• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xbox One S All-Digital Edition & games; how to buy them? Regular discs possible?

kiddingguy    93

Just a question... how to buy games on a Xbox One S All-Digital Edition?

Is it only on the Xbox Store? And/or digital via webstores? Or can I buy a regular 'disc' an insert some sort of code in the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition console/option/store?

In most cases there are always price cuts on regular discs - see upcoming Black Friday deals - and when I cannot benefit from this... what's the use of this kind of Xbox One S (All-Digital Edition)?

George P    6,455

I'm not sure about having a disc and transferring it to digital, that might not work.  Buying digital online from 3rd party stores should give you some good sales prices compared to directly from MS.  

dipsylalapo    1,951

Yeah as George P said, you'll need to use the MS store or a site like CD Keys. 

As far as I know, there's no way to transfer a physical disc to a digital copy.

+RNDM_STRNGR    10,597

I am not 100% but pretty sure the key inside the disk box will allow you to just download the whole game

SnoopZ    324
10 minutes ago, Jimmy1 said:

I am not 100% but pretty sure the key inside the disk box will allow you to just download the whole game

There isn't a key in Xbox disc boxes , at least there never used to be when I had an Xbox.

Code Name: Lockdown    9,521

Can a dvd drive over USB be used?

dipsylalapo    1,951
1 hour ago, SnoopZ said:

There isn't a key in Xbox disc boxes , at least there never used to be when I had an Xbox.

I haven't seen a key in the last two games I bought this year.

42 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

Can a dvd drive over USB be used?

Nope. 

• Sad 1

Skiver    1,991

If needing access to disk based games is a must have, then get the version that has the disk drive ?

Matthew S.    1,235
8 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Just a question... how to buy games on a Xbox One S All-Digital Edition?

Is it only on the Xbox Store? And/or digital via webstores? Or can I buy a regular 'disc' an insert some sort of code in the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition console/option/store?

In most cases there are always price cuts on regular discs - see upcoming Black Friday deals - and when I cannot benefit from this... what's the use of this kind of Xbox One S (All-Digital Edition)?

It's in the name... What did you think All-Digital Edition stood for?

kiddingguy    93
5 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

It's in the name... What did you think All-Digital Edition stood for?

Yes, I know.

Too bad there is no code in the box...

SnoopZ    324
33 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Yes, I know.

Too bad there is no code in the box...

Why would there be, the whole point is you don't buy discs with this console.

To be honest i am surprised someone actually bought the disc-less console in the first place. 

• Like 2

George P    6,455
2 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

Why would there be, the whole point is you don't buy discs with this console.

To be honest i am surprised someone actually bought the disc-less console in the first place. 

It's a fine option if you're already in the digital world fully, like I am.  I haven't bought a physical disc game since 2014.    And that's on console.  On PC?  man, probably way back in late 90s, 97 or 98?

SnoopZ    324
29 minutes ago, George P said:

It's a fine option if you're already in the digital world fully, like I am.  I haven't bought a physical disc game since 2014.    And that's on console.  On PC?  man, probably way back in late 90s, 97 or 98?

The cost is generally an issue in alot of places for Digital Games, i am mainly digital only on the PS4 Pro but i refuse to pay £60 for a game so wait for the online sales and buy from different regions, picking up games for as little as £10-£15.

My point being the overall cost of buying a Digital Only Console will cost more than the Disc based version when you take into account the extra game cost unless the buyer also takes advantage of super cheap Digital deals.

Edited by SnoopZ
  • Like 1

Brandon H    3,876
16 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

The cost is generally an issue in alot of places for Digital Games, i am mainly digital only on the PS4 Pro but i refuse to pay £60 for a game so wait for the online sales and buy from different regions, picking up games for as little as £10-£15.

My point being the overall cost of buying a Digital Only Console will cost more than the Disc based version when you take into account the extra game cost unless the buyer also takes advantage of super cheap Digital deals.

you don't have to buy directly from Microsoft Store; there are plenty of online retailers that sell codes for cheap.

• cdkeys.com
  • kinguin.net
  • g2a.com
  • gameflip.com

just to name a few :)

SnoopZ    324
55 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

you don't have to buy directly from Microsoft Store; there are plenty of online retailers that sell codes for cheap.

• cdkeys.com
  • kinguin.net
  • g2a.com
  • gameflip.com

just to name a few :)

Yes i know, but is it still really worth it? Not in my opinion when the Disc console only costs like £10-£20 more in the UK for a V2 version £200 for the digital only and £215 for the regular disc version, i just don't think it is worth it and i agree with the OP on his last paragraph.

kiddingguy    93
48 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

Yes i know, but is it still really worth it? Not in my opinion when the Disc console only costs like £10-£20 more in the UK for a V2 version £200 for the digital only and £215 for the regular disc version, i just don't think it is worth it and i agree with the OP on his last paragraph.

On a Black Friday deal the difference is 199 EUR vs 129 EUR for the All-Digital Edition.

SnoopZ    324
2 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

On a Black Friday deal the difference is 199 EUR vs 129 EUR for the All-Digital Edition.

So for the sake  of 70 Euros if you can get regular cheap digital games all year around then for someone who will never use the Bluray drive it maybe worth it, the reason I am saying this is I am 100% digital now and only buy when games are on off like now, usually from the US store as I live in UK which screws me over.

So what you going to do is it worth the hassle and possible reduction in trade in value?

SnoopZ    324

Another option is subscribe to Game Pass that may solve your gaming needs?

kiddingguy    93
9 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

So for the sake  of 70 Euros if you can get regular cheap digital games all year around then for someone who will never use the Bluray drive it maybe worth it, the reason I am saying this is I am 100% digital now and only buy when games are on off like now, usually from the US store as I live in UK which screws me over.

So what you going to do is it worth the hassle and possible reduction in trade in value?

I do have a separate BluRay player.

And given the fact that my current X360 is too old to trade in/sell, I guess I'll be fine...

Plus the sites mentioned by @SnoopZ are worth checking out. I already knew g2a, but thnx for the rest.

Skiver    1,991
13 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

If there had of been an option to buy the X as a disk-less and save me a few £s then I would have been all over that. For me, there's zero point in disks, as all they are is a form of authentication to say you have a license to play the game. The Game still needs to install to the Disk Drive of the system in order to be played. Most games these days come with Day one Multiple GB patches making the content on the disk absolutely useless.

George P    6,455

This is going a bit off topic but I would like to see MS push for the X to be the new "base" Xbox model once scarlet hits, pushing the S out.   One way to do so would be to do a disc-less X option later on and cut another $50 or so off the price.   I see the X by  itself right now on amazon for $329.99 for example, with no game etc.    Later on if it goes to $299 then it's legit the base option and you can start to work out the S.  Toss in a new X all-digital for $239.99 or so, would make for a interesting run up to Scarlet.