• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Weird screen issue - Samsung S9

sini    10

Experiencing an odd issue with my Samsung Galaxy S9+. Have Googled and looked for answer but can't find anything.

Basically, the screen works fine. But if it locks either via timeout or locking manually it will glitch if the screen turns on again within about 60 seconds or so. Sometimes it gets a green hue but everything is visible, other times it's all black with some green lines at the top. But it only happens if the screen hasn't been off for a certain time. If I wait a minute or so it'll work fine, every single time. It'll never glitch if it's been off for 60 seconds or there about.

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions as a resolution.

+BudMan    3,551

What version of firmware is it running?

sini    10

Firmware is 9.0

Build number PPR1.180610.011.G965FXXS7CSJ3

+BudMan    3,551

That is like really new, just came like last week right.. So take it, wasn't doing it before?

sini    10

Yes, fairly new but has actually been doing it for months. Had a number of updates throughout that time, been searching for fixes but gave up and thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone had ideas.

+BudMan    3,551

Well if its been doing it for months - its not related to the update.. So return it..   Did you contact support?

restroom    332

Are you rooted or stock?

sini    10

Stock, barely been out of the case since day 1. Looks brand new. Never dropped etc.

I didn't think it would be under warranty still, had it since launch. Appears it may be though.

Will pursue. Cheers.

restroom    332
On 11/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, sini said:

Stock, barely been out of the case since day 1. Looks brand new. Never dropped etc.

I didn't think it would be under warranty still, had it since launch. Appears it may be though.

Will pursue. Cheers.

In the UK we have consumer protection. So in the case of electrical goods, they have to be functional and fit for purpose for up to 6 years, otherwise the company you purchased from needs to take steps to either fix or replace the product. Although its up to the purchaser to prove the fault was not something they caused, if the fault is 6 months after purchase. I assume they may have something similar in Australia?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

sini    10

I guess that's pretty hard to prove. There is something similar here, regardless of what the warranty period is. But I found it is actually under warranty still. Problem is now since I have reset to factory it isn't even half as bad. It still glitches but only if unlocking within maybe 2-3 seconds.

Thinking I just sell it with disclosure. I have the Note 10+ now.

restroom    332

You could find someone who will be willing to buy it to try and fix it up and sell at a profit im sure. Just make sure you are honest when disclosing the issue.