• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Former Apple designer responds to President Trump’s iPhone critique

Recommended Posts

spacelordmaster    134

That is the one thing I do agree on with President Trump. The home button on the iphone with the fingerprint sensor was way better than the new swipe feature and the stupid, not so secure Face ID.

 

What do you guys think?

 

https://www.cultofmac.com/661560/former-apple-designer-responds-to-president-trumps-iphone-critique/#more-661560

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.    10,686
Just now, spacelordmaster said:

That is the one thing I do agree on with President Trump. The home button on the iphone with the fingerprint sensor was way better than the new swipe feature and the stupid, not so secure Face ID.

 

What do you guys think?

 

https://www.cultofmac.com/661560/former-apple-designer-responds-to-president-trumps-iphone-critique/#more-661560

I disagree. I've had no issues with the lack of a button on the iPhone. And there is a case to be made that the "not so secure Face ID" is actually far more secure than the fingerprint ID. We disabled the use of the fingerprint ID at one job because of how insecure it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spacelordmaster    134
13 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I disagree. I've had no issues with the lack of a button on the iPhone. And there is a case to be made that the "not so secure Face ID" is actually far more secure than the fingerprint ID. We disabled the use of the fingerprint ID at one job because of how insecure it was.

I say insecure because many times when I am not even facing the phone directly, as soon as it detects my face on its side, it unlocks and that's scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,549

I agree with him on this one.

 

One of the many reasons I left iPhone was due to the missing home button.

 

I don't like the new swipe ui design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Code Name: Lockdown    9,531

I much prefer facial recognition.  It's unlocked by the time I've fully lifted it up - exactly as it's meant to work.  I hardly feel it's any form of valid issue to argue that it is "insecure because many times when I am not even facing the phone directly, as soon as it detects my face on its side, it unlocks" especially as this level of "not requiring your full facial attention" can easily be disabled in settings.

 

The swipe has become second nature, and moreover, the different ways of swiping make sense within the context they are to be used.

 

While personal preference plays a great part in what method you feel more at-home with, I feel this thread is a bit loaded, seeing as you've asked others opinions while calling FaceID "stupid" and "not so secure" when you don't seem to understand it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.    10,686
1 hour ago, spacelordmaster said:

I say insecure because many times when I am not even facing the phone directly, as soon as it detects my face on its side, it unlocks and that's scary.

You can enable "Require Attention for Face ID" under the Face ID & Passcode settings. Problem solved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
macoman    2,919
2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I disagree. I've had no issues with the lack of a button on the iPhone. And there is a case to be made that the "not so secure Face ID" is actually far more secure than the fingerprint ID. We disabled the use of the fingerprint ID at one job because of how insecure it was.

so if someone stole your iphone and print your face... that can easily unlock your iphone. The fingerprint in my opinion is way better. Difficult for someone to use your fingerprint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.Xtreme    2,971

Well Face ID is more secure than the fingerprint reader and that's just a simple fact.  What I would like to see is an option to not require the swipe and go straight to the home screen.  I get that it would bypass notifications, but I still want the option.  It was an option for the fingerprint reader, so not sure why they removed it for Face ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.    10,686
13 minutes ago, macoman said:

so if someone stole your iphone and print your face... that can easily unlock your iphone. The fingerprint in my opinion is way better. Difficult for someone to use your fingerprint.

It's actually the other way around. If someone prints a picture of my face they still cannot unlock the phone. It's been tested numerous times, and I've performed the test myself. The fingerprint scanner, on the other hand, was proven several times to be circumvented using nothing more than some sellotape or Plasticine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    7,853

What's annoying is that the iPhone 2020 is supposed to have a finger print sensor in it, and I'm sure apple will make it more home button oriented at unlock... Trump will claim credit lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    7,853
35 minutes ago, macoman said:

so if someone stole your iphone and print your face... that can easily unlock your iphone. The fingerprint in my opinion is way better. Difficult for someone to use your fingerprint.

That's not how any of this works. You can't just print a face on a piece of paper and show it to the iPhone. It scans all the nooks and crannies of your physical face, including depth and shape all around when moving your head, as well as well as making sure your eyes are open. You'd have to 3D print your face out as a model, and even then people still haven't had the best of luck getting it to unlock.

 

And fingerprint security has been countered countless times. All it takes is a dirty screen with your finger print, or honestly anywhere your finger print is, a piece of scotch tape to lift the print, and placing it on the sensor. It's the same issue Samsung is having with screen protectors right now on the latest galaxy. Fingerprint sensors are by far the more insecure method, forensically speaking.

 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiU1YvWg7_lAhXiQ98KHVC9BTgQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dg4m6StzUcOw&psig=AOvVaw1hJYoK0rIlzlWJsL1AZfIr&ust=1572354647041622

Edited by shockz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
macoman    2,919
11 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

It's actually the other way around. If someone prints a picture of my face they still cannot unlock the phone. It's been tested numerous times, and I've performed the test myself. The fingerprint scanner, on the other hand, was proven several times to be circumvented using nothing more than some sellotape or Plasticine. 

I am surprise that the face ID is way better than the fingerprint... Apple went above and beyond with this technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,549

I can't stand Face ID. Hate it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
macoman    2,919
55 minutes ago, margrave said:

I can't stand Face ID. Hate it.

Wondering if this technology is not healthy in term of radiation emission to your face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.Xtreme    2,971
1 hour ago, macoman said:

Wondering if this technology is not healthy in term of radiation emission to your face.

Not in the slightest.  It uses an infrared sensor, which is non ionizing radiation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
margrave    1,549

I just hate it. I don't like having to point the camera of my phone to my face to unlock it when I should be able to just press a button. It worked fine before, and Face ID is a hindrance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sean B.    175

It honestly took some time to get used to, I do think they should have left the home button/finger print sensor and gave users an option on which to use. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.