mandrake 10

Suse 9 is pretty good with acpi. It shuts off the display when I close the lid on my laptop. fans & disks only run when needed, too. I don't think linux can do hibernate(suspend to disk) yet, though.

I wanted to try out Mandrake 10 and before the install begins the screen fills up with never-ending X error messages. not a good sign!

KenLin, most notebook computers use APM.

meccax5, Kernel 2.6 has improved ACPI support. It should do what you want it to do. I'm not sure about distros with 2.4.

Mandrake 10 includes kernel 2.6, so ACPI support should be fine. 2.6 supports Suspend To Disk, with experimental support for

Software Suspend and Sleep States.

I installed Mandrake 10 on someone elses comp, but it was a desktop, not laptop.

I was relatively unimpressed, but that's just because I feel the need to compile everything that hits my hard disk :rolleyes: :laugh:

muuust.... compile... something......

Anyway, It's very.. ummm... nice looking!

lol.

The default settings are very good, boot directly into X, etc, other nice stuff....

tried it...as most distros do, it got messed up because of my cd-rom's ide-scsi converter (damn toshiba!) which somehow messes up my dvd capabilities and my pcmcia slots (though I can still use the cd-rom portion of my drive...go figure).

didn't even get around to testing out how good the acpi was (mine uses it) as if it messes up doing the rest, I won't touch it.