Computer does not boot

Antdrioite

I have been trying a lot for days but running out of money and patience atm. 

Problem: pc won't boot (looks like cpu) 

Happens every time. 

Bought a complete new ryzen 7 3700x that wouldn't start with my b450 tomahawk. Decided to buy a new MOBO after finding outer ppl with a similar problem. I got the gigabyte x570 gaming x. 

All the fans etc will turn of during boot but get nothing on screen(shouldn't be my VGA since everything works with my old cpu/mobo) 

The thing that seems to happen:

Cpu fan starts up, then cpu is starting up and taking power. Then the fan goes dark for a few seconds and the cpu seems to die down.

I think there is a problem here. I don't think my fan should stop spinning for a second. Just can't figure out if it's psu, cpu or mobo. 

When my cpu power cable or ram isn't plugged in the fan does not go off but the cpu doesn't seem to turn on either. Only when everything is plugged in does the cpu try to start up before it apparently crashes. 

So my system for clarification:

PSU: corsair RM850 gold

Gpu: gigabyte rtx 2060

Ram: one corsair vengeance ddr4 8 gb atm

Cpu:ryzen 7 3700x 

Mobo: gigabyte 570x gaming x

Mindovermaster

I think you're motherboard needs a firmware update before you can use the 3rd gen AMDs...

• Like 1
Barney T.

I'd say power supply first. Change that out and see if you get a normal boot up.

Mindovermaster
1 hour ago, Barney T. said:

I'd say power supply first. Change that out and see if you get a normal boot up.

I don't think so, as his fans power up. But yes, it could be a deciding factor.

Just came to mind, are you sure the 24-pin, 4/8-pin for CPU and 4/6pin for your gfx card a plugged in snugly?

Antdrioite
9 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I think you're motherboard needs a firmware update before you can use the 3rd gen AMDs...

Normally not. X570 is 3th gen ready

8 hours ago, Barney T. said:

I can try but this PSU is a month old and 850w should be plenty no? 

Antdrioite
7 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I don't think so, as his fans power up. But yes, it could be a deciding factor.

Just came to mind, are you sure the 24-pin, 4/8-pin for CPU and 4/6pin for your gfx card a plugged in snugly?

Yes, gpu clearly indicates it has power, mobo wouldn't start and cpu doesn't start and stop if it's not plugged in. It will just not start/ just the fan. So everything should be plugged in fine. 

+spikey_richie

Random one for you, but I have something similar from time to time. The cause of my issue is that the Legacy PCI mode gets disabled in the BIOS somehow, and I have to plug in my old GTS 450 to get it to boot into the BIOS. I can then save and exit, and put my regular GPU back in until the issue re-occurs. If you have an old GPU, or can use the on-board VDU (if it has one) then get yourself into the BIOS and hunt for a Legacy PCI mode.

Antdrioite
2 minutes ago, spikey_richie said:

Random one for you, but I have something similar from time to time. The cause of my issue is that the Legacy PCI mode gets disabled in the BIOS somehow, and I have to plug in my old GTS 450 to get it to boot into the BIOS. I can then save and exit, and put my regular GPU back in until the issue re-occurs. If you have an old GPU, or can use the on-board VDU (if it has one) then get yourself into the BIOS and hunt for a Legacy PCI mode.

it really shouldn't be a gpu problem. The same error occurs with just one ram and the cpu put in. And the gpu works fine on my older mobo/cpu

Barney T.
8 hours ago, Antdrioite said:

Normally not. X570 is 3th gen ready

I can try but this PSU is a month old and 850w should be plenty no? 

Power supplies can go at any time. I'd switch it and see before going further. At least you can check one likely source off the list.

• Like 1
Antdrioite
15 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

Power supplies can go at any time. I'd switch it and see before going further. At least you can check one likely source off the list.

but it still works with an older mobo/cpu and provides power for the fans and lights. So is it dead?

Mindovermaster
5 minutes ago, Antdrioite said:

but it still works with an older mobo/cpu and provides power for the fans and lights. So is it dead?

