• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Cheap easy way to extend wifi?

Question

Evolution-24    0

Hello,

my parents would like to be able to use their notebook online in the tv room, but currently it doesnt work, signal not strong enough, they also want to buy a firestick to use on wireless as their tv setup doesnt include catchup apps, and these are with the amazon fire stick I understand, which is fairly cheap atm.

can anyone suggest any options that would extend the wireless signal easily at a fairly good price please?

uk products or sites please

The Tv room is approx 15 meter away from the router.

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

helpifIcan    45

The most efficeint way is with power line adapters. No clue for the fire stick.

Brandon H    3,175
Just now, helpifIcan said:

The most efficeint way is with power line adapters. No clue for the fire stick.

you can get an ethernet adapter for the Fire TV Stick. though the speeds are slightly worse than Wireless AC due to it being a USB 2.0 micro port.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Ethernet-Adapter-Fire-Devices/dp/B074TC662N/

Evolution-24    0

The notebook only has wifi, so power line adapters is a no go.

Thanks Brandon I think that might be worth a go, I notice that amazon uk does have that product you suggested :) 

Brandon H    3,175
1 hour ago, Evolution-24 said:

The notebook only has wifi, so power line adapters is a no go.

Thanks Brandon I think that might be worth a go, I notice that amazon uk does have that product you suggested :) 

powerline adapters could still be viable if you have good wires in your wall; you could run from your router to the needed room and have an AP plugged in there for the wifi. shouldn't loose too much speed that way :)

would work best with a gigabit port on your router and gigabit powerline adapters for minimal as possible speed loss. how much speed you truly loose would depend on the quality of the power lines in your walls with this but from my experience it gives a rather reliable setup when you can't run pure ethernet cables to the needed area.

something like the following for the powerline adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA7010KIT-Powerline-Transfer-Streaming-Configuration/dp/B06WRSHKC6/ and like the following for an AP https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ there are other cheaper AP brands if needed but Ubiquiti is one of the most trusted/reliable around.

edit: since you mentioned you're UK I changed my amazon links in this post to the UK ones for your convenience.

• Thanks 1

Mindovermaster    2,529
1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

powerline adapters could still be viable if you have good wires in your wall; you could run from your router to the needed room and have an AP plugged in there for the wifi. shouldn't loose too much speed that way :)

would work best with a gigabit port on your router and gigabit powerline adapters for minimal as possible speed loss. how much speed you truly loose would depend on the quality of the power lines in your walls with this but from my experience it gives a rather reliable setup when you can't run pure ethernet cables to the needed area.

something like the following for the powerline adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA7010KIT-Powerline-Transfer-Streaming-Configuration/dp/B06WRSHKC6/ and like the following for an AP https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ there are other cheaper AP brands if needed but Ubiquiti is one of the most trusted/reliable around.

edit: since you mentioned you're UK I changed my amazon links in this post to the UK ones for your convenience.

IIRC, there are line adaptyers that also carry wireless in one. It's like an AP, in sense.

• Like 1

Brandon H    3,175
5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

IIRC, there are line adaptyers that also carry wireless in one. It's like an AP, in sense.

There are but I dont know if there are any AC ones or how limited the setup/controls are. Might be worth looking though

• Thanks 1

blocker1    0

Thanks all for your responses. They are really helpful. You may also refer any wifi guide to get some more information about this.

sagum    622

Depending on the router you have, you could try playing with the antenna directions a little, or moving the router to a higher place can greatly improve coverage. 
Most of the routers that have antenna that stick out are omidirectional, meaning they send their signal out in every direction however it is a cone shape starting at the tip of the antenna and spreads out down wards from it. You can try changing it so it's horizontal to try and give more spread towards the tv room. 
Alternatively, you could try building a little parabolic reflector so the majority of the the signal is pushed in one direction.
Your best option really would to be run ethernet from your router and use a 2nd cheap router, or an access point for that part of the house.
If you try to use wifi extenders and the coverage isn't great already, you're going to get great wifi signal from the extender but poor internet connectivity from the extender connecting back to your router's wifi signal like the laptop or firestick did in the first place.
Personally I'd move the router to the highest point in the house if possible, or try moving the router around a little, flip it upside down if need be to see if that helps first.

helpifIcan    45

Sorry I wasn't more clear wifi powerline adapters have been around for years they usually have a wired one with the wifi option.

Best of luck solving the problem.