• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

How Much Bandwidth Should QCA9377 Wireless Adapter Get?

Question

bikeman25    63

Right now on my Comcast internet with Gateway Modem--TG1682G, it says in status area 433mbps,  can't seem to get it go any higher, is it all this PC supports,  Laptop shows 866mbps,   both were bought in 2017, One has Intel Dual band adapter, and one has QUALCOMM QCA9377 Wireless Adapter,  any way to improve the Desktop,  moved to new townhome, and had to go wireless, and don't have ethernet cable long enough to reach the living room where Comcast tech setup the Gateway for our Triple Play service, and wireless receiver that I have to use there gateway 

10 answers to this question

nekrosoft13    722

if you are getting 433 Mbps then you are getting the max speed that chipset is capable of according to specs https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qca9377

buy a longer cable

bikeman25    63

Yeah I may have to look into longer cable, and figure out how to get it ran without creating a tripping hazard on the steps lol,  something to look into in the future for sure.    

+BudMan    3,544

433 would be single stream AC, 80mhz channel.. Keep in mind that is PHY speed.. Your not going to actually see that speed.. More like 50 to 60% of that tops.. Lets call it 250mbps

Whats your internet speed?  Are you trying to move files around locally on your network?  Keep in mind as well wireless to wireless is going to cut the speed /2 as well.

bikeman25    63

Internet Speed 300/20 From Comcast

Unforuately new Townhome had absolutely no cable jacks upstairs, and unforuately had no long enough ethernet wires,   for years this PC was only wired,  finally trying it on wireless,  and not doing any PC to PC transfer over network yet, just in process of resetting up everything from the Move slowly and surely.      

Gamed a bit this morning, and game seemed to run fine, no noticeable lag or such,  but of course it was 6:30am, and probably wasn't that busy

Overall I guess i'll make due,  I'm Sure tech left the Comcast Gateway Arris TG1682G at default settings, and probably on Auto Channel as well, so later on if issues I guess I can adjust channels to hopefully one with less interference 

+BudMan    3,544

Yeah 433 PHY connection never going to do 300...  All the stars aligned you might get close.. But 70% of PHY... no not really.. .  But atleast you should be able to get close to what your paying for... Do you actually get 300 if you connect via a wire.. Or does your laptop do it?

You could either get a better wifi for your PC that can do 2 streams like your laptop.. Or you could try the powerline adapter route.. But make sure you find some actual benchmarks for the models you look at - they put high numbers on the units as well.. But many of them way short of their marketing numbers.

But I would think you could put a decent wifi adpater in your PC for reasonable price that could do your 300mbps internet speed.

bikeman25    63

Yes do get over 300 with overprovisioning with Wired Ethernet, I was averging around 360mbps prior to the move,  I could look into a newer PCI-E wifi adapter provided I have any open PCI-E Slots on my Asus G11CD-K Desktop,  last I looked I didn't see any

Guess will research more and go from there, about all can do,  don't really wanna be down in cold basement with my computer systems like I was at Condo for about 10-12 years,  that was so cold I was wearing my winter coat at times to use my PC to game and other general tasks lol, and feet was so cold was numb, not sure if the heat vent worked well in that former room or not

**Then again Desk too much trouble to move down there anyhow**

This situation makes me wish I had spent some chunk of money on a custom PC years ago with a motherboard with more PCI-E slots, M.2 slot,  and such lol,   

Laptop gets rated speed 360mbps/25mb upload with over provisioning,  so guess that ones better PCI-E adapter lol

I think on this system I only have 1 PCI-E x16 Slot, and nothing else lol

Edited by bikeman25

+BudMan    3,544

Well with 866 PHY, that is 2 streams. So yeah you could do 360 with that... Prob up to about 500, for sure 4 something.  Not really "better" just using more streams..

You could always go the usb adapter route on your pc.. In theory even a usb 2 should be able to get your full internet speed.. But usb 3 would be better if you have 1.. USB wifi can be flaky - but might be worth a shot if you don't have any open slots..

bikeman25    63

Yeah think will go with USB 3.0 AC1900 wifi adapter,  should work maybe ok,  I have open 3.0 and type A 3.1 ports still open on PC, so should work fine i'd imagine,  Will buy that soon here,   Thank you for all the replies and advice on this matter

+BudMan    3,544

Wow that thing is huge ;)  Does it come with that stand?  Cuz you sure and the F couldn't just plug that directly into most usb connections..

Just so we are clear you understand that 1900 number is PHY, and its also marketing nonsense combining both the 2.4 and 5 PHY numbers 600+1300... Which could never be used at the same time... I don't see why they don't just clearly state 600-1300?

bikeman25    63

Does Come with the stand, have one for Mom's PC, after her older 2.4 adapter died,  so bought that one,     And I don't know why they don't clearly state the proper numbers either, but guess way it is unforuately,  tried setting up Comcast gateway further today with laptops ethernet port, get admin password changed,  firewall security level a little higher, up to medium from Low,  and even the ethernet ports didn't work on that Gateway lol