• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Remove 3M sticky adhesive from car phone rubber mount

+Elliot B.    1,577

I recently bought this: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123910576823

I wanted to mount it, using the adhesive on the suction cup, to the dashboard.

However, as well as the fact it kept falling from the dashboard, it left an awful mark:

eb_adhesive1.thumb.jpg.345d5649103e5f5248f305b096f8e2db.jpg

Due to these facts, I got a full refund and went looking for the same mount (as the arm was perfect) but without the adhesive on the suction cup so I can use it on the windscreen.

Unfortunately, I can't find one without said adhesive so I've been looking at removing the adhesive on the mount I got the refund for.

Following random advice found via. Google, I soaked the cup in WD-40 for an hour and washed it away with soapy water but it's still extremely sticky. The WD-40 basically did not dissolve the adhesive in my case.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to WD-40, that's also suction cup-safe?

LoneWolfMage    12

Elliot B.~

I'm not sure if they have this product  in the UK    but here in the states there is a product called  Goo Gone.. it GENERALLY will get rid of some very stubborn sticky   things  from cars  .. 

reference link for more info >>> https://googone.com/shop-categories#automotive

I KNOW for a fact here  in my home town  we have  small bottles of it  at  a store called Dollar Tree ( i happen to work there as a stocker/laborer)...    and yes everything literally is  1$   to buy .. 

Best of Luck 

~LoneWolf

ddawson    1

3M products are very durable but they can be defeated. Get a little bit of dish soap, Sunlight or Dove, saturate the surface with it. Leave it for a bit and then take a hair dryer heat the adhesive and use more soapy water to remove the adhesive. Goo gone works on some things but not others. You need to be patient and exact as to how you hold the hair dryer kind of tilt it to the side as opposed to going directly on top of it. Best thing to use is like a small plaster knife, not a sharp one dull would be better. The adhesive will come off with no problem.

+Human.Online    8,595

GooGone is very good at this sort of thing

• Like 1

+Elliot B.    1,577
29 minutes ago, LoneWolfMage said:

Elliot B.~

I'm not sure if they have this product  in the UK    but here in the states there is a product called  Goo Gone.. it GENERALLY will get rid of some very stubborn sticky   things  from cars  .. 

reference link for more info >>> https://googone.com/shop-categories#automotive

I KNOW for a fact here  in my home town  we have  small bottles of it  at  a store called Dollar Tree ( i happen to work there as a stocker/laborer)...    and yes everything literally is  1$   to buy .. 

Best of Luck 

~LoneWolf

8 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Unfortunately, the cheapest I can find Goo Gone liquid adhesive remover on eBay in the UK is £6.90 for 2oz/57ml.

I've heard Goo Gone can leave an oily residue, too.

8 minutes ago, ddawson said:

3M products are very durable but they can be defeated. Get a little bit of dish soap, Sunlight or Dove, saturate the surface with it. Leave it for a bit and then take a hair dryer heat the adhesive and use more soapy water to remove the adhesive. Goo gone works on some things but not others. You need to be patient and exact as to how you hold the hair dryer kind of tilt it to the side as opposed to going directly on top of it. Best thing to use is like a small plaster knife, not a sharp one dull would be better. The adhesive will come off with no problem.

In the end, I bought some 99.99% isopropyl alcohol (50ml, £2.38).

adrynalyne    12,389
1 hour ago, Human.Online said:

Yup, used many times. 

Euphoria    2,031
2 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

I recently bought this: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123910576823

I wanted to mount it, using the adhesive on the suction cup, to the dashboard.

However, as well as the fact it kept falling from the dashboard, it left an awful mark:

eb_adhesive1.thumb.jpg.345d5649103e5f5248f305b096f8e2db.jpg

Due to these facts, I got a full refund and went looking for the same mount (as the arm was perfect) but without the adhesive on the suction cup so I can use it on the windscreen.

Unfortunately, I can't find one without said adhesive so I've been looking at removing the adhesive on the mount I got the refund for.

Following random advice found via. Google, I soaked the cup in WD-40 for an hour and washed it away with soapy water but it's still extremely sticky. The WD-40 basically did not dissolve the adhesive in my case.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to WD-40, that's also suction cup-safe?

I would re-try the WD-40 but dont wash it with water. Take a dry towel first and rub off all the glue. Then once the glue is removed wash it...

+Elliot B.    1,577
14 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

You missed where it says "£3.00 + £3.95 delivery" ;)

1 minute ago, Euphoria said:

I would re-try the WD-40 but dont wash it with water. Take a dry towel first and rub off all the glue. Then once the glue is removed wash it...

Sorry, that's what I did. Nothing rubbed off. So I washed it with water and soap and, once it had dried, it was still very sticky.

Euphoria    2,031
Just now, Elliot B. said:

You missed where it says "£3.00 + £3.95 delivery" ;)

Sorry, that's what I did. Nothing rubbed off. So I washed it with water and soap and, once it had dried, it was still very sticky.

Wow... thats weird... I've used it so many times to remove all kind of glue... from Velcro back glue to supper glue... 

adrynalyne    12,389
32 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Wow... thats weird... I've used it so many times to remove all kind of glue... from Velcro back glue to supper glue... 

you aren’t supposed to eat glue, so supper glue must be a typo 🙃

+Human.Online    8,595
2 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

I've heard Goo Gone can leave an oily residue, too.

I used it a LOT and never experienced this.

Euphoria    2,031
3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Hahaha yeah... :)

+Human.Online    8,595
3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

As long as it doesn't break fast!

• Haha 2

Sean B.    173
23 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Agreed with you on that, it’s worked perfectly on anything I’ve ever used it on as far as removing adhesive residue. 

However from the picture the OP posted it looks like an indentation on the dashboard from the suction cup versus residue, I’m curious what kind of material the dashboard is made out of.

+Human.Online    8,595

Oh THAT?  That's fake leather, sorta spongy plastic.  Didn't realise THAT was the issue.  A hairdryer will sort that.

Marujan    92

heat panel up with hairdryer

use only windshield stickers

+Human.Online    8,595

Somewhat off topic but...

For car holders, I will ALWAYS use Brodit gear.  Not cheap, but for a valid reason - they are:

1) A holder for your phone with a ball-mount.  Nothing to connect to your car's panels, just the phone part.

2) A connector for your car - they assess a car's interior and find places where it can be moulded to clip-on without any damage.

Like I say, not cheap but utterly worth it!

5 minutes ago, Marujan said:

use only windshield stickers

Not always valid.  Some windshields are too far away - the car has a longer than (what I'd call average) dashboard.  Also they look crap!

You spend tens of thousands on a car, maybe a thousand or so on a phone, why spend ten on a crap holder.