agreed outcomes when they got into said debt.  Ignoring a bailif is bloody stupid - you engage them, work on a payment plan and get yourself either out of debt or at least have it managed at an agreed rate.

 

People generally know what happens if you ignore debt collection agencies, bailifs, court judgements and so on - in the UK (and he uses a £ currency marker) it's not exactly easy to get into debt without agreeing to a credit agreement, so ignorance is not any form of excuse.  Advice isn't what he wanted, he says "keep ignoring" which means that he has already ignored them, which in turn means he will have already received paperwork that gives the correct advice as to what will happen - as well as advice on how a resolution may be attained.  He says that he is in debt, he says they have knocked, he says that he has ignored them with no answer "every single time" - so we are talking multiple instances.

 

His question is really "How long am I going to get away with this".  No, that's not a scummy thing to do at all, right?

 

Hey, if you don't like it - report me, the process is there if you feel I have personally attacked him (which I deliberately have not).  I called PEOPLE who take such actions "scum", HE can do what he wants, I've called HIM nothing.  The strongest thing I levelled at HIM was "Grow up", which is utterly valid.

I'm aware of what you said and how you intended it to come across to the OP. If I felt the need to report it I would have, instead I'm simply saying there's a better way of conveying your opinion on the subject. Your points are all valid I'm not arguing there, however there's no need to put someone down who's clearly already down just because you feel the need to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,542
39 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

What an incredibly callous attitude, obviously you've never had to deal with hardship, probably live a cushy life. Count yourself lucky and don't judge others based on a couple of sentences.

Absolutely 100% incorrect, but carry on...

 

I have come from a background where we lost EVERYTHING.  More than lost everything, went into unavoidable debt (so into negative).  And what did my parents do?  They worked hard, paid off the debt at a manageable rate, built back up and taught us children valuable lessons along the way.  I would count myself lucky for having never had an attitude of "I will deliberately avoid my responsibilities", but luck was never a part of it.

 

Do I have a cushy life now?  Oh absolutely.  Through hard work, good saving, dealing with issues in the correct way, not hiding from responsibilities - yeah.  Have I got debts? Yeah, a few managed debts that I have chosen because they are sound financial moves.  Have I ever had unmanaged debts?  Totally - when a student I overspent and racked up a few thousant quid, and then paid it back - not always at the quickest rate, but always sufficient to maintain the credit agreements I entered.

 

Have I ever dealt with debt collection agencies?  A few times, once including bailifs, thanks to a tenant who did what the OP was doing.  And you know what they did?  They conducted their business as adults and worked out payment plans - heck I would go so far to say that they were helpful about it.

 

So, "obviously" you know jack about me.  Your assumptions carry the same weight that mine do, except yours about me are entirely wrong, whereas the OPs words bely actions that suggest he has been deliberately ignoring responsibilities and advice from those who he really needs to engage with.

39 minutes ago, Sean B. said:

I'm aware of what you said and how you intended it to come across to the OP. If I felt the need to report it I would have, instead I'm simply saying there's a better way of conveying your opinion on the subject. Your points are all valid I'm not arguing there, however there's no need to put someone down who's clearly already down just because you feel the need to.

I feel absolutely differently.  I feel that the OP has shown he has deliberately avoided his responsibilities and needs a kick up the butt to stand up like a man, deal with them and resolve the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sean B.    172
3 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Absolutely 100% incorrect, but carry on...

 

I have come from a background where we lost EVERYTHING.  More than lost everything, went into unavoidable debt (so into negative).  And what did my parents do?  They worked hard, paid off the debt at a manageable rate, built back up and taught us children valuable lessons along the way.  I would count myself lucky for having never had an attitude of "I will deliberately avoid my responsibilities", but luck was never a part of it.

I feel absolutely differently.  I feel that the OP has shown he has deliberately avoided his responsibilities and needs a kick up the butt to stand up like a man, deal with them and resolve the situation.

I too grew up with unfortunate circumstances and learned those lessons as well at a young age. However that doesn't mean you should cast aside someone who needs to hear such things as you mentioned, maybe he/she doesn't have that support structure in their life. Who knows. But none-the-less there's just a better way to advise people in these situations rather than putting them down IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,542
25 minutes ago, Sean B. said:

I too grew up with unfortunate circumstances and learned those lessons as well at a young age. However that doesn't mean you should cast aside someone who needs to hear such things as you mentioned, maybe he/she doesn't have that support structure in their life. Who knows. But none-the-less there's just a better way to advise people in these situations rather than putting them down IMO.

"IMO" being a point here.

 

In my opinion, a damned good talking to and a kick up the behind to wake up, grow up and sort your responsibilities out may help.

 

As I said - he 100% will have been given all the advice he needs, not only from the credit card issuer, but balifs if ignored ALWAYS leave paperwork that ALWAYS includes ways to resolve the situation because that is their job.  He has chosen to repeatedly and actively ignore all of this - from parties he is legally beholden to engage with.  If he doesn't like what is said here on a forum populated by people he has no such responsibility towards, it's fair to suggest that he will ignore that too.

