• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Tesla Cybertruck

macoman    2,609

from a revolutionary point of view, cybertruck are revolutionary and very aerodynamic but I will not buy it yet until probably they are in the market for at least 10 years. I never like to buy anything first generation. 

cork1958    1,718
On 11/27/2019 at 12:46 PM, Circaflex said:

All the technology in the world could be packed into that vehicle, but I wouldn't drive it. That "truck," is ugly.

Same here! Makes me wish I still had my El Camino though. :)

Peresvet    191
8 hours ago, DocM said:

One last try, staying in the Ford family; Explorer (SUV) and F-150 (Pickup.)

Explorer wheelbase: 119.1"

F-150 wheelbase: 122" - 163″

Explorer track: 66.9"

F-150 track: 67.6" - 73.9″ 

In short, the truck has a larger footprint. Also, for going over obstacles like a ridge,

Explorer

Approach angle: 20.1°

Departure angle: 22°

Break over angle: 17.1° - 17.7°

Clearance: 7.9" - 8.3"

F-150

Approach angle: 24.1° - 25.5°

Departure angle: 23.8° - 26.4°

Break over angle: 18.3° - 21.0°

Clearance: 8.4" - 9.4"

More is usually better for off-road, 

Finally, we've mentioned clearance, approach/departure angles, and large footprint.

But for off-road, you need a short wheel-base which is why F150 and Cybertack will fail.

Still thou, no mention of such basic must-haves as:

locking differential,

transmission capable of supplying high torque at low speeds,

adjustable tire pressure,

snorkel,

winch,

Warning: don't try to do any of that with Cybertruck, F-150, or any Ford for that matter.

And just FYI, this little beast costs more than $100,000. Available in the U.S. and Canada :D 

P.S. Yes, it can swim in water.

Edited by Peresvet

dead.cell    4,394
On 11/29/2019 at 9:55 PM, DocM said:

$39,990 (1-motor 2WD) and $49,990 (2-motor AWD) are also options.

Just sayin'

Is that before or after your estimated savings?  Reason being that the Model 3 you purchase from their site is at $39,490 before taxes/fees. Think you have to do a special order to get the $35k pricing still.

image.thumb.png.6d2e5c9e60ee2a46507475259002ba52.png

@Peresvet, I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but I was reading about concerns regarding towing boats. Supposedly, the Tesla warranty doesn't cover going into bodies of water, which makes me wonder if they'll protect/secure and guarantee the Cybertruck when launching boats and whatnot.  Hopefully that gets addressed, if it hasn't already.

(also not trying to sound like a debbie downer, but I'd like to stay realistic when it comes to measuring the capabilities as I hate getting my hopes up)

DocM    16,618
9 hours ago, dead.cell said:

Is that before or after your estimated savings?  Reason being that the Model 3 you purchase from their site is at $39,490 before taxes/fees. Think you have to do a special order to get the $35k pricing still.

@Peresvet

$35k Model 3's are special order because so few were being purchased; everyone was ordering the Long Range or Performance. Base models of most cars are the same.

State sales taxes, registration and licensing fees are always extra.

As of Jan 1. 2020 new Tesla purchasers will no longer get the federal EV income tax credit - it starts phasing out after the manufacturer produces 200,000 electric vehicles. State issued credits are different.

Tesla posted this promo. Wonder if they're going to to start media advertising as Cybertruck, Model Y and Roadster 2 get closer? 

Edited by DocM