There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Very... intersting advertising - NSFW

On a newly installed macOS Mojave machine with a clean install of google chrome no less.

It was one of the upper right side advertising of the site.

WISH is a really weird company; their ads on Facebook are just as absurd if not worse sometimes ...

Just now, Eternal Tempest said:

On a newly installed macOS Mojave machine with a clean install of google chrome no less.

It was one of the upper right side advertising of the site.

WISH has been pushing their advertising all over the place lately too; they label themselves as general merchandise advertising but the content they show in their ads is absurd

@Steven P. I'd recommend you request with the ad partners that WISH ads don't show at all as they're all this bad and worse; I get them showing up on my Facebook feed all the time and they tend to show things like sex toys and paraphernalia too

I just laugh at them on facebook but a site like this isn't exactly appropriate for them to show on IMO

Well that's not on. We're a family-friendly site (for the most part.) But, as always, it's worth pointing out that advertisements get shown to you according to your cookies and browsing habits, so it doesn't necessarily matter if you are signed in or not. :p

@Steven P.and @DaveLegg something to check, perhaps?

@Eternal Tempestmaybe try clearing your cache and see if such adverts still show?

We already block adult/dating/gambling through our primary partner and Adsense, the latter of which this came from. You can actually choose to never see ads like that again on the ad itself, but I will report it too and see if we can put a block on Wish ads.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

@Eternal Tempestmaybe try clearing your cache and see if such adverts still show?

Why would that make any difference? You're the one serving the ads. What does his cache have to do with anything on a fresh install?

Edited by shockz

56 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Well that's not on. We're a family-friendly site (for the most part.) But, as always, it's worth pointing out that advertisements get shown to you according to your cookies and browsing habits, so it doesn't necessarily matter if you are signed in or not. :p

@Steven P.and @DaveLegg something to check, perhaps?

Already nuked the machine and re-install macOS Catalina (3rd time).
Testing our MDM deployment seeing what breaks, etc.

This is an iMac, with a fresh macOS Catalina & Chrome install.

Testing software to update the Privacy Preferences Policy Control - Pre-Approval

aka cut down on the X software want y permissions.

14 minutes ago, shockz said:

Why would that make any difference? You're the one serving the ads. What does his cache have to do with anything on a fresh install?

While I didn't read the bit about it being a fresh install, I'm not the one serving the ads. Nor is Neowin, as far as I know. It's an advertisement company doing that, Neowin has some control over it but #### happens as we've discussed regarding rogue adverts in the past. I'm not passing the buck, just calling it as I see it.

But you're right, if it's a fresh install then that makes it weirder. I can't fault browsing habits. ;)

5 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

While I didn't read the bit about it being a fresh install, I'm not the one serving the ads. Nor is Neowin, as far as I know. It's an advertisement company doing that, Neowin has some control over it but #### happens as we've discussed regarding rogue adverts in the past. I'm not passing the buck, just calling it as I see it.

No, Neowin is serving the ads. Regardless of who you partnered with. It is on your site, you are ultimately responsible for the content being served to viewers.

1 hour ago, shockz said:

No, Neowin is serving the ads. Regardless of who you partnered with. It is on your site, you are ultimately responsible for the content being served to viewers.

Agreed, which is why we need our members to report such egregious adverts. But it's not like we pick the adverts. And as I pointed out earlier, some adverts come from viewing habits. I like playing a game with colleagues where I write something in a white font over and over because I know that the adverts will then follow them and suggest such products. :laugh:

I talk about keyboards to a friend on Friday (My Microsoft eKZ-00001 Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID stopped working :() and all of a sudden I am seeing ads for keyboards :| 

SNAG-0007.png

I reviewed the 177 Wish ads in our AdSense (ours looks quite generic and safe) and nothing like that style came up, so I have reported it to our primary provider.

8 hours ago, shockz said:

Actually yes it would, no actually the provider is serving the ad's, it's neowin's responsibly to set up the filters, the providers are the ones that are at fault for not obeying said filters.  Also it may not be his cache per-say but the ad providers cache for his IP address too.  Might have to check and see which of your users is browsing the "funny" sites.

6 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I talk about keyboards to a friend on Friday (My Microsoft eKZ-00001 Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID stopped working :() and all of a sudden I am seeing ads for keyboards :| 

Thats why my primary computer doesn't have a built in mic 😛 their always listening :shiftyninja:

1 hour ago, Matthew S. said:

Thats why my primary computer doesn't have a built in mic 😛 their always listening :shiftyninja:

And the reason I'll never own an Alexa or anything like that. I prefer privacy over convenience.