• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

My hobby

sadafsarwar95    0

My hobby is collecting coins and precious metals

Sean B.    171
12 hours ago, sadafsarwar95 said:

My hobby is collecting coins and precious metals

Pretty nifty. I used to do such, but once my collection went missing after a house party I haven't gotten back into it. 

+Human.Online    8,542

I've a few interesting coins.  Stuff from the 3rd reich being some I find particularly interesting due to their place in history.

Nick H.    9,926
1 minute ago, Human.Online said:

Buying direct from the mint isn't really my idea of "collecting", it's just "buying"

I'm not saying that I disagree, but I'm curious: How does someone collect without buying? I know you can grab a metal detector and scour beaches, or even pay attention to the coins that get given to you as change, but those kind of options seem to come with a low chance of ever having a complete collection.

• Like 2

+Human.Online    8,542
1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

I'm not saying that I disagree, but I'm curious: How does someone collect without buying? I know you can grab a metal detector and scour beaches, or even pay attention to the coins that get given to you as change, but those kind of options seem to come with a low chance of ever having a complete collection.

Of course, it starts with a purchase, but I like to look into something and randomly find it (and then buy it) rather than direct from source.  The history of it intrigues me.

I think my preference comes from being a kid and my dad deciding "Nik's gonna get into stamp collecting".  I was not into it but hey, OK I'll do as I'm told.  So we go to a stamp collecting shop, buy the book, the tabs, etc.  And a BIG bag of stamps from around the world.  He then sets me the task of sorting them into country, denomination and then putting them into the book.  THAT IS NOT STAMP COLLECTING.  That's an arbitrary task of sorting random bits of meaningless paper for no real reason.

spikey_richie    229
19 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Buying direct from the mint isn't really my idea of "collecting", it's just "buying"

"The hobby of collecting includes seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining items that are of interest to an individual collector." There's nothing wrong with buying a limited run item brand new, and considering this part of a collection. 

+Human.Online    8,542
4 hours ago, spikey_richie said:

"The hobby of collecting includes seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining items that are of interest to an individual collector." There's nothing wrong with buying a limited run item brand new, and considering this part of a collection. 

My Idea...

I wasn't criticising what you said, I interpreted your link as a response to me, as I mentioned coins right above, and so I was giving it a "Yeah but that's not my style of collecting" response.

spikey_richie    229
11 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

My Idea...

I wasn't criticising what you said, I interpreted your link as a response to me, as I mentioned coins right above, and so I was giving it a "Yeah but that's not my style of collecting" response.

Sorry; no, I was replying to the OP. If I'm replying to a previous post, I usually quote. 

• Like 1

macoman    2,434
On 10/21/2019 at 6:31 AM, Human.Online said:

I've a few interesting coins.  Stuff from the 3rd reich being some I find particularly interesting due to their place in history.

If I was living in the UK or Europe, I would check around old castles from medieval times with a metal detector. You maybe able to find old stuff underground.

• Like 1

spikey_richie    229
24 minutes ago, macoman said:

If I was living in the UK or Europe, I would check around old castles from medieval times with a metal detector. You maybe able to find old stuff underground.

Good luck getting access to them, you can't just dig a hole in public areas.

macoman    2,434
5 minutes ago, spikey_richie said:

Good luck getting access to them, you can't just dig a hole in public areas.

do you need permission for it? or is not allow for the public to do it?

spikey_richie    229
Just now, macoman said:

do you need permission for it? or is not allow for the public to do it?

Depends where it is. A lot of professional metal detectors will ask permission from a land owner, before digging great big holes in the ground. There's also the question of who owns the find, if there is one. If I dug a trench in a local park and found a Roman hoard, you can bet your ass it will be taken from my posession. 

• Like 1

firey    3,964
3 hours ago, spikey_richie said:

Depends where it is. A lot of professional metal detectors will ask permission from a land owner, before digging great big holes in the ground. There's also the question of who owns the find, if there is one. If I dug a trench in a local park and found a Roman hoard, you can bet your ass it will be taken from my posession. 

That's only if you tell someone though ;) 

Jaimeteddy    0

My favorite hobby is camping with my family. We often ride in my favorite Subaru Forester to places where we can hunt and camp there.

Sean B.    171

I had went to my local library today to pick up a book I had been waiting to check out and found this Chinese 1941 100 Yuan bill inside that was used as a book mark. First time in my life that I've ever seen a Yuan or any Chinese currency and was pretty stoked about it and figured I'd share. 

IMG_7114(Edited).jpg

IMG_7115(Edited).jpg