• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Smart migration from single boot Windows 7 to dual boot Windows 7 and 10

originalsnuffy    6

With the coming demise of Windows 7 support, I would like to create a dual boot machine.  

As I understand it, you can't really keep your data and apps unless you migrate from a working OS.

So what I would like to do is copy Windows 7 to a new, bigger SSD and also have a partition on the new drive that is an upgrade of my existing Windows 7 drive.

I am presuming that the best way to do this is to copy Windows 7 twice to a new SSD (my current SSD is simply too small).  Then somehow I would want to boot into Windows 7 on the  second partition and then upgrade that in place to Windows 10 and end up with a dual boot machine.  

Does that make sense and can I do what was just described?  Am I off base?  Thanks!

+BudMan    3,546

Why not just get a new SSD (bigger of course)... Copy the current OS to the new SSD.. then upgrade it.. You still have your old SSD that could boot your windows 7 OS before upgrade if need be?

Why do you think you dual boot has to be on 1 single SSD?

originalsnuffy    6

Your idea will work but I am getting low on hard drive connectors and space in the PC.  So combining the two drives is a preferred scenario.

+BudMan    3,546

Short doesn't mean "out" of them ;)

A 2.5" ssd doesn't take up a lot of space..  Does you pc support esata?  You could always connect the drive there.