Windows system tray program that hides specific desktop icons?

Question

Basically, my organisation is very large and we all use laptops as our main systems.

The issue is that I.T. use the same image for all laptops, meaning all software comes on every laptop that may be needed for any team within the organisation.

This means 90% of the software on the laptops won't be used by each staff member.

Unfortunately, this also means there are a lot of desktop shortcuts to said programs, or to website resources etc.

I have been easily able to delete many of the icons but for some reason, some of them need administrator access to delete.

Does anyone know of a systray program that can hide specific desktop icons?

7 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Do you even have permission to install any apps, prob not...

Just make a folder and put the unused icons into it?

The fact that some (but not all) of the desktop shortcuts are undeletable is simply an oversight on I.T.'s part but rather than go through the hassle of going through them, I thought I'd do it myself.

I am unable to move the desktop shortcuts into a desktop folder due to lack of permissions.

I'd first ask your IT department if they have heard of SCCM before. All software used by the company is on every computer? There must be such a waste of budget going on unused licences...

But yeah, Xendrome has a point. If you don't even have the permission to delete or move a shortcut how will you install any program that may have the feature you're looking for?

Since I assume you're only doing this for your own computer, it would be simpler just to contact them and have them do it. It's their mistake, after all.

45 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'd first ask your IT department if they have heard of SCCM before. All software used by the company is on every computer? There must be such a waste of budget going on unused licences...

But yeah, Xendrome has a point. If you don't even have the permission to delete or move a shortcut how will you install any program that may have the feature you're looking for?

Since I assume you're only doing this for your own computer, it would be simpler just to contact them and have them do it. It's their mistake, after all.

It is their mistake but they'll consider me wanting to remove some desktop shortcuts as a ridiculous thing to contact them about when, technically, the icons are not causing any harm.

I partly agree that it is a bit too much of a reason to call them  so I thought I'd check here, to see if I could do something myself.

7 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

The fact that some (but not all) of the desktop shortcuts are undeletable is simply an oversight on I.T.'s part

That to me is the opposite of an oversight. This is most likely done on purpose, my organization does the same for a few icons. Just ignore them would be my recommendation or make the phone call to your help desk.