TEST it. It could have enough power to start the fans, but not the whole motherboard.

Antdrioite
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

TEST it. It could have enough power to start the fans, but not the motherboard.

can I test it without buying a new one?

Mindovermaster
4 minutes ago, Antdrioite said:

can I test it without buying a new one?

Use an old one that is laying around...

Or have a multimeter?

Antdrioite

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Use an old one that is laying around...

Or have a multimeter?

unfortunately not, can maybe borrow one somewhere. And I bought htis one because my old one wouldn't do anything at all with my new stuff: 550W

Antdrioite
1 hour ago, Antdrioite said:

unfortunately not, can maybe borrow one somewhere. And I bought htis one because my old one wouldn't do anything at all with my new stuff: 550W

I tried with my old one and same issue but of course it is a lot less powerfull. Just wanted to mention that I tries with that one

Antdrioite

Problem got solved (not sure how I can close this topic)

The fan turning off wasn't really a problem after all. new mobo had trouble finding my screen. Moving my gpu to the pciex16 instead of the 4 solved this issue. My mobo read that one standard and couldn't find the other, at least not easily.

Fair warning though for the B450 tomahawk, I would not recommend using 3th gen amd processors with them. If you have to upgrade both mobo and cpu definitely go for a X570 at least. All my problems started with that mobo, it might work fine in the beginning but problems with the cpu are likely enough to occur.

thanks for the help people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
+spikey_richie
1 hour ago, Antdrioite said:

My mobo read that one standard and couldn't find the other, at least not easily.

Likely related to the Legacy PCI mode I mentioned in my post.

Mindovermaster
5 hours ago, Antdrioite said:

Fair warning though for the B450 tomahawk, I would not recommend using 3th gen amd processors with them. If you have to upgrade both mobo and cpu definitely go for a X570 at least. All my problems started with that mobo, it might work fine in the beginning but problems with the cpu are likely enough to occur.

thanks for the help people.

Exctly what I said... You MIGHT need to do a BIOS update. Not all B450 boards have the latest BIOS versions...

goretsky

Hello,

The following AMD support department knowledgebase article might be of interest to you:

AMD Knowledgebase Article # PA-100, "Unable to Boot New Desktop System Configured with AMD 3rd Generation Ryzen™ Desktop Processor, and AMD Socket AM4 400-Series Motherboard"

Basically, AMD will send you an older, compatible processor to use with the motherboard to flash its BIOS.  You have to return the CPU to them, though after ten days, or you will be charged for it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
bloodaxe

This is exacly the problem I was having with my new Gigabyte X570 Gaming X MOBO. I pulled it all apart and was at the point of sending the board back. Thought it was weird the fan stopped for a second on startup too, and possibly related. It wasn't SImply moved the gpu to the pciex16 instead of the 4 as above and it all worked beautifully! Still doesn't explain why the native HDMI didn't work when I completely removed the GPU. Flaw in the BIOS if you ask me. huge thanks to the forum and Antdrioite though.

• Like 1
+xrobwx71

I see this is an old thread but for future surfers, this is what I use to test PSU's. It's cheap and works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=power+supply+tester&qid=1582807365&sr=8-4

Brandon H
2 hours ago, bloodaxe said:

This is exacly the problem I was having with my new Gigabyte X570 Gaming X MOBO. I pulled it all apart and was at the point of sending the board back. Thought it was weird the fan stopped for a second on startup too, and possibly related. It wasn't SImply moved the gpu to the pciex16 instead of the 4 as above and it all worked beautifully! Still doesn't explain why the native HDMI didn't work when I completely removed the GPU. Flaw in the BIOS if you ask me. huge thanks to the forum and Antdrioite though.

which CPU model do you have? not all of them have integrated graphics so it could be that.

• 7 months later...
Ishi

I just bought one of these boards and was having the same issue.  I wanted to give a big thanks to the spikey richie, I switched my gpu to the other slot and it's working normally

• Like 3