• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Problem with explorer.exe (?)

Howard Davis    17
20 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

No. But your system is compromised, that much is sure. Formatting the system will at least remove that concern. If the problems persist after that then we can look in to things like hardware issues.

I can't stress formatting enough, not upgrading. Wipe the whole damned computer and start from scratch. It's not difficult and if you get stuck along the way we can continue to help; providing you have another way of accessing the Internet to talk to us. ;)

Do you have another stick you can try? Otherwise this is going to be tough...

Thank you so much for your advice.

NO USB disk can now be used - perhaps upon rebooting it will work, but I'm frustrated, aggravated, and don't want to do any more today. Perhaps later.

I was just working with Word and it crashed again. More and more seems to be failing. The failure of Malwarebytes to open may be just this, and not the result of sabotage or malware. 

I have no idea how to wipe and format a hard drive and would not attempt it. I must have at least my email functioning. I also don't want to lose my present programs and files. 

This is beyond my abilities. Would calling in a local tech I've worked with before be wise?

Brandon H    3,501
12 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

Thank you so much for your advice.

NO USB disk can now be used - perhaps upon rebooting it will work, but I'm frustrated, aggravated, and don't want to do any more today. Perhaps later.

I was just working with Word and it crashed again. More and more seems to be failing. The failure of Malwarebytes to open may be just this, and not the result of sabotage or malware. 

I have no idea how to wipe and format a hard drive and would not attempt it. I must have at least my email functioning. I also don't want to lose my present programs and files. 

This is beyond my abilities. Would calling in a local tech I've worked with before be wise?

If you have a techy friend that you trust they would surly be willing to help you wipe your machine and install Windows 10 fresh :)

Here's an easy to follow guide on formatting and reinstalling as well if you'd like it. It's not too bad a process now a days, mostly a follow the prompts type of thing.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

(note: It is good to only have your main HDD/SSD plugged in when reinstalling. When you get to the partition table portion of the instructions you can delete all and choose next, it will repartition itself including recovery partition :))

sc302    1,779
On 10/27/2019 at 1:46 PM, Howard Davis said:

I called Dell at 800-999-3355. As I spoke to several different people and all seemed legitimate, I believe I did not reach a scammer site. For out of warranty computers they offer a one-time fix for $129, more if you want ongoing coverage. Of course they must be given access to your computer. In the first scam incident the scammer took a lot of time after doing the alleged repair, during which he installed malware that I later found and removed. There was no such time requested in this last fix. 

What exactly do you mean by "I would terminate your current Windows installation and start fresh." Install Win 10? No sense in reinstalling Win 7, as  it will not be supported much longer. Could I still have malware despite both Avast and Malwarebytes saying I do not? I've been OK for over 2 years since the scam episode.  I think it most likely there is an intermittent issue with explorer.exe if not something else, and today is just a "good day." Yesterday even Word crashed. 

800-999-3355 is not a dell number.  The last 4 digits are correct.  

The correct number is 1-800-456-3355  

You were scammed again.

3.jpg

• Like 1

Brandon H    3,501
2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

You were scammed again.

google does say that is the correct number actually. the entry could be incorrect but google usually isn't that bad. that could be the issue though.

image.thumb.png.9301e0d205c13c94b7f9db074af92027.png

Dells actual support page also shows some different phone numbers

https://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/us/en/04/contactus/Dynamic

sc302    1,779
5 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

google does say that is the correct number actually. the entry could be incorrect but google usually isn't that bad. that could be the issue though.

image.thumb.png.9301e0d205c13c94b7f9db074af92027.png

Dells actual support page also shows some different phone numbers

typing in that number directly in google goes to a dell community page on the second post.  Almost Everything on the first google search page mentions scam.  Dell doesn't advertise their help number for your particular model until after you enter your service tag.

As always, do not trust 3rd party sites for giving out correct information.  Go to the original source.

Brandon H    3,501
4 minutes ago, sc302 said:

typing in that number directly in google goes to a dell community page on the second post.  Almost Everything on the first google search page mentions scam.

reported the number with the feedback button so hopefully google will correct it if it is indeed a scam number (Y)

Riva    1,272
2 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

Thanks for the advice. Would there be no risk in using the Win7 backup utility? How can I do so?

I do not know how to access the items you listed above, nor how to double check them. 

Here is a link how to move files from a Win7 PC to a Win10 PC from Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4469209/windows-7-move-files-off-pc-using-backup-and-restore

To do a fresh install of Windows 10:

• Backup your files as described above
  • Download all drivers for your Dell PC, should be easy, please go to dell.com this time. Place them on a USB stick
  • Disconnect any internal disks you have for storage. Keep the disk where windows 7 is installed connected.
  • Use the tool here to perform a clean install of windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10startfresh
  • Create a new Windows 10 ISO and burn it to disc or USB. Run the installer
  • The windows installer will prompt "Upgrade" or "Advanced", you select "Advanced". It will also prompt for a product key, you can select I dont have a product key for now. Then you need to format your existing disk. It should appear as list of disks/partitions. Usually the disk is number 0. Simply select all partitions on it and press the delete button under the list. Then select Disk 0 to install windows on it and press next.
  • Once done, install the dell drivers
  • Install an antivirus
  • Preferably use Firefox not Chrome :p
  • Restore your backup
  • Re-attach your internal storage disks

Edit: If you need further help / automation with recreating the windows partitions please do the following on your pc and send me a screenshot. I will then post a script here you can use during install:

Run Command Prompt as Administrator

Type in Diskpart

Once it tells you the PC Name etc type in list disk

Send me a screenshot of what it reads

Edited by Riva
  • Like 1

Howard Davis    17
4 hours ago, sc302 said:

You were scammed again.