 

He didn't come here saying "Look guys, I'm £250 in debt - how do I sort this?"  -  he asked what happens if he keeps ignoring bailifs.

 

But hey OK, here's a dispassionate and factual answer:

 

The debt has now been sold to a debt collection agency (Jacobs).  Ignoring the fact that they spell out very clearly on their website how they will proceed, I can summarise that they will initially contact you by letter.  This letter details the debt and how they expect payment within 7 days but will also engage you in ways to make payments that suit your circumstances.

 

If this is ignored, the case will be passed to an enforcement agent (bailif).  Again they will inform you of this, requesting payment in full, but if that's not possible then they will also engage you in ways to make payments that suit your circumstances.  This may be a payment plan or may be accepting goods to the value of the debt.

 

Their website also states:

 

If you ignore the visits by the Enforcement Agent then the Agent can proceed to secure and remove goods and/or a vehicle immediately for sale in a Public Auction incurring you with further fees.

If the Enforcement Agent has attended your address and left a notice as you were out, you should contact the Agent immediately by calling the telephone number provided on the paperwork left at your property.

 

After ignoring the bailifs, they will then seek a court order to enter your property and seize goods that will fetch an auctionable price representing the sum owed.  Once a court order is given, they are legally allowed to gain entry to empty or locked properties using a locksmith or other means.

 

All of the above incurs additional costs - letters, visits, locksmiths, process charges - they will all be added to the debt, as spelled out very clearly on their website.

 

So, a website he could have gone to and would have given him the answers was ignored, but he came here to ask about continuing to ignore the bailifs.  Those were his chosen actions - so while it's lovely for people to call me callous and try to suggest that by now posessing wealth and honouring my responsibilities that I'm the bad guy, I suggest that others actions should be scrutinised.  I may have made assumptions about this chap, but so have they.  "Oh he may be facing financial hardship" - yeah, maybe, and nobody wants that for anyone and he needs to sort out a payment plan.  But maybe (and equally as valid an assumption, if not moreso based upon the above actions) he is just avoiding responsibilities and needs to grow up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sean B.    172
14 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

So, a website he could have gone to and would have given him the answers was ignored, but he came here to ask about continuing to ignore the bailifs.  Those were his chosen actions - so while it's lovely for people to call me callous and try to suggest that by now posessing wealth and honouring my responsibilities that I'm the bad guy, I suggest that others actions should be scrutinised.  I may have made assumptions about this chap, but so have they.  "Oh he may be facing financial hardship" - yeah, maybe, and nobody wants that for anyone and he needs to sort out a payment plan.  But maybe (and equally as valid an assumption, if not moreso based upon the above actions) he is just avoiding responsibilities and needs to grow up.

I'm not saying you're the bad guy. Your original response was simply something that didn't sit well with me given the nature of the topic at hand. You have valid points and I do agree with the majority of what you said don't get me wrong. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,542
11 minutes ago, Sean B. said:

I'm not saying you're the bad guy. Your original response was simply something that didn't sit well with me given the nature of the topic at hand. You have valid points and I do agree with the majority of what you said don't get me wrong. 

That wasn't levelled at you, but can see why you feel it was.

 

Your final comment on your original post was "and you may help them through their bad times".  OK, let's roll with that.  Let's skip the fact that they have ignored help at all stages that got them here and say it's on me or us to help them.  I genuinely believe that if it were my kid doing this, say at Uni or such to accrue a debt - I'd give them a damned good talking to about responsibility and would hit the roof if they asked about further evading bailifs - in the name of help.  What wouldn't help would be mollycodling (and at no cost, bailing them out).

 

Here's a thing.  Bailif derives from latin meaning "manager" in a "managing you because you can't manage yourself" sense.  As such, they are here to HELP you.  He is deliberately and actively ignoring "help".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
imachip    158

Personally I consider the "People who ignore their responsibilities and then ignore those who's job it is to recoup their debts are just scum who deserve nothing!" comment over the top as well.  If you didn't put that line in to your response, I doubt others would've noticed it and would've more or less agreed with the rest of your post.

 

You believe in tough love, that's fair enough but don't expect everyone to agree with that view.  You make the assumption that the OP to be compos mentis with full choice of his circumstances.  That, from experience in dealing with those in debt is usually far from the norm.  I think it would be an eye opener for you to spend some with those who are less fortunate.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Human.Online    8,542
1 minute ago, imachip said:

Personally I consider the "People who ignore their responsibilities and then ignore those who's job it is to recoup their debts are just scum who deserve nothing!" comment over the top as well.

That's great, feel free to consider what you wish of my stance.

 

2 minutes ago, imachip said:

don't expect everyone to agree with that view

I don't!?  Never suggested I did!?

 

2 minutes ago, imachip said:

I think it would be an eye opener for you to spend some with those who are less fortunate.

Such as the spectrum of cases I interact with through voluntary care?

 

3 minutes ago, imachip said:

You make the assumption that the OP to be compos mentis with full choice of his circumstances.

That is an absolutely fair comment, I have no counter argument here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.