Linux driver for RTL8723BE/RTL8821AE/RTL8822BE/RTL8821CE/RTL8723DE WIFI

19 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Did he download the git repo?

Basically, you should be able to unzip it, open a terminal in the folder and then

git checkout -b desiredbranchname

Then just modify the instructions after the git clone to the current directory structure if needed. I can give you exact instructions later if needed, just give me the branch name. 

Thank you so much, Branch name we named "realtek"

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Did he download the git repo?

Basically, you should be able to unzip it, open a terminal in the folder and then

git checkout -b desiredbranchname

Then just modify the instructions after the git clone to the current directory structure if needed. I can give you exact instructions later if needed, just give me the branch name. 

My friend is getting this error when tried to run that command

IMG_20191207_110151.jpg

44 minutes ago, macoman said:

My friend is getting this error when tried to run that command

IMG_20191207_110151.jpg

Wtf. Deepin doesn’t ship with git?  Alright. Gimme a few minutes. 

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Wtf. Deepin doesn’t ship with git?  Alright. Gimme a few minutes. 

That's a Debian thing, you would think so, right?

21 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That's a Debian thing, you would think so, right?

Not very helpful. 

That said, not necessarily. Once Deepin decided to use and distribute it, it became their decision on whether or not to include it. 

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Not very helpful. 

That said, not necessarily. Once Deepin decided to use and distribute it, it became their decision on whether or not to include it. 

Wasn't necissarily helping him. I was asking you. But yeah, I suppose...

33 minutes ago, macoman said:

If it's not too much to ask, do you mind providing the command to use it?

sudo dkms add ./rtl8723de
sudo dkms install rtl8723de/5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111-1414
sudo depmod -a
sudo reboot

Execute each command after extracting the zip file. This assumes you are using a terminal one directory above the decompressed file.

Edited by adrynalyne

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

sudo depmod -a
sudo reboot

Execute each command after extracting the zip file. This assumes you are using a terminal one directory above the decompressed file.

Thank you so much, will test it tomorrow... Appreciate all the assistance offered.

On 12/7/2019 at 2:38 PM, adrynalyne said:

sudo depmod -a
sudo reboot

Update: The command worked without issue, rebooted laptop and still WIFI not available and does not load the drivers. So we decided to download Debian 10.2 because it have linux kernel 5 and could be compatible with the laptop. We will test it and report back.

9 minutes ago, macoman said:

Update: The command worked without issue, rebooted laptop and still WIFI not available and does not load the drivers. So we decided to download Debian 10.2 because it have linux kernel 5 and could be compatible with the laptop. We will test it and report back.

if that doesn't work then you may want to think moving away from Debian to a linux distro that's more about staying up to date and may have more drivers available.

Here are a few distros I'd recommend:

1. Manjaro (Arch Linux based Distro. Uses XFCE desktop environment by default)
  2. Fedora
  3. Mint Linux
  4. Ubuntu (use flavor of choice; has options of most desktop environments)

30 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

if that doesn't work then you may want to think moving away from Debian to a linux distro that's more about staying up to date and may have more drivers available.

2. Fedora
  3. Mint Linux

Aside from Manjaro, don't use it. It's so bloated with crap you never use.

I am using ArcoLinux. A fork of Arch. Uses XFCE by default. Very springy, more streamlined, IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I am using ArcoLinux. A fork of Arch. Uses XFCE by default. Very springy, more streamlined, IMHO.

There is nothing wrong with any of those choices: they are all solid. 

9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have not had any issue with Manjaro; it comes with some useful tools. Bloat is a strong word as the extra things it comes with doesn't slow down the system at all; I ran it for the longest time on a lower end laptop (until that laptop died of water damage that is)

that aside, I've heard good things about ArcoLinux as well so either should treat OPs friend well. Arch is honestly one of my favorite base distros; vanilla is a bit more work to setup but the distros that base off of it like Manjaro and ArcoLinux make it super easy to work with. Arch and it's AUR repository are the best software repositories in linux IMO.

37 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I have not had any issue with Manjaro; it comes with some useful tools. Bloat is a strong word as the extra things it comes with doesn't slow down the system at all; I ran it for the longest time on a lower end laptop (until that laptop died of water damage that is)

that aside, I've heard good things about ArcoLinux as well so either should treat OPs friend well. Arch is honestly one of my favorite base distros; vanilla is a bit more work to setup but the distros that base off of it like Manjaro and ArcoLinux make it super easy to work with. Arch and it's AUR repository are the best software repositories in linux IMO.

Was always bloaty to me. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, or...

When I used Manjaro, a lot of the AUR programs didn't work for some stikin reason. IDK, I used it when I was just getting into Linux, so.. ho-hum.

But, to your second point, yes, I like to be at the bleeding edge. Where "anything is possible". Arch users complain about their install breaking. I NEVER came across that scenario. Is that just people getting too deep into programs and messing them up?

9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Was always bloaty to me. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, or...

When I used Manjaro, a lot of the AUR programs didn't work for some stikin reason. IDK, I used it when I was just getting into Linux, so.. ho-hum.

But, to your second point, yes, I like to be at the bleeding edge. Where "anything is possible". Arch users complain about their install breaking. I NEVER came across that scenario. Is that just people getting too deep into programs and messing them up?

Nope. That is what we call, inevitable. If you use it long enough and install updates, or worse, wait too long to install updates, you will see issues sooner or later. It happens with all rolling releases. 

22 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Nope. That is what we call, inevitable. If you use it long enough and install updates, or worse, wait too long to install updates, you will see issues sooner or later. It happens with all rolling releases. 

Inconceivable! -Princess Bride

:laugh: 

2 hours ago, Brandon H said:

2. Fedora
  3. Mint Linux

We tried Debian 10.2 and its worst than deepin. It doesn't even have support for dkms. We will try this coming week Fedora. I tried before Fedora and always as been a solid OS for newbies.

4 minutes ago, macoman said:

We tried Debian 10.2 and its worst than deepin. It doesn't even have support for dkms. We will try this coming week Fedora. I tried before Fedora and always as been a solid OS for newbies.

I’ll be surprised if Fedora doesn’t work. If it doesn’t, then I doubt any distro has drivers. 

10 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I’ll be surprised if Fedora doesn’t work. If it doesn’t, then I doubt any distro has drivers. 

Good news, he told me he tried late last night, Fedora 31 live and the live version without installing the OS was able to recognize WIFI device and able to connect to it. He is happy now... LMAO!

• Like 2