3.jpg

No, I've had and used that number since I bought the computer. I no longer trust Dell at all, and will not seek help from them. I would not purchase another Dell product unless I have to; are Lenovo computers any good? 

Howard Davis    17

The computer now seems to be running OK except that Malwarebytes still cannot open and the USB flash drive is not recognized. 

I'll be calling a repair service tech. Can anyone recommend a good computer repair service in Brooklyn, NY?

Edited by Howard Davis

Brandon H    3,501
8 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

No, I've had and used that number since I bought the computer. I no longer trust Dell at all, and will not seek help from them. I would not purchase another Dell product unless I have to; are Lenovo computers any good? 

so you're blaming Dell for the fact that you've been calling a scam call center because some ###### modified the support number on Wikipedia which google just happens to pull from? that number has been proven to be fake per sc302's last post.

sorry but that's not a good reason to distrust Dell. they're a good OEM and have good tech support if you use the numbers actually listed on their 'contact us' section.

• Like 2

sc302    1,779
1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

so you're blaming Dell for the fact that you've been calling a scam call center because some ###### modified the support number on Wikipedia which google just happens to pull from? that number has been proven to be fake per sc302's last post.

sorry but that's not a good reason to distrust Dell. they're a good OEM and have good tech support if you use the numbers actually listed on their 'contact us' section.

in my opinion, the best tech support out of the 3 big ones (lenovo, dell, hp).  Dell doesn't reach out to you when you have a problem with a pc.  Those services are reserved for other things, not pc's.  When you have a problem with a pc or a standalone server, you reach out to them then they help you..

Howard Davis    17
16 hours ago, Brandon H said:

I have that phone number for Dell from when I bought the computer. From the nature of the event I cannot rule out reaching scammers instead of Dell, but I think it was genuine. I spoke to several different people in different departments; in the scam event 2 years ago I only spoke with one person. I will NEVER trust Dell as long as they put profits ahead of honest service to customers by farming out labor to  where criminals are not under the jurisdiction of USA law and enforcement. 

Howard Davis    17

I have made an appointment for a tech from HelloTech to come over Saturday to fix the issues and upgrade to Win 10. The price for all of this will be just over $100 tax included - less than Dell charges for their "service" which requires you to turn over control to them. I will NEVER trust Dell as long as they put profits ahead of honest service to customers by farming out labor to  where criminals are not under the jurisdiction of USA law and enforcement. My next computer will be a Lenovo, and DELL CAN GO TO HELL!

I thank all of you here for your expert advice. Sorry that I do not consider myself expert enough to personally do as you've advised. 

Brandon H    3,501
3 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

I have made an appointment for a tech from HelloTech to come over Saturday to fix the issues and upgrade to Win 10. The price for all of this will be just over $100 tax included - less than Dell charges for their "service" which requires you to turn over control to them. I will NEVER trust Dell as long as they put profits ahead of honest service to customers by farming out labor to  where criminals are not under the jurisdiction of USA law and enforcement. My next computer will be a Lenovo, and DELL CAN GO TO HELL!

I thank all of you here for your expert advice. Sorry that I do not consider myself expert enough to personally do as you've advised. 

again you have NOT been working with Dell. the number you have been calling is confirmed to be fake and leading to a scammers help desk. Even if it seemed legit it clearly was not. I can tell you from experience some scammers have gone to such lengths to basically create an organization around a scam practice.

The only legit phone numbers are the ones listed on Dells actual 'contact us' web page and that 800-999-3355 is NOT one of them.

----------------------------

On the subject of the tech coming to help you $100 seems overcharge at least to me. you could reload your system for free using the guide I posted with little to no issue. You're probably mostly paying for the in house visit. Not to dis the service, he'll probably get you running golden again but $100 to me seems like double what it should be costing you.

Best of luck to you that it's just a reinstall you need and nothing hardware wise is failing causing your trouble :)

Howard Davis    17
On 10/30/2019 at 4:49 PM, Brandon H said:

again you have NOT been working with Dell. the number you have been calling is confirmed to be fake and leading to a scammers help desk. Even if it seemed legit it clearly was not. I can tell you from experience some scammers have gone to such lengths to basically create an organization around a scam practice.

The only legit phone numbers are the ones listed on Dells actual 'contact us' web page and that 800-999-3355 is NOT one of them.

----------------------------

On the subject of the tech coming to help you $100 seems overcharge at least to me. you could reload your system for free using the guide I posted with little to no issue. You're probably mostly paying for the in house visit. Not to dis the service, he'll probably get you running golden again but $100 to me seems like double what it should be costing you.

Best of luck to you that it's just a reinstall you need and nothing hardware wise is failing causing your trouble :)

Thanks, Brandon.

Dell (or whomever I reached) charged $129! I spoke with the tech coming on Saturday - he thinks reinstalling the OS from the original disc that came with the computer may be all I need. Fortunately I kept the disc and product key information. This should not cause the loss of any files or software as the hard drive will not be wiped clean. Any change to Win10 will be done another time, as will the installation of a solid-state hard drive if desired. If I like the work this tech does I'll have him do that. 

Howard Davis    17

I consider Dell criminally complicit if indeed there is a scam of this magnitude going on and they do nothing to stop it. As I said, I'll "vote with my feet" - my next computer will be a Lenovo, and I'll inform all my friends to boycott Dell as well.