Lights and Alexa

So I got an Alexa device.  Were on sale on Amazon.  Just the newest gen Alexa Echo.  I am liking it so far but just curious on what a good light bulb would be to use with Alexa.  Would be nice to walk in to my place and turn on the lights by voice.  Any recommendations on a good build to use?   Multi color preferable.

Also, I changed the action word from Alexa to Computer....because well, Star Trek.

Thanks

Sorry I missed this thread.

What Echo device did you get? The Echo Plus has a built in hub so you're able to be a little more flexible with devices that you buy. 

Will the smart plugs allow you control more than the power for a bulb? i.e. you won't be able to change the colour right?

4 minutes ago, xendrome said:

TP-Link bulbs.

How do these compare to Hue bulbs. I've found that whilst these are more expensive, they are superior (better colour/control, better 3rd party support)

31 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Sorry I missed this thread.

What Echo device did you get? The Echo Plus has a built in hub so you're able to be a little more flexible with devices that you buy. 

Will the smart plugs allow you control more than the power for a bulb? i.e. you won't be able to change the colour right?

I just got the Echo Dot 3rd Gen.    They are on sale now.  I have another device with the digital clock coming in a week or so.  Then I ordered a couple of the Amazon Smart Plugs that do not require a HUB.  Will not be able to change the color since my LEDs are just white, but I plan on buying a separate color changing bulb for that in the room where I want that option.

30 minutes ago, xendrome said:

TP-Link bulbs.

Thanks.  Will look in to these.

24 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

How do these compare to Hue bulbs. I've found that whilst these are more expensive, they are superior (better colour/control, better 3rd party support)

I plan on just getting one of these so the cost is not that big a deal.  Just need it in one room.  So I will look in to Hue as well.

9 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Worth noting you can also go with replacement switches as well, if that's cheaper (eg: one switch can do multiple ceiling lights)

I saw the smart switches.  Just do not need that.  I just need to turn on a few lights if I am coming in to the house with my hands full and it is dark.  Only plan on having a few lights configured for this.

SO, the Alexa Smart plugs are working well.  Took me a sec to figure out they will only work on 1.4ghz but after I made an adjustment, connected and works great.  No hub required.   Currently got one in my living room and one in the bedroom.  Prob get another one for the office.  Also, waiting on a new echo for my bedroom with a digital clock. Then I think I will be set for a while.

On 11/17/2019 at 2:25 AM, techbeck said:

SO, the Alexa Smart plugs are working well.  Took me a sec to figure out they will only work on 1.4ghz but after I made an adjustment, connected and works great.  No hub required.   Currently got one in my living room and one in the bedroom.  Prob get another one for the office.  Also, waiting on a new echo for my bedroom with a digital clock. Then I think I will be set for a while.

Oh nice, are there any cool features that make it stand out from any other smart plug? 

4 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Oh nice, are there any cool features that make it stand out from any other smart plug? 

Not really.  Just smartplug.  I looked at others and the Amazon ones got the best reviews.  And  figured since they were made by Amazon, that they would work well with Alexa.   All I had to do was enable the 2g/2.4ghz on my wifi and everything worked well after

Edited by techbeck
  • Like 1

sorry im late to the party on this one,

I currently have around 18 smart bulbs in my home setup.

I have Philips  Hue bulbs for my living room ambilight setup. Ans a mixture of cheap "smartlife" compatible bulbs around the house (can be controlled from alexa and google) and 4 smart plugs for outdoor and under counter  lights all the devices work with alexa and google. its now mostly plug and play.

The only thing they dont work so well with is my R8000 nighthawk router, i have to manually set the 3 networks (2x5g & 1x2.4g) to get them to work as most of the cheap bulbs only work on 2.4g networks