• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 upgrade

Recommended Posts

cork1958    1,709

Just wondering if it's still possible to upgrade Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home using the Media Creation Tool? I just did an upgrade of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro on wife's computer last week and now sister wants me to do that to her Windows 7 Home laptop. Seems like I've read some where that you can't do this with Home edition?

 

As an extra question, most sites that I've seen say to simply hit the upgrade now button when doing this, but that didn't work on wife's computer. Had to go through the whole thing of telling installer what to do and inputting the windows key to get it to work.

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,112

yes it should still work. the only thing that's been disabled is the free upgrade website; the ISO made from the creation tool should allow upgrade just fine and will convert the 7 key to a digital one.

 

usually just choosing upgrade will work but if not just don't enter a key and it will detect the key in the BIOS or Registry and convert it after the install finishes.

 

edit: though honestly a clean install is recommended for the smoothest experience after install; sometimes weird bloat/corruption remains after in place upgrade from older windows versions. It usually isn't an issue but a clean install will definitely be a bit smoother experience. You just need to backup any documents first :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,709

See, that's the part that didn't work on wife's computer. When I tried to skip the entering key part, it wouldn't go any further on wife's computer, and before anyone asks, yes, it is a legal, store bought, OEM computer copy of Windows!

 

Thanks for that fast reply! :)

Edited by cork1958

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,180
3 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

See, that's the part that didn't work on wife's computer. When I tried to skip the entering key part, it wouldn't go any further on wife's computer, and before anyone asks, yes, it is a legal copy of Windows!

 

Thanks for that fast reply! :)

What happens when you skip the key? Does it error out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,709
1 minute ago, warwagon said:

What happens when you skip the key? Does it error out?

Forget exactly what happened, but didn't install, that's for sure! Pretty sure it just sat there doing nothing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,180
3 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Forget exactly what happened, but didn't install, that's for sure! Pretty sure it just sat there doing nothing though.

I've seen the windows 10 install just sit there at a blank screen before while going to the next screen, how long did you wait?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,709
9 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I've seen the windows 10 install just sit there at a blank screen before while going to the next screen, how long did you wait?

Probably 30 minutes on the third try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peresvet    181
On 10/14/2019 at 5:36 PM, warwagon said:

What happens when you skip the key? Does it error out?

You're being given at least three days to punch in a new key once the installation process finishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,320
5 minutes ago, Peresvet said:

You're being given at least three days to punch in a new key once the installation process finishes.

You can have as many days as you want. It just throws a watermark up and disables things like customization. Source: I’ve got two VMs that’s been running Windows 10 for three years and isnt activated. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cask1    98

You should be able to re-enter your Windows 7 key and it should activate. When I bought a Surface pro 6 earlier this year that came with Windows 10 Home, I just entered a Windows 7 Pro key I had laying around from the old MS Connect Technical Beta Program and it converted it to the Pro version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peresvet    181
4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

 It just throws a watermark up and disables things like customization.

When? After how many days does it do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,320
50 minutes ago, Peresvet said:

When? After how many days does it do that?

Immediately. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peresvet    181
3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Immediately. 

False.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,320
12 minutes ago, Peresvet said:

False.

Lmao. Ok. 
 

I’ve installed Windows 10 unactivated

more times than I can count, but you go ahead and believe that.  If you think you can customize windows without activation—I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,709

Probably should've added in my original post that although clicking the upgrade now button didn't work, I could enter the key and it worked then as far as installing. I still went and looked at the screen to see if Windows was activated and it wasn't. Clicked activate now and it activated, so all is good on wife's computer.

 

Just my usual kind of luck that things don't work like they're normally supposed to!

 

Thanks for the replies :)

 

Edit: Always thought you had 30 days to activate before seeing the watermark?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,320
2 hours ago, cork1958 said:

Probably should've added in my original post that although clicking the upgrade now button didn't work, I could enter the key and it worked then as far as installing. I still went and looked at the screen to see if Windows was activated and it wasn't. Clicked activate now and it activated, so all is good on wife's computer.

 

Just my usual kind of luck that things don't work like they're normally supposed to!

 

Thanks for the replies :)

 

Edit: Always thought you had 30 days to activate before seeing the watermark?

I’ve seen it as soon as immediately. I think the 30 days thing was back when Windows would flat out not work if you weren’t activated in the time period, forcing you to so. 
 

Googling, you can find reports of both. 30 days restriction free however is not something I have ever seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    13,644
On 10/17/2019 at 2:21 PM, Peresvet said:

False.

Seems pretty darn immediate to me...fresh install/not activated.

 

 

 

 

Capture.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,709
21 hours ago, Jim K said:

Seems pretty darn immediate to me...fresh install/not activated.

 

 

 

 

Capture.JPG

 

Ya, that's what I saw also, but that's not a watermark. At least it's not in the lower right hand corner like Windows did in Windows 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    13,644
34 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

 

Ya, that's what I saw also, but that's not a watermark. At least it's not in the lower right hand corner like Windows did in Windows 7.

The watermark probably appears after a certain amount of time (I'm guessing 30 days).  However, I've never seen it first-hand since I haven't ran an inactivated 10 for more than a few hours.

The "Personalization" section is disabled until you activate...that much I do know.  :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,709
7 minutes ago, Jim K said:

The watermark probably appears after a certain amount of time (I'm guessing 30 days).  However, I've never seen it first-hand since I haven't ran an inactivated 10 for more than a few hours.

The "Personalization" section is disabled until you activate...that much I do know.  :) 

Yes, I agree that's most likely how it works. Hope we're all clear on this now. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,320
54 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Yes, I agree that's most likely how it works. Hope we're all clear on this now. :)

I’ve seen it right off the bat. It shows up through windows overlayed on the desktop and not just on the desktop.  It’s not like I build a VM and don’t touch it for thirty days to make that mistake. Like I said, I’ve run inactivated VMs for years. On top of that, I’ve installed Enterprise and forgotten to activate and seen it the same day, which reminded me to put in the VL key. I would have to check, but I think after a reboot it tends to disappear for a short time as well but always comes back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goretsky    1,054

Hello,

 

It is entirely possible the amount of time before the watermark is displayed may vary between versions and editions of Windows 10, as well as what sort of fingerprinting Microsoft does server-side when your copy checks in for electronic license.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,180
12 minutes ago, Carter95 said:

I think it would be better:

Uninstall Windows 7 and then install a new Windows 10 on your computer,you are able to do that by using a Windows Media creation tool.

Or follow some Windows upgrade tutorials to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.

 

Uninstall windows 7? You mean format and clean install windows 10 using the windows 7 key?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,709
8 hours ago, Carter95 said:

I think it would be better:

Uninstall Windows 7 and then install a new Windows 10 on your computer,you are able to do that by using a Windows Media creation tool.

Or follow some Windows upgrade tutorials to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.

 

Didn't want to "uninstall" Windows 7 in case wife didn't want to use Windows 10, which I wouldn't have blamed her at all, but she seems to be grasping it ok. Darn sure helped that her work place had switched to Windows 10 just before I upgraded her computